Clear All

It sounds really good.
    How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Originally posted by rzerob View Post
      It sounds really good.
      Thanks! May quiet it down in the future. We'll see.
      sigpic

Comment

Wow! Dude, that sounds awesome! Makes me want an M20 again in my life!

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |

Comment

Originally posted by craz azn View Post
          Wow! Dude, that sounds awesome! Makes me want an M20 again in my life!
          Thanks!

I know cluster removal has been rehashed a million times here, but I still seem to fumble my way through it every time. I ended up pulling the lower column shroud and somehow wiggled the upper one out of the way which allowed me access to remove the cluster trim, and then the cluster itself. Wheel was also pulled first. Maybe it's karma for my seemingly easy DSSR install. Remember a rag or towel to put over the column when pulling the cluster, and save yourself work when polishing the scratches out of the lens later.

I purchased a speedo overlay, tach overlay, and trim rings from Bavarian Restoration. Communication was good before and after the sale. Apparently there was an issue with the first set of overlays, and Greg emailed me to let me know there would be a delay to ensure I received quality pieces. Always good to hear. The overlays and rings ended up shipping separately, which was a bit of a pain. Honestly, I was underwhelmed with the overlays when they first arrived. If you get up close, it seems as though the print resolution on the vinyl top layer isn't high enough, some of the indices have small jagged lines (picture dragging a line in MS paint). However, this is getting pretty close and nitpicking. I definitely felt they were nice enough to install, and once they were in the cluster I couldn't really notice that issue. The trim rings were very nicely finished and fit great, no gripes there.

This was a handy document for me when disassembling the cluster:

I used Nitrile gloves when handling all the cluster parts, watch out for excess powder. I found the double butter knife method the most effective when removing the needles.

Put something down over the gauge first, and don't be stupid. They take more force than you'd think. My only regret for this project was that I marred the little screws that hold the overlays a bit. They're matte black, and almost too tiny to fix. Very hard to notice, but there. I removed the econometer (two screws underneath the original gauge face) and simple stuck the needle stop back through the new overlay. This was enough to hold it. The BavRest speedo overlay had the speedometer needle resting indicator included, so that was easily reset. The trim rings snapped in VERY securely on all four, enough so that I feel comfortable without glue. In order to install these, you need to pop the lens off. To brake the plastic weld around the outside, I used a razor blade, and then eventually a flat head with a small prying motion. Be gentle, and take your time. To reseal the lens, I used TINY drops of super glue (it wicks up under the lens, seriously use 2 drops per location). The lens was polished with Meguiars PlastX. Stick to microfiber for polishing and buffing. It lists terry cloth, but that kept turning out shitty.

I still have yet to put the cluster back in to see if I fucked anything up (needle alignment, etc) and evaluate the lighting on the BavRest overlays. I'll post after I get it back in. I'm happy with the look overall, and I'm glad I didn't do the needles. I was really after something that appeared stock at first glance, and wasn't too flashy. Lots of their clusters have painted plastic back panels, but I like the contrast between the darker black on the rings/gauges and the lighter back plate.

Pictures!

Last edited by 318aye; 08-15-2017, 06:25 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

New cluster looks kick ass

-
            Project
            Parts for Sale
            Feedback
            YouTube Channel

Comment

The cluster turned out great.
              How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Clean cluster. I never would have thought black rings would look that good.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Originally posted by Reichart12 View Post
                  Clean cluster. I never would have thought black rings would look that good.
                  Originally posted by iwantspeed View Post
                  New cluster looks kick ass
                  Originally posted by rzerob View Post
                  The cluster turned out great.
                  Thanks guys. Happy with it, glad I didn't go overboard. Here's the illumination/more finished product.
                  Last edited by 318aye; 08-15-2017, 06:26 AM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Just read this from page one after coming across it via Google whilst researching the ITBs. Awesome project.

Twitter/Instagram - Kedge85

Comment

E30 #2: 1990 Delphin: RHD ITB M20

Love that tach. Great build mate. Wheels are superb.
                      Last edited by ST1G; 02-24-2016, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kedge View Post
                        Just read this from page one after coming across it via Google whilst researching the ITBs. Awesome project.
                        Thanks! Rama makes a nice product. Supposedly the airboxes are coming in a week or two.

Originally posted by ST1G View Post
                        Love that tach. Great build mate. Wheels superb.
                        Much appreciated!
                        sigpic

Comment

Due in 3 weeks. Still needs a filter setup, catch can relocation, and dyno time.

Big thanks to Rama for his hard work!
                          Last edited by 318aye; 08-15-2017, 06:29 AM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Awesome man! Did Rama make these / is offering them for sale through RHD?
                            Looks like at least 3 different versions, I'm guessing S14, m20 e30 chassis, and what's the third? I *know* they're not making a m20 e28 chassis one, right? That would be too sweet...
                            '93 300TE 24V Krautbomber
                            '84 528e 5 speed Saphirblau Metallic [R.I.P.]

I love all BMWs with round headlights!

Comment

Those look amazing!

Comment

Originally posted by KrautnotRice View Post

Awesome man! Did Rama make these / is offering them for sale through RHD?
                                Looks like at least 3 different versions, I'm guessing S14, m20 e30 chassis, and what's the third? I *know* they're not making a m20 e28 chassis one, right? That would be too sweet...
                                Yup, Rama sent me the photo. I think these are some of his first production pieces/samples. The 4 cylinder stuff is already available through RHD, the 6 cylinder stuff is releasing very soon. I believe it's the M42 box, M50 box, and the M20 boxes in the back.

You should message him about fitment on the e28...not sure there.

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
                                Those look amazing!
                                I'm excited. We'll see how the quality is in person.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X