Project Izzy: The AWD Money Pit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rzerob View Post
    I need one of these. Too bad Jute stopped making them.
    But still you can ask you local machining company, not sure was there those info in web how that was made, i mean those measurements etc, etc
    https://www.facebook.com/Cry_77_IX-110483784967661
    https://www.instagram.com/cry_77_ix/

Comment

Originally posted by Sade View Post
      But still you can ask you local machining company, not sure was there those info in web how that was made, i mean those measurements etc, etc
      If there was some sort of diagram/blueprint I would have already had one made.
      How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

lifts

the lift in your garage what brand are they

Comment

Atlas I think. I really don't know a whole lot about them. My dad bought it because "Its cheaper than the dealership and I'm getting old."
          My Garage
          2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
          1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
          1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
          Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Originally posted by rzerob View Post
            If there was some sort of diagram/blueprint I would have already had one made.
            Ok, I dont find that diagram/blueprint but if this help any
            http://home.earthlink.net/~hainesinu...Xchange26.html
            Just get those measurements that front axle and make is longer, like in that web site has, of course like Jute91 was also saying, add that grease nipple.

Of course you can wait if he some day in future are making those shaft´s again

Sorry this OT
            https://www.facebook.com/Cry_77_IX-110483784967661
            https://www.instagram.com/cry_77_ix/

Comment

So I actually made a lot of progress on the 325i this week. When I originally bought the 325i I was thinking light weight balanced back road runner, but it seems to be turning into my vision of the perfect daily. Thats not necessarily a bad thing though.

My Dad recently had surgery so he's been down for the past few weeks but my uncle was nice enough to help me. His friend is a Master BMW Technician and he's learned a lot of tricks a tips through him. (Fun fact: The guy I bought Izzy from and my uncles friend is the same guy) Anyways I replaced my clutch fan because I dropped it last time and it shattered, I also got the air bubble out of the system and now she runs nice and cool. I went a head and replaced the blue & brown temp sensor, also the throttle position sensor. The car ran a million times better after that. Still not perfect, but I found a couple of vacuum leaks that I need to fix so after that she should be good. The car does run rough when cold, but quickly settles in after the temp gauge moves just out of the blue mark. I'm not really sure why, but I'll look into it.

After that it was time for some real fun!!!

Rebuilt Calipers, Hawk Brake Pads, Meyle Rotors, ECS SS Brake Hoses, and a 25mm Master Cylinder.

Thats really it for this weekend. I didn't get to drive her because I discovered the passenger tie rod was some Chinese POS and was hitting the rim. It left a huge score mark on the inside of the bottle cap and didn't want to drive it like that. I'll hopefully be able to fix that next weekend and test out the new brakes. Once I get the car to daily status and down here in the 757 hopefully I'll be able to start some of my smaller side projects like getting the audio sorted out.
              My Garage
              Feedback

Comment

Lookin good!!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
                = Heidi 1988 325 -> 335i. 7200rpm built M30

Comment

Well no progress is getting made this weekend... I ordered my tie rods and something happened, I don't know if it was on my part, ECS', or UPS' but they parts flew into Richmond and were driven to Norfolk. The weird part about this is I put down my Home address in Warrenton where the car currently is. Of course I couldn't just pick them up down here and take them home, so they should be delivered at my parents house Monday. The good news about this is I can order more stuff like Vacuum hoses and possibly Injectors. I'm thinking about maybe a M30 AFM, Chip and 19 lbs injectors. I already have the AFM and chip, plus I was planning on doing Stock injectors so why not just get a little more power while I'm at it, right?

Not much on the ix front. I'm trying to put Izzy on the back burner so I have more funds for Stitch. I'd like get the Suspension, Audio, and Z3 rack done I'll reassess which car gets my paycheck.
                  My Garage
                  Feedback

Comment

So something weird happened this weekend, I actually made progress on my car.

First off was all brand new vacuum lines. Every hose and plastic piece is brand new, with brand new hose clamps. No more vacuum leaks here! I wanted to also pull in the intake manifold and do injectors, but I was pressed for time.

Next up was tie rods. I've helped my dad and my uncle work on their cars over the years, but I've never seen them do tie rods before, so my uncle came over again to help me do these.

Also I've rarely have ever driven an auto let alone work on one so my uncle stuck around to help out with that too.

*This might be the first pic of all 3 of my cars together in one pic. It sucks its such bad quality, but you can see Izzy and the Z3 in the back ground.

My dog even decided he would come help out for a bit.

I also discovered a fuel leak from where the fuel lines go into the fuel rail. A quick trip to autozone fixed that and she was good to go! Car runs great, takes a while to crank when cold but nothing to bad, it usually starts on the first try. The brakes how ever are AMAZING! The one thing I've never liked about the e30 was the brakes, they did a decent job stopping the car, but they felt like ass in my opinion. I never really heard anyone else complain about them so I just figured it was me coming from the Z3 to an e30, well the 25mm master cylinder definitely fixed that. I know the master cylinder doesn't improve braking distance, but its definitely given me the confidence in the car that was never there before. I actually enjoy driving the car now and can't wait to get the Z3 rack in and get a brand new suspension under there with some bigger sway bars. I'm also toying with the idea of trying to find a reasonably priced 4.27 diff an throwing it in back there. The car feels sluggish and I don't want to 5 speed swap the car before the swap and the only power upgrades I plan on doing are the M30 injectors, AFM, and a chip which I've heard will liven it up, but its not going to give me what I want.

She's now back down in the 757 with me and the Z3 is back at my parents place hopefully resting for a busy year. She's going to need a lot of work here with in the next 10,000 miles or so.
                    My Garage
                    Feedback

Comment

So I finished classes, and I've had some time to think about my next step. I'm going to do a little refresh on the ix. I need to send off my front half shafts to get rebuilt and while I have the subframe dropped I'm going to do power steering, motor mounts. I've also gotten started on collecting parts for my newest quest for power. I wanted to do an engine swap, but its just going to be waaay to expensive. Also the M30 turbo isn't going to work because of clearance issues. I decided to keep it simple and do a 2.8 stroker on the ix. Totheredline helped me out by giving me a great deal on some of the parts I need for the stroker. I just need a 2.8 crank and 272 cam (and maybe HD rockers) to finish off the performance stuff. This gives me a fresh plug n play motor with added power.

Stitch will also receive a motor after Izzy is sorted out, I'm leaning towards my 28,000 miles M52tu. With a tune and a M54 intake manifold it should be a super fun motor. I also have the matching low milage Getrag 250 and 3.15 diff from the Z3 to go in too.
                      My Garage
                      Feedback

Comment

Good idea, I like the sound of a 328iX :)

Comment

A 345ix would have been a bit cooler, but I think a 2.8 will be fun enough!
                          My Garage
                          Feedback

Comment

What cam are you going to run?

= Heidi 1988 325 -> 335i. 7200rpm built M30

Comment

Originally posted by totheredline View Post
                              What cam are you going to run?

Probably a Bimmerheads Billet 272
                              My Garage
                              Feedback

Comment

Friday the 13th anyone?
                                My Garage
                                Feedback

Comment

Working...
                                X