My slow 318i build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My slow 318i build

What's up r3v. I recently picked up this m10 powered 318i for $500 off a guy on CL. It comes with a handful of little problems, but it runs. The main problem is the fuel delivery system which shouldn't be too hard to fix. I wanted an e30 for a while now, so I'm pretty excited. I'm a poor college student and this might take a while to get up to snuff, so I guess this can be classified as a budget build.
    image by yo.norm, on Flickr

My dad's A4 and my E30
    Last edited by YoNorm; 11-02-2014, 01:43 PM.

The PO let the car sit for 3 years under a tree, so there was a lot of old sap...

So I hit it with some rubbing alcohol and elbow grease.

Looked like this after a few hours. She needs a wax!

Comment

I got bored and decided to do a bumper tuck.

Before:

I also ended up doing a fog light delete and bumper, lip, and shroud respray

Comparison shot

Bacon shroud 8) I haven't got to the rear bumper yet. I need more paint first.

Comment

My uncle knows a guy who does wheel restorations and decided to bring these wheels back to life. The guy's a close friend so he does them for free. The only thing is that I'm still on 4x4 suspension. Haha

Fixed them up pretty nicely. They're Riken Mesh btw

Excuse the mismatched lugnuts. I ordered a used OEM set from a guy off ebay for $12.

Now I need to replace the battery and the fuel pumps. Just waiting on my next paycheck!
        Last edited by YoNorm; 11-04-2014, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Wheels came out amazing! Also, was surprised with the rubbing alcohol. Didn't think that would do much, but really brought that sap out.

Comment

Hey! Nice 318i! I also have a 318i e30. Its slow i know! Thats why i'm doing a turbo! Nice job! Sub'd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by izzy- View Post
              Wheels came out amazing! Also, was surprised with the rubbing alcohol. Didn't think that would do much, but really brought that sap out.
              Thanks! I'm gonna switch to 15's eventually though. And rubbing alcohol is IMO the best way to remove sap on cars. There are "sap specific" removers out there, but they're basically acetone and I don't think that's good for the clearcoat.

Comment

Originally posted by Graebmw95 View Post
                Hey! Nice 318i! I also have a 318i e30. Its slow i know! Thats why i'm doing a turbo! Nice job! Sub'd

A fellow 318i owner! :up: And yeah, it's pretty slow. I was thinking turbo too, but not until waaaaay later.

Comment

I love the M10 318. Does yours have manual windows?
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:
                  -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                    I love the M10 318. Does yours have manual windows?
                    Nope, it has power windows. I think I might pick up a set of window cranks one day to see if I like it.

Comment

Keep it power! Its nice! My car, for whatever reason, the precious owner put all of the options in it. It has cruise control, tweeters, power windows, power mirrors, crank sunroof lol, 13 button obc, an upgraded AC, and they did a plastic bumper conversion! What are your immediate plans for the car?

Also m10s are WAY under rated. They're awesome little rev machines!

Comment

It's been a while since I've posted anything on this (probably because there was no progress). But I've looked in the engine bay to check it out (sorry about the iPhone 4 pics, it's all I got)

...and found this:

Turns out the alternator and exciter wires (underneath the bolt shroud) are frayed. I don't know what the little red one is.

How can I go about replacing these wires? Do I have to take out the whole engine wire harness? Is there a possibility of having to replace the whole harness as well? This is the first time I've had to deal with anything electric.
                        Last edited by YoNorm; 08-09-2016, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X