Northern's Sterlingsilber M52 Turbo 325is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Northern View Post
    ^ that definitely makes sense to me. I feel lucky to have suck slack emissions laws. All they do is look to see if the cat looks like it's there, and that's only if the car is 1991 or newer.
    ya, WA is super lax as well. its nice that we don't even have to do emissions after 25 years....so my s50 swap was really easy to get registered
    -Brad, AlphaTeam Motorwerks, LLC
    91' 318iS - S54/6MT Swapped
    08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily
    04' Chevy Duramax CCLB - Work Truck/Hauler

Originally posted by IronJoe
    Alpha Team: running through e30s, gringo icebergs, and 19 yr olds.

Originally posted by 2mAn
    Brads a standup guy even though he likes buttsex

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post
      Hmmm that's very interesting. So you could potentially substitute the vss signal from the diff for the vss signal that the e36 uses from the wheel sensor? or am I again over simplifying? (are they the same signal type etc?)
      I'm really not sure what types of signals ABS vs diff use. I don't know how you'd tap into the ABS to try to replicate what the E36 does, or if you'd need to condition that signal somehow. It's pretty easy to change the value in romraider to make up for the difference though, and I feel like they'll find the location of that value on the 328 ECU soon.

I just asked in the VSS thread on romraider, maybe someone already knows.
      Originally posted by priapism
      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
      Originally posted by shameson
      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

I'm really not sure what types of signals ABS vs diff use. I don't know how you'd tap into the ABS to try to replicate what the E36 does, or if you'd need to condition that signal somehow. It's pretty easy to change the value in romraider to make up for the difference though, and I feel like they'll find the location of that value on the 328 ECU soon.

Yea, I am pretty much 100% sure its not that simple haha

subbed for progress and information
        '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
        Shadetree30

Comment

Apparently they know where the location for the VSS modifier is in MS41.1, but they just haven't updated the definitions file yet.

I managed to convert a 41.1 ECU into an M3 41.2 ECU tonight by flashing an M3 256kb file, and then an M3 24kb partial file that I cut and pasted 328i maps into, along with emissions deletes. I then re-read the full 256kb file and the 24kb "tune" file to compare them against what I flashed.

The 256kb file is quite different, but for the most part it just seems like it's the stuff from the modified 24kb file, except the table for Vanos activation under heavy load is all zeroed (?). The 24kb partial section shows up right, so hopefully this isn't actually an issue.

We will find out tomorrow I guess.

Comment

Oh, also apparently I'm buying another M52/ZF/driveshaft tomorrow. $350 for the whole shebang is too tempting to pass.

Comment

Forgot to mention, I pulled that M52/ZF/driveshaft with a semi-mangled harness and ECU from an e36 on Wednesday with the help of my buddy Scott. I went back thurs to throw everything in the mazda and then stripped it down to the long block on friday, so I have some more spare bits now if anything goes wrong...

And speaking of wrong, here's the most recent list of codes the car threw today during the first AutoX since the swap:

65 Cam Sensor - error not present, sporadic
              12 TPS error present static error
              83 CPS sporadic/not present
              204 unknown error - "Idle speed not plausible" (had to look it up)
              212 VANOS Jammed not present, sporadic

That's a nice array of weird codes, thanks.

I cleared them and we'll see if any come back. TPS was the only code actually present, the rest were just stored.

I also learned what lifter tick sounds like, apparently not so great, but at least it went away after ~10 mins of idling. Haven't really bothered to investigate it, but from what I hear, it's just a 24v thing.

Maybe videos incoming. I can't use the gopro app anymore, so I was shooting blind. hopefully my aim was decent.

Comment

Yeah the ticking is a 24v thing. Adding 1qt of oil above full seems to help some.

Comment

Originally posted by Gnarles View Post
                  Yeah the ticking is a 24v thing. Adding 1qt of oil above full seems to help some.
                  I was a little low on the first run(at the lower line). For some reason I never thought to check the oil level after the initial fill. With the smaller oil capacity of the AA oilpan, I probably should've made sure I was topped off or above.

It still made no difference for the lifter tick. Switching from a 10w40/20w50 blend of Castrol GTX to Liquimoly 5w40 next weekend. I wanted to run something cheap(AKA $10 jugs of M20 leftovers) through for ~500km to flush out any crud in the system.

I also really need to mount my dipstick, the tube comes out easier than the stick itself.

I didn't mention that part throttle was really messed up after each run. If I held the pedal at a certain spot, RPM would fluctuate a lot, and idle would stumble a bit. Maybe I'll go find an abandoned road to go flog the car a bit and see if I can replicate any of these codes again.

Edit: I still haven't been able to burn off the tank of 87 that was left over from last October, so maybe I really need to go for a drive and some 91.

Comment

Apparently footage was usable, and not too bad for slapping the suction cup to the roof. I had everything set up for the thru-the-sunroof view that I've used in previous autox videos, but apparently that's no longer allowed.

Comment

I also put my M3 shell up for sale, but I'm not going to bother posting it on r3v or anything because I'd rather a local sale.

It was imported from texas in the late 2000's and the PO installed a GC race kit on it, then rolled it coming off one of the bridges. He sold the S14/trans/ecu to pay to have the roof pulled out, and now the doors/windscreen fit like normal (but the roof is still very wrinkly forward of the B pillars.) Front end body parts are pretty rough, but salvagable. Very little rust on the chassis itself except surface rust in a few spots (dent puller spots, around the windscreen) I bought new tails, hood, gas door, mirrors, and a few other bits to replace stuff that was damaged.

It's outdoors on a concrete slab now with all the seams taped up so water can't get in.
                      I just don't have anywhere to put it, and I won't be able to touch it until other smaller projects are done and a garage is built, so we're talking 5+ years. In that time, I may not even be able to afford parts for it, and I have no idea of what to do for an engine.

I've also got 3 other cars, a decent sized home reno on the go, and a good amount of consumer debt. I would probably never get around to working on this car.

If I sold it (currently asking 6k, or 4k without GC kit or suspension) then I'd be able to pay off a lot of debt, stop looking like a hoarder with 2 cars in my back yard, and be able to build a deck/patio space.

One guy who seems interested just wrecked his e30 race car at the local track (He was punted into the woods and took a tree to the A pillar at ~140kph.) It seems like he'd take his engine (260whp M42 based race engine), driveline, and suspension from that car and install in this.

If that happens, I'm going to need to buy some new wheels for this car...

Comment

Comment

You basically have to put a 'conditioned' square wave into the ECU that has to be from *a cluster, E36/E30. Feeding directly from diff or ABS sensor will have erratic results.
                          OBD1 E36/and E30: Diff 9 tooth to cluster to ECU
                          OBD2 E36: 48 tooth ABS sensor to ABS computer to ECU.

Both have been converted to a square wave by their respective intermediaries.

:)

Check Us out on Facebook
                          Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
                          Full Product Line Tuning
                          OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

For the past few days I only seem to get TPS errors, and have really weird off-idle throttle control/response. It either wants to coast, or have enough throttle to accelerate. Going to swap out the TPS and see what happens.

Running M50 TB/Mani if that could somehow make a difference...

Comment

Some quick and dirty accel/decel with the gopro/internal mic. Everything for the external mic setup other than the skeleton case is here, hopefully it shows up before the car gets parked.

Comment

Nice looking good

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X