Project Izzy: The AWD Money Pit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah I saw that, nice!

Easiest would be using X5 3.0 5 speed trans and TC but then you'll loose the TC locking ability..
    E30 325ix M50 turbo 7 spd DCT 4wd 840awhp @ 31 psi.
    E30 M50 6 spd 764whp @ 24psi.
    E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

The X5 trans and tc crosses my mind a lot, but I'm not 100% sure about it
      My Garage
      2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
      1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
      1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
      Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Why are you against the frankin pan? I know that the oil capacity is less than ideal for a 24v but you could run an oil cooler and that would increase your oil capacity. Do you not trust a welded pan? The only other thing I have been considering is getting a 24v XI pan and cutting it up and my IX pan and welding the IX diff mount on the XI pan, but I have not researched enough whether the XI pan will fit without modification or how much oil capacity a 24v XI pan holds. Either way I will be chopping the pan up and welding so no matter what of the two options I will be running a frankin pan.
        How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

The biggest reason I'm against it is the oil capacity, but since I'm running a M54 a oil cooler isn't the easiest. From what I've read you can either buy some really expensive VAC hardware or you can grab a S54 oil filter housing, either way I'm spending A LOT of money. Also with the x5 pan I can run the brake booster, without modification. Also with the x5 I get a much stronger diff, granted my m54 isn't going to be snapping diffs left and right, but if I decide to go force induction or S54 swap then the x5 diff will help me sleep at night. Plus I can run a different diff ratio with the x5 diff.

The fraken pan is definitely the easiest and cheapest, and best of all has been done before.

I'm sure you've seen that thread, but theres a lot of good info there
          My Garage
          Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by stonea View Post
            The X5 trans and tc crosses my mind a lot, but I'm not 100% sure about it
            Yeah that would be the easiest by far. A friend of mine drives a 700hp 330xi E46 with the same type of open TC and it works pretty well! At least on dry asphalt roads, not sure about winter time :P
            E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Got some odds and ends done. Mostly getting her ready for inspection, but before i fiddled with that silly maintenance I decided I needed MORE POWWA. Ok so its not really more power but I installed my turner motorsports chip that I got during their $100 off black Friday sale.

It was a lot more simple than I thought, however I'm not 100% certain my car had the original chip in it...

My ECU also had programmed written on it with red marker. I don't know if that means anything, but I thought I'd ask.

I also put in some dual trunk lights with LED's in them. I was rather nervous about this because it's the first time I've ever done anything involving wiring. It turns out it was actually REALLY easy and rather addicting to do.

I got super cocky after that and decided to finally fix my fog lights too! I went a head and added some yellow H1 bulbs too. I liked the look of the yellow light, but not so much of the yellow film. It looks slightly yellow during the day, but you can really tell the difference at night.

I also finally got around to fixing my driver side turn signal. It was blinking really fast, and I slapped the housing from the parts car and everything seemed to work after that. I don't have any pics of it working, but you'll just have to take my word for it, lol. I also fixed my side reflectors (Those were just bulbs).

Once it stops raining I'm going to try and put my e36 window switches in and maybe mess around with my smiley's and HIDs.
              Last edited by stonea; 01-17-2015, 03:10 PM.
              My Garage
              Feedback

Comment

Interesting car name choice...

Comment

Originally posted by izzy- View Post
                  Interesting car name choice...
                  lol, thanks. My friends daughter named my first Z3 "lil Grey" then my replacement Z3 is "Lexi" and my e30 is "Izzy". Theres a theme going on if anyone can spot it.

Warning Shameless Plug:
                  Also if you guys want to see more progress done on my car buy my stuff on eBay!!!!
                  Last edited by stonea; 01-17-2015, 05:59 PM.
                  My Garage
                  Feedback

Comment

Long time no update!

Well unfortunately stuff is happening:( I was coming home for spring break and I heard a grinding noise coming for my driver rear wheel. I pulled off for gas and went back there to see what it was and there were HUGE gashes in the rotor disk, and took at a peek at the pad, well it turns out there was no pad. The passenger side was just fine, and I just replaced the WHOLE rear braking system. Well I ordered new pads, rotors, and a driver caliper. Hopefully everything comes in on Friday.

*If you look closely you can see a rare sighting of my dads Z4 M roadster, lol

Also my passenger side mirror fell off again (it happened a lot last year) instead of replacing the mirror glass I just replaced the whole assembly from the parts car. It looks really shitty, but I'll eventually repaint the car.

Me and the roommate decided our house needed a bar so Izzy got to be used as a lumber mule. The guy at the yard gave us a weird look but honestly I was a little to proud to care. I would have driven around like that for a few days, lol. Also I got some tint for the fog lights, but they are WAAAAY to dark for my taste, but you guys can tell me what you think. I'll eventually get back to installing my smoked Depo's. But for now I installed my HIDs, I need to get new bulbs they're to white for me. Also I finally found some Warsteiner beer, I actually really liked it. To bad its a little to expensive for me. I picked up one more thing, a M54b30. Have no clue what I'm gonna do with it. It needs a head gasket so I think I'm just gonna replace it and sell it, but who knows. It was only $200 delivered to my front porch on craigslist, so I can't loose.

And just because Norfolk actually got some snow this year I had to take some pics.

My Garage
                    Feedback

Comment

Cool IX
                      https://www.facebook.com/Cry_77_IX-110483784967661
                      https://www.instagram.com/cry_77_ix/

Comment

I'm hurting to get back and work on my car, being at school away from it sucks. Good to see you're still getting shit done
                        1988 325iX - sold but not forgotten
                        1984 MTech1 323i

Comment

Originally posted by Sade View Post
                          Cool IX
                          Thanks man!!!

Originally posted by 6A LDY View Post
                          I'm hurting to get back and work on my car, being at school away from it sucks. Good to see you're still getting shit done
                          I wish I didn't have to get shit done though. It seems every time I come home Izzy goes up on the lift, lol.

Anyways parts actually came in on time and I got everything fixed and buttoned up. Still haven't driven her, but just by looking at the old caliper and new caliper everything should be fixed. I tried to get some pics of the rotor all scared and the brake pads (or lack of brake pads).

*Also really sorry for the shitty pics...

bimmerfreak1124

Hopefully I can get my headlights installed this weekend once I go back to school.
                          My Garage
                          Feedback

Comment

Finally got my smoked headlights in, took a while to get them wired up properly, but finally got it working. Still need to wire in the city lights, but that can wait for now. I'm gonna fill in my side reflectors and then use that to wire in the city lights. I also scored some e36 Vader seats (both front and rear) for $360, and on top of that my buddy gave me some minty e30 convertible seats. Don't know if I'm gonna go with the vaders, or e30 seats....

Also my dad picked this up the other week. Its a 1989 325ix 5 speed touring 100,00 km imported from Spain. It may be the best example of an e30 that I have personally ever seen. It was owned by a Spanish rally driver. The only thing I don't like about it is that it brought up some new problems with Izzy. First off I've never really like the braking feel in the pedal, but I replaced the caliper, pads, rotors, and soft and hard lines, but it never improved so I thought that was they way it was suppose to feel, but after driving the touring.... holy crap, there is a HUGE difference, I'm gonna try and replace the master cylinder and hopefully that fixes it. Also Izzy seems to be WAAAAAAAY down on power, she was never as quick as my dads 325is, but I figured it the the AWD drivetrain lost, but the touring (even though it's 3,100 lbs) puts Izzy to shame, the power curve is much linear and overall it feels more powerful. Granted Izzy has 230,000 miles while Nessy (the touring) has 60,000 miles, but I think theres something wrong in there. I'll do some more research on it later, if it turns out theres something wrong with my m20 I might (key word might) build my spare motor and forget about the 24v swap, but the main reason I'm doing the swap is for the aluminum block. Anyways I'm sure you guys don't care about that, at this point you just want to see pictures of Nessy.

I'm eventually gonna make a thread for the touring, so just hold your questions until then. I've been helping my uncle work on his Z3 all day so I'm completely worn out right now.
                            My Garage
                            Feedback

Comment

Nice one!
                              E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

That touring is magical...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                2011 335i xDrive Msport - sold
                                2002 M5
                                '88 325ix turbo build :D

Comment

Working...
                                X