Meet Erica - Canadian build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meet Erica - Canadian build

Some will give it a glance. Some will look away. There are those who won’t notice, and those that will know right away. To some, it’s just meant to take them from A to B. Just a regular mean of transportation; We’ve all been there. Then, at one point or another, our path crosses that of some old Bavarian box. From then on, the game changes. It’s about the joy, the engagement, the feedback you get. Call it what you want, but in the end, we all get that same grin on our face when we hit that apex and power out of that curve.

Meet Erica.

She was purchased on June 6th, 2011. Previous owner had it for about 10 years or so, and it was supposedly not being driven in the winter. Odometer was working and showed 139k km, or 86,400 miles. She’s a 1988 325is, black on black, sporting Hartge front valance and side skirts, as well as a Racing Dynamics rear apron.

Sorry for the big pictures, it's been a long time since I used photobucket and I'm too lazy to relink every single picture

When I bought it, it looked like this:

Looking good from afar, but far from good. So I drove it for about two years, and our Canadian winters didn’t help at all. In May of 2013, a friend offered me his garage for what was supposed to be a 6 to 8 weeks fix. To give you an idea, I’m expecting the car to be running in 2 or 3 days, and then I still have the bodywork and paint to do.

Here I will take you on my 18+ months journey, and I will include a few things that happened along the way, which were not directly related to my E30. Disclaimer: I have never done any mechanical work on anything except for oil change and tire rotation. I changed my bike’s handlebars, air filter and exhaust, but nothing else. Never used a die grinder, welder, etc.

So the floors were crap. PO had spot welded in some 3/16’s steel on each side, with like 5 spot welds for each. He hacked the job thinking water wouldn’t come in afterwards. Well, silly guy, water, like everything else on this earth, is affected by gravity. It’s coming in from a leak of some sort, which has to be higher. To prove my point, both front drains for the sunroof were shut, and the elephant trunk was blocked by various things.

I proceeded by purchasing a die grinder and cutting out everything that was rusted. To be honest, I didn’t expect there would be that much.

At this point, I was thinking about scrapping the car. After a few days of (not) thinking it through, I did what everyone with half a brain would do... Found myself a welder and got at it.

Terrible idea. I sucked. So I had a few bits tacked, and hired a “professional” welder to finish everything. Let’s just say that with a few weekends of practice and a spool or two, I’m sure I could have done a better job. Anyway. The process I went through for every patch was as follows:

Cut rust, cut new metal from 8x4, 18ga sheet, sandblast floor and prime with zinc primer, grind sheet metal down for proper adhesion, zinc primer. At that point, I welded, cleaned up and sandblasted again. Primer and black coat went on afterwards.

Process and results before the so-called pro came in:

Proceeded to remove the subframe. The driver’s side bushing wasn’t in too bad of a shape, but the passenger side was moving around but about 3/4’s of an inch. Both mounts were also oxidized/stuck to the frame, so I used a 3-jaw puller to rip the rubber from the mounts. Too stupid to thread a bolt through, I broke the passenger mount in the frame:

Everything looked bad. Original shocks and springs were dead as well. You’ll notice from most pictures that there was a lot, and I mean a lot of oil. PS pump was leaking quite a bit, and I’m sure the PO just kept topping the reservoir off. To prove my point, when I removed the plastic tray from below the engine, there was about half an inch of oil residue. The bitch clip was a pain. Yes, I did try to find the radiator hose pick, but those don’t seem to exist around here. I went around with a few pictures on my phone, and no shop had ever seen that...

At this point, life happened, and there was barely no motivation from August to December 2013. So in late December, I had my stuff somewhat back in order and wanted to work on the car. The garage has some isolation, but it’s not heated, so when it’s -35F outside, it’s not much fun.

When temperature was back up, I started working again, and kept at it until I was finally done tearing everything out and making the parts list. What was left on the car was the dash, steering column, engine, transmission, booster/abs unit, and that’s pretty much it.

So over the course of a year, I proceeded to disassemble the car and made a list of parts that I would be ordering. Here it is; To my vendor’s pleasure, it was 139 lines. Part #’s were removed for the sake of the picture; I’m not that cruel.

Lots of trim, clips and other misc stuff. The bigger improvements are: Condor bushings (subframe 12mm risers, trailing arms, diff, offset control arms, engine, transmission, and aluminum PS delete), complete cooling refresh kit with all hoses, gates timing belt, water pump, z4 shifter, dssr, koni yellow’s, H&R Race springs, 22mm/19mm sway bars from UUC. Extras were cherry tails, euro smileys, rear deck and rear headrests.

Met my cousin’s husband during a weekend in June. He’s a profesionnal racecar driver, but it turns out that he’s a BMW enthusiast as well. Here’s one of his toys, a Eurospec E36 M3:

Had to take a break from all the E30 stuff, so I made a one-day solo roadtrip to Americade in Lake George, New York. Lots of bikes, met some nice folks and not a single km on the highway. I’ve since fallen in love with Vermont; The road I took to get me down to Lake George was just awesome.

I found a single parking spot on the main street

On to the important stuff. I had every package sent to the border.

Here’s half of the stash. Christmas in September!

Can anyone guess from who I ordered? So much care into not making me look like a suspicious pedophile in front of the border agents.

The one and only, Blunt.

------

Alternator bracket needed to be replaced:

Some citric acid to clean the expansion tank:

Valve cover off; quite surprised:

I also rotated the filter housing and replaced the gasket while cleaning everything up. Much easier to access the filter for oil changes. AC was removed for now. I might reinstall it over the winter.

Back on after some VHT wrinkle paint and some BBQ time. Notice the grime on the block. It looked that way all around:

Cleaned up:

Obligatory bay shot

Great products

Water pump and timing belt went on (it didn't stay that way, I obviously tightened it afterwards):

Brake lines needed to be replaced... First time at it, turned out pretty good.

So did the diff oil:

Another good news:

Changed the adjusters on the newly acquired headlights:

As well as odo gears from garagistics. The odometer was still working, but I was ordering a few things from them, so got the kit anyway. Peace of mind.

Rear deck before I used some duplicolor on it to make it black (couldn’t find a picture of the finished product):

At this point, I was poor (and still am). My shoes had almost given up, so I fixed them while keeping my budget in mind:

I was able to source some 900x male connectors. Instead of hacking my wiring to fit the OE smiley wiring onto the existing stuff, I’ll hack the extensions instead so that the headlights are plug and play, but US ellipsoids can still be used in the future.

Engine was done, time to put the rest back on:

Notice the rotated filter; Much more room:

Black timing belt cover

Seat and steering back in, mainly for motivational purposes.

One more box showed up with brand new fuel lines, amongst other things

Rear headrests:

Dropped the struts to my mechanic:

Subframe awaiting diff. Reinforcements were tig welded by a friend. It came a long way:

redneck subframe lifting device. Diff was not painted because I wanted to keep the S that's painted on the case.

Bought this hoodie:

The swaybars were adjusted, it’s back on its feet with the old OE springs in the rear for now; Getting the chassis reinforced before installing the higher-rate H&R.

This is where I am right now. Started pouring coolant in the tank, and there’s a slight leak near the thermostat housing. Hoses weren’t loose, so either the housing (which I didn’t replace because it was fine, or so I thought) that cracked on me, or most likely me that didn’t install the thermostat correctly, preventing the cover from seating properly. If it wasn’t for that leak, the car would be driveable.

I try and find pictures of my cherry tails (and the process). They came out extremely great and I’m really liking them.

I will try and update as I go along, but I only have about 4, 5 weeks at most to do the bodywork and get it painted. Not always easy to keep up with pictures with when you don't have a lot of time. Luckily, my friend that is letting me use his garage is friends with a bodyshop owner, and that guy is letting us use his shop on the weekends to shoot the car. My friend also has many years of experience in bodywork and painting, and owner will also be helping.

Plans for the next 12 months are E46 330i ZF rack, getting the seats reupholstered, new windshield and possibly new wheels to replace the current Ronal set. Ronal LS or some style 5's are what I have in mind.

This little guy will be the last thing to be installed, in due time.

I would like to end this initial post by thanking the following people from this community for posting about their cars, progress and builds. Motivation comes in many forms, and they were all really helpful in their own ways. Simon S and his Zen build, Brian (xworks) and his minor rust repair, Neil1138 with his Hotness and creamy bokeh kept me focused on making my car as photogenic has his, along with inspiration for my own shooting. Not to forget F34r’s polly and Jgood’s Marrakesh sedan. Also, Lambo’s Stella has always granted instant motivation, so that was my quick fix. Aaron Hill has also saved my ass on my broken vibration damper, as well as a few tips along the way. Just the time these guys took to put their threads up for everyone to read... Really inspiring, thank you.

Last but not least, Steve from Blunttech. He’s got himself a lifetime customer. Very knowledgable and always there to help. Not to mention the great prices and the fast shipping to beaver-land. I’m not trying to talk down any other vendors/sponsors, but I would seriously recommend you do business with Steve. I know I will, again and again.

I will also dedicate this to Erica, stolen from a well-known Canadian... Because racecar ;D

We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same.
    We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim.
    Let the truth of love be lighted.
    Let the love of truth shine clear.
    Sensibility, armed with sense and liberty.
    With the heart and mind united in a single, perfect, car.
    Last edited by Eddie Lives On; 01-30-2016, 11:40 AM.

Wery nice ! A lot of good maintanence, this will turn out good. Keep at it !

Comment

From a fellow Canadian... well done sir!

It takes a lot of determination to save a rusted out e30!

BTW you are going to love the e46 ZHP rack.

My 1989 e30 s52 Touring... this is Betty

My 1989 325i vert (sold)...this is Nina

My 1991 M5 (sold)... this is Veronica

Photo comparison: OEM vs aftermarket windscreen for a convertible

Comment

Nice work!!
        E30 325ix M50 turbo 7 spd DCT 4wd 840awhp @ 31 psi.
        E30 M50 6 spd 764whp @ 24psi.
        E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Looking good!
          Originally posted by priapism
          My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
          Originally posted by shameson
          Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Today I went and removed the radiator to allow for easier access to the thermostat. It was installed properly, but then I saw this:

So that's the cause of my leak. You can see that it had already been repaired before by the PO. Ordered a new one just now, so I should be driving around in about a week's time.

Went to the yard and found this for $5. I already have a non-anatomic wooden knob from an E21 that I began to sand, but it's in some box somewhere since I moved places.

Here are the cherry tails. They were sanded with 800 and 1000, VHT nightshade red was used for 3 coats. I then proceeded to sand again at 1500 and 2000. 3 coats of Spraymax 2k clear. The third coat will be wetsanded and buffed in spring. The pictures really do not do justice to the depth of the red.

Rear deck using duplicolor vinyl & fabric. I was thinking about doing the carpet as well, but the texture is really rough, so I'll probably change my plans on that.

---

The guy reinforcing my frame can't take my car in for another week, so this leaves me time to do the bodywork. Good timing, too, considering I need to change my housing.

Off to make my pigtails now...

Comment

Very nice work

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
              sigpic
              323i MTEC1
              Z3 coupe
              E60 M5

Comment

Where did you get that hoodie?? Awesome haha

Also this thing is gonna be factory fresh when you're done with it.
                Looks amazing. Keep it up!

Comment

Thats awesome. Best of luck! It looks to be pulling together nicely. Also I must second the hoodie question as my 325e has more rust in the trunk then god. I'll be working on her every weekend till I die. Lol
                  Cheers!

~Frank

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pandaboo911 View Post
                    Where did you get that hoodie??
                    Teespring campaign a friend was running; I had made the design for him to stick on there.

If I had to do it again, considering all the money I put in this build, I would have sold my car and bought one from California/Arizona/Nevada/Texas. Basically, anywhere that has no winter.

Comment

Nice work! I know how a long build feels like...But at the end, It's so worth it! It really become YOUR OWN car.

What is the ratio of the e46 ZHP rack compare to regular e36 (3.2LTL if I remember right) ?
                      E30 now S52
                      2008 Suburban LTZ (Family and TT hauler)
                      325xiT (Sold)

sigpic

Comment

So I'm having a bit of an issue here...

Soldered the OEM wires for the smileys with the 9005/9006 male pigtail I sourced locally. They're from an HID kit, so I cut off the female ends and I'm left with this:

The smileys don't work, so here's how I proceeded: Two new fuses, two new H1 bulbs. Nothing. Borrow a multimeter from a friend; There is connectivity. I get 8.5 volts directly at the car's harness, but only 2.2 at the end of my home-made adapter.

Any ideas?
                        Last edited by Eddie Lives On; 11-22-2014, 11:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X