Comment

i want a AKG shifter so bad...
      sigpic
      The "Because Race Car" M60 V8 Build Thread
      On Instagram Straight Flexin' #BecauseRaceCar

Comment

Originally posted by 318aye View Post
        Lol the corollas or the mkiv, r32, etc?
        We'll go with all but mainly the r32 one lol.

I like what you have going on with your center console and the blanks. Any plans to put some gauges in?

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Originally posted by Reichart12 View Post
          We'll go with all but mainly the r32 one lol.

I like what you have going on with your center console and the blanks. Any plans to put some gauges in?
          Haha that's not my dash. I currently have a blaupunkt in there. I've used an oem delete plate previously with good results. I specifically use a gaugeless wideband for the MS because I don't want interior gauges in this car. I can monitor via Bluetooth if need be.
          sigpic

Comment

Got everything buttoned up yesterday, and finally got around to taking the car out this afternoon. I think I underestimated the shifter install somewhat.

First, the products themselves. The machining on the AKG parts is definitely top notch. VERY tight fit on the DSSR and its pins. As in you almost need pliers to remove them if you foolishly try to assemble the rear end to the shifter before installing it. Great stuff, nice finish. 10/10. The Garagistic mounts are more standard fare, but then again you can't really get too fancy when machining polyurethane. There were a few blemishes on the outsides, and you could tell they were cut from standard OD stock, but they do the job just as well. No complaints here.

The shifter items went in first. I ended up taking out the shift lever, shifter carrier, and selector rod without removing the guibo, or dropping the exhaust (non stock, which obviously helped). It had been a while since my last bitch clip, and that took a few hours of wrestling before finally giving way with a small autozone pick. the key was popping it up a tiny bit using the driver's side of the clip, and then going through the middle with the pick to get to the latch side. Did eventually have to drop the trans mount to get enough room to wiggle the clip out.

Top end involved punching out the two rectangles shown (flat head that fits into the rectangle + hammer + not as much force as you might think). For the rear mount, I grabbed the stud with pliers and worked it back and forth until it broke loose. Doing this created a nice pilot hole. WARNING: I drilled a 3/8" hole here. This is too big for the provided hardware. You want to go a bit smaller. I cut the stock shifter seal up per the instructions on the website, and cut a small gap for the reverse light wiring. Lined up the mounting plate, bolted everything in, and away we went. The DSSR on the trans side did require some finagling to get into position (again, pin fitment is VERY tight).

Trans and motor mounts went in with no issues whatsoever.

Overall the shifter is great, even with a 100k mile selector knuckle. Very direct engagement. Shortest throw I've ever experienced, may take some getting used to. These 80A mounts are perfect for the street, less compliance than stock but no overly harsh vibration. You will hear the gearbox/pilot bearing/clutch more with this setup.

Pictures!

Last edited by 318aye; 08-15-2017, 06:18 AM.
            sigpic

Comment

great write up...thanx

nice exhaust work on that car..welds etc etc..

.....can we hear it?...can u elaborate on the set up?

so was the shifter "worth" it...

I always wanted one....
              I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

Originally posted by JRKOUPE View Post
                great write up...thanx

nice exhaust work on that car..welds etc etc..

.....can we hear it?...can u elaborate on the set up?

so was the shifter "worth" it...

I always wanted one....
                Thanks for the kind words! Eurowise here in Charlotte, NC did the exhaust work past the headers for me. It's detailed earlier in the thread, but it's dual 2" to single 2.5 (merge is probably too close to the headers, check out Digger's thread for more info there) with one flex section, and 2 single in single out Vibrant resonators, all stainless. Headers are the Topspeed eBay units, with severe modifications to the 4-5-6 bank. Very happy with the shop's work, I may have them quiet it down in the future. It's "rowdy" when you're just cruising, but you can't really open it up without pissing people off. :o:o:o. I'll make a video here soon, just realized I never made one for the ITB's either.

I'd say the shifter was worth it (I drooled for quite a while, drove it in friend's cars, etc), it's certainly more of a departure from the stock feel than say the UUC Evo 3 kit. Really nice, satisfying engagement sound and feel, but it will take time to get used to such a short throw. It will also highlight any need to replace the detent springs in your Getrag, as you have a good bit more leverage on the selector itself.
                sigpic

Comment

ok...fair enough

Comment

Amazing build, I love the documentation about the itb's. I'll definitely have to spring for a set when I build my motor. I've always heard the best things about AKG (both the shifter and their bushings).
                    My Garage
                    2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                    1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                    1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                    Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Originally posted by stonea View Post
                      Amazing build, I love the documentation about the itb's. I'll definitely have to spring for a set when I build my motor. I've always heard the best things about AKG (both the shifter and their bushings).
                      Thanks! I try to be useful. Both RHD and AKG make some killer stuff!
                      sigpic

Comment

Love the shifter and the itbs!
                        '93 300TE 24V Krautbomber
                        '84 528e 5 speed Saphirblau Metallic [R.I.P.]

I love all BMWs with round headlights!

Comment

Originally posted by KrautnotRice View Post
                          Love the shifter and the itbs!
                          Thanks!
                          sigpic

Comment

As requested, here's a few exhaust sound clips. Sorry for the windy microphone.

RHD ITB'sStock LongblockTopSpeed Ebay Header2" Collectors into single 2.5" Merge (All Stainless)1 Center Single 2.5" In/Out Vibrant Resonator1 Rear Single 2....

Spoke with Greg at Bavarian Restoration today. Nice guy, and quick to respond to my messages. I saw this recently, and loved it.

I'm going to do their satin black trim rings, and new overlays for the speedometer and tachometer. Speedo will become MPH only (deleting the inner km/h ring) and the tach will keep its 7K redline, but 7 will be near 1:00, similar to some of the old RUF Porsches.

Might do the needles in orange as well, we'll see.

sigpic

Comment

she sounds great on the vid..

lol..did u know the other e30 2 dr in the vid?....was it bronzit?...looked good as well.....

Comment

Originally posted by JRKOUPE View Post
                                she sounds great on the vid..

lol..did u know the other e30 2 dr in the vid?....was it bronzit?...looked good as well.....
                                Thanks, and yeah he lives down the street. Was just luck that I ran into him.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X