Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Owner: '89 Zino M3

Hey all!

So the deal worked out and I am the new owner of an '89 Zino M3! :D A bit of a long read:

A little about me... My name is Gabe, 29, and live in Albuquerque, NM. I have always been a car guy and have owned over 30 so far. Wrenching on them, fixing them, then getting something else. I had to sell my pride and joy, a '92 Stealth TT that I owned since I was 16. Though many incidents, engine rebuilds, and blood sweat and tears it was almost complete. An 11 second car on pump gas that turned many heads. Sadly I had to part her out when I made the "mature" decision to buy and remodel my home. That was 6 years ago and I have missed having a car I can enjoy working on. About 6 months ago I picked up a '91 318is and got into the E30 game. It was wrecked badly and is quite a pile but we clipped the front end from a donor car, got a rebuilt head (surprise) and I have been dailying it for a few weeks. It's ok but it was always temporary. Anyway, on to how I found the M3...

My girlfriend moved in with her brother across town and the first time I left their house I drove down the street to exit and noticed a red E30 parked in the driveway. I had to double take once I saw the flared fenders. It looked like it had been sitting for some time, had bondo on the doors and looked unattended to. Interest sparked. I mentioned it to my girlfriend and asked if she could inquire about it if she happened to see them home at some point. A week went by and she stopped by a few times but nobody home. Sunday before last she caught them home and asked about it. The gentleman said he hadn't thought much about selling it but would be willing to. I sped over there within the hour and chatted with him a good bit and checked it out.

He was the 2nd owner and had owned the car since he was a teenager and enjoyed it for many years in Cali before he moved to NM. He mentioned the car was in a front end collision where the front bumper got cracked and radiator support compromised. The front fenders and hood are still original but BMW repaired the other damage and it got a new paint job at the same time. Some time later it had an "auto-start" incident that put the car through garage door damaging the hood and otherwise new paint job. Right around 100k the engine spun a bearing so he bought the Turner 2.5L kit and had a shop do all the work. A nightmare ensued with improper build and the engine had issues a couple hundred miles later. A big hit to the wallet, it sat for a bit before he redid the engine and had a shop here in NM put it together. He was big into car audio and, as he admits, had done some mods to the car he wish he would not have now that he is older. There were already lots of audio mods and he decided to shave the door handles since the car needed paint again. Life changed, house bought, wife, kids, etc. and the car was never finished and sat for a while in the driveway with a couple thousand miles on the rebuilt engine. The chassis mileage sits somewhere around 105k now.

The car's battery was drained and it cranked but wouldn't start. It had been broken into in Santa Fe and the thieves cut out the TVs that were in the headrests, stole the head unit and some other audio pieces. They tried to get into the trunk to get the subs but failed, damaging the trunk in the process. I checked out the front end repairs and the rest of the car. It has a supersprint exhaust on it and the undercarriage seemed to be free of any rust as I'd suspect from a west/southwest car. With a clean title and what looked like some promise I decided to look into purchasing it. Last Saturday he got it charged up and my father and I proceeded to check it out. The car idled rough for a bit but smoothed out after a while. We took it for a short test drive and it ran very well, sounded great and had good pep. It idled smoothly after, perhaps after it had some gas run through it. Fast forward to today and it now sits in my garage! :D

The car has some obvious issues that I hope to rectify over time. It seems mechanically sound but only time will truly tell. The car will never be pristine or perfect but I intend to bring it up to acceptable status and enjoy the car while it serves partial DD status. A list of the obvious that need fixing:

-Shaved Door Handles
    -Roof Repair
    -Trunk Repair
    -Paint
    -Audio redone and subs/amps taken out
    -Odometer is broken
    -Interior leather
    -Cracked Dash
    -Suspension bits seem slightly worn
    -Transmission seems a little clunky but perhaps that is normal? No grinds, just seems more deliberate than what I was expecting
    -I'm sure there will be a lot more as I drive it more and dive into it more thoroughly.

In any case, it is a project but I'm happy to be into a car that I like and one that may actually appreciate instead of depreciate.Enough for the long winded post, here are some crappy cell phone pics for the moment:

Gabe
    Last edited by G FORCE; 01-04-2015, 06:55 PM.
    Gabe
    '91 318is

Looks Nice with some love she can be brought back to life. Glad to see this car is being saved.
    Bmw CCA # 490080

1995 525iA RIP
    1987 325e Cirrusblau-Metallic/Pacific Blue (Daily)

DSC_1725 by Matthew Johnson, on Flickr

Comment

You did good Gabe.
      Now, make us proud.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Nice find! By the time i'm 30, E30 M3's will be VERY hard to find. Glad to see you'll give it the proper treatment.

Comment

Nice find man. It will turn out nice M3
          1990 e30 325is S50 swap (NASA GTS2 race car)
          1990 e30 325is
          1988 e30 M3 S50 euro swap

Comment

Nice. How do you open the door?
            How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

This should be good. Can't wait to see what you do with it. It really doesn't look that bad considering its been sitting.

Originally posted by rzerob View Post
              Nice. How do you open the door?
              My question too!
              '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
              '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

Thanks guys! I'm hopeful that it will give me some good years mechanically while I work on the cosmetic issues. Oh and by the way, don't push years on me, I'm NOT 30 yet haha!

Funny you ask about the doors. They have actuators that are triggered from the alpine remote. 1 pops the driver door, 2 pops the passenger. Not 10 minutes after I swing by my parents house we are under the hood checking things out and I have the keys in the ignition still. Close the door and promptly lock myself out within 30 minutes of owning the car. The car, like many others, is easy to break into with a pry plastic and a coat hanger. I'm going to have to remember to keep the spare key with me detached from the other keys for a while until I accustom myself to the no door handles!
                Gabe
                '91 318is

Comment

I would ask the PO if he put a safety trigger somewhere outside of the car, in case you do lock yourself out. I knew a guy that had one under his back bumper.
                  Holy shit did you even read this post before you posted?

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/announcement.php?f=156

This thread sure sucked last night. It just plain sucked. I've seen threads suck before but this is the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked.

Comment

But how will you pop the doors open if the remote is on the keyring inside the car?
                    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Exactly! The key fob was on the key ring while the key was in the ignition. SOL! He did not mention anything about a safety switch unfortunately. Perhaps I can add one relatively easily.
                      Gabe
                      '91 318is

Comment

Nice save OP! Looks like a great starting point!

...and fuck those doors! Lol! What a terrible system.

I'll have to swing by and bless you and the car next time I'm in New Mexico. Lovely state.
                        1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Awesome find! Congrats.

Comment

Originally posted by Peelsbimmer View Post
                            I would ask the PO if he put a safety trigger somewhere outside of the car, in case you do lock yourself out. I knew a guy that had one under his back bumper.
                            If I was you OP, I would put a safety trigger under the hood. That way it is not easy to access(for criminals). And all you would need to open the hood is a flat head screw driver if you locked your self out again. But you are going to have to break a tail light if your battery dies.
                            How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Thanks, slammin! If you are ever this way lemme know!

rob, that's a good idea. I think I really need to put one in somewhere.

I charged the battery last night on trickled from 75% to 100% last night. This morning the battery was still putting out 12.4V but was at 82% so I may have a dieing battery despite filling it up with water. Also, the power steering reservoir was very low so I'm not sure if I have a leak somewhere. The car started right up and ran well though I did notice a pretty bad shake around 65mph. I'm taking it into the tire shop Friday to see if a rebalance will cure it but it may have flat spots from sitting >.<

Also, I noticed the car smells like exhaust fumes. May have a leak somewhere underneath. All relatively minor issues so far!
                              Gabe
                              '91 318is

Comment

Working...
                              X