High School Hot Rod: My S52 swapped e30 track/autox car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High School Hot Rod: My S52 swapped e30 track/autox car

Hey R3v, I decided to start a build thread on my s52 swapped E30. I am a little late on starting the thread but I decided it's better late than never, plus there is still a lot to be done to the car.

My car is a 1984 325e. When I bought it, it didn't run, the paint was awful, and the dash was badly cracked but it was rust free. I found out that the car was not running because it had no spark. Although it seemed like an easy fix, it wasn't. I found out that the reason my car didn't have spark was because the crank position sensor peg on the flywheel had sheared off from a broken throwout bearing. So I had to pull the transmisssion. Fortunately for me my dad has a friend with a machine shop who was able to build me up a new peg for my flywheel. When the transmission was out I decided to do the clutch because the one that was in the car was pretty worn. After all that work I was able to get the car running and I drove it with the ETA for almost a year. I did a couple autocrosses with it completely stock and decided that it needed more power, much better suspension, and wider wheels with stickier tires. I started searching for some used cheap parts to try to keep the car in my high school budget.

There was someone local parting out their S52 swapped E30 track car and I decided to buy the full engine swap including an S52 switched to OBD1, ZF transmission, full stainless steel exhaust using a raceland header, 540i MAF, M50 intake manifold, driveshaft, wiring harness, and ecu. I also bought the 25mm IE front sway bar and the full ground control kit from the car.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jackhdmn; 10-07-2014, 05:00 PM.

My next step was to start taking apart my car. It took me two nights to get the engine out. I spent one more night getting the rest of the junk out and powerwashing the engine bay. My next focus was the brake booster. I went to a local junk yard and pulled a brake booster and master cylinder from a 325ix that I planned on using so my intake manifold would fit. Unfortunatly l when I tried to install the IX booster I had three brake lines for the original master cylinder and the IX master cylinder was only set up for two. With that disappointment I did some research on how to get my intake manifold to fit and found the move the booster over trick. I measured, marked, and drilled four holes 1/2 inch to the right for the new booster position and reinstalled the original booster.

Later that day my dad and I installed the engine, transmission, driveshaft, and the shifter linkage. When it came to the engine mounts the solid ones the previous owner had given me wouldnt fit. Our solution was to get some adapters built so we could use the stock M20 mounts. we called up our friend with a machine shop and he built me up some beautiful engine mount adapters.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jackhdmn; 10-07-2014, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Looks like an awesome project! Keep up the good progress!

I'd suggest getting a flickr or photobucket and host your pics, my kliky finger would appreciate it :up:
      -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
      08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
      318iS, slow build/garage queen...
      '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
      Originally posted by roguetoaster
      Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

Originally posted by DER E30 View Post
        Looks like an awesome project! Keep up the good progress!

I'd suggest getting a flickr or photobucket and host your pics, my kliky finger would appreciate it :up:

I was planning on doing that very soon. It's kind of a hassle to resize every photo when adding attachments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

After the engine was installed I planned on starting the exhaust next. I put on the sway bar spacer and the THR CABs so my header would fit. Even with the sway bar spacer the header still hit the sway bar and it also hit the subframe. My solution was to dent the subframe where the header hit and where it touched the sway bar. After I was done with the torch and hammer the header fit perfectly.
          Last edited by Jackhdmn; 10-07-2014, 05:03 PM.

Comment

You were able to buy all that on a high school budget?! That's so awesome! I could barely afford to buy a bag of skittles once a week before football practice on my high school budget.

Comment

Awesome pics, subscribed!
              M Technic Badge Replicas for sale
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=336902

Comment

Hey! I met you at a couple autox this past summer (guy in the burgundy e30). You must have bought Brad's driveline? Looks like you're getting work done, keep it up! :D
                My Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Wagen View Post
                  Hey! I met you at a couple autox this past summer (guy in the burgundy e30). You must have bought Brad's driveline? Looks like you're getting work done, keep it up! :D

I remember you! And most if those parts did come from Brad.

Last edited by Jackhdmn; 10-07-2014, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Looks good, coming along nicely! Sub'd
                    '86 Delphin 335i turbo -
                    '88 Schwarz 325i -
                    '94 w124 e420 -
                    Turbo m30b35 Build Thread

Comment

Nice! Honestly I was a little sad that you slapped wheels and suspension on it; I'd have liked to see it stock with an s52 :p

Comment

Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post
                        Nice! Honestly I was a little sad that you slapped wheels and suspension on it; I'd have liked to see it stock with an s52 :p

I haven't put in the new suspension yet and I recently switched the car back to bottle caps to save my sticky tires. It's a real sleeper.

Comment

Now that the engine was mounted and the header was on it was time to work on the cooling system. First I installed my Spal 16" fan to the E36 radiator. I did this by cutting two pieces of angle iron and drilling holes for the mounting spot on the fan. To connect to the radiator I reused holes that the previous owner had put in the top flange of the radiator (I forgot to photograph the brackets). After the fan was mounted I installed the radiator, fan, and all of the coolant hoses.

My next was to hook up the wiring harness, install the intake, and fuel lines. I plugged in the wiring harness into all of the sensors, then ran the wiring harness to the glove box where I installed the ECU. Once everything electrical was hooked up it was time to install the intake manifold, 540i MAF, fuel lines, and air filter.

The previous owner had a custom 3" stainless steel exhaust made up for the car. The exhaust used V bands and had a magniflow muffler at the front of the exhaust when at the back there was an option of a strait pipe or a flowmaster muffler. The craftsmanship is amazing and the welds are beautiful.

The last step before driving the car was to connect the engine harness to the body side harness. The previous owner had changed the engine harness X20 connecter to a C101. The harness should plug right into the body side harness. It didn't. It turned out that because my car is a 84 I had a square C101. To solve this I took a trip to the junkyard and cut off a C101. Using butt connecters (I plan to solder the wires together later) I spliced in the new C101. I only connected enough wires to make the car run and planned on dealing with wires for the gauges and diagnostic lights after I was sure the car ran.

This chart was very useful:

I tried to start the car and the car would crank but wouldn't start. I first checked to make sure that every sensor was hooked up properly and it all checked out. Next I checked for fuel and when I pulled off the fuel lines I found one with fuel in it and one completley dry. After a little research I found I had hooked the fuel lines up backwards. I reinstalled the fuel lines correctly and the car fired right up and took the car on its first drive with a new engine!

Comment

Awesome! Ain't nothing quite like the first start of a new motor!
                            -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
                            08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
                            318iS, slow build/garage queen...
                            '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
                            Originally posted by roguetoaster
                            Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

Today I installed the 3.25lsd. It really helps put the power down.

Comment

Working...
                              X