E30 #2: 1990 Delphin: RHD ITB M20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
    going with a vortech supercharger after the motor is stroked and headers added. whodwho tried a serpentine m20 setup a while back. that's my target.
    Keith's setup is pretty cool. Another great guy to learn from!

Won't be able to start fiddling for a few more days, but here are a few introductory pictures. Intake is still TBD.

:D:D:D
    Last edited by 318aye; 08-15-2017, 06:31 AM.
    sigpic

Comment

You gonna dyno at some point?
      We should ride each other's cars at the Vintage and compare...
      I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
      DB vert plastic bumpers
      OEM Keys
      MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
      91 ic Calypso 3.1
      86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
      TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
      e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

And... Please get that plenum mounted and shoot pics!!! There are no public photos of that setup online and Rama didn't have any either

HOWTOs:
        DB vert plastic bumpers
        OEM Keys
        MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
        91 ic Calypso 3.1
        86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

You gonna dyno at some point?
          We should ride each other's cars at the Vintage and compare...
          The car will get back on the same dyno that it was tuned on after the ITB's were installed for a retune, so we'll have semi-consistent comparison numbers. My only regret is that the dyno that I baselined the car on I wasn't able to tune on.

And... Please get that plenum mounted and shoot pics!!! There are no public photos of that setup online and Rama didn't have any either
          I know, I think this may be one of the first. Plenty of pictures and comments next week.
          sigpic

Comment

Would you mind if I sent you a couple quick dimensions to check when you get it mounted? I don't think it will clear on the 2002, but two rough rear dimension checks would make that conclusive. Awesome looking box!
            ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Originally posted by SkiFree View Post
              Would you mind if I sent you a couple quick dimensions to check when you get it mounted? I don't think it will clear on the 2002, but two rough rear dimension checks would make that conclusive. Awesome looking box!
              Happy to help. Describe the measurements you're after.
              sigpic

Comment

Finally got my hands on the box today, my initial thoughts:

Finish is nice, but don't expect exterior automotive quality. Again, I'm looking at this stuff from the pickiest possible perspective. The seam line is very visible from the driver's side, but I'm sure it's necessary to be able to manufacture them at his current cost. I don't think you could do any better for the price.

Machining on the spacers is just as nice as when I purchased the first set. These longer spacers also have an additional o-ring groove, but I didn't receive any o-rings. I'll follow up on that later. The back plate for the box is aluminum, and there's a touch of "slag" on the inside from where it appears to have been plasma cut.

The only fitment snags so far are the booster clearance and the C101 connector. Bear in mind that I've mocked this up somewhat roughly, and as his instructions call for, there's a good bit of tweaking involved with getting this fitted up correctly. I'm pretty sure I'm juuuust touching the booster as of now, but I'll update after I get everything jiggled correctly. I also had to bend my dipstick another 1/2" to the passenger side of the car, and scoot my catch can down on its bracket 1/2", and I'll need to change the filter out for a smaller one.

I'm thinking about using a KAMotors high beam inlet for the intake, and building a heat shield behind the headlight assembly that will mate to a filter. Still up in the air.

Here's the install link:http://racehead.com.au/wp-content/up...asem-notes.pdf

Trumpet trimming instructions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af3b...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by 318aye; 08-15-2017, 06:39 AM.
                sigpic

Comment

So much win with these pics :-)
                  Airbox is a lot larger than I expected, but it lets you keep those long trumpets .. more win

It's really tall! That hood clearance pic is amazing!

Love the notch in the back of the airbox for the strut bar :-)

You running a MAF or headed a diff route? I know you were running the trumpets with screens so maybe you had an alpha-n thing going already? Sorry need to read back a bit in your thread

Take some vids soon :-)

HOWTOs:
                  DB vert plastic bumpers
                  OEM Keys
                  MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                  91 ic Calypso 3.1
                  86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

I don't see them but you should have a set of these as well?

My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
                    4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

So much win with these pics :-)
                      Airbox is a lot larger than I expected, but it lets you keep those long trumpets .. more win

It's really tall! That hood clearance pic is amazing!

Love the notch in the back of the airbox for the strut bar :-)

You running a MAF or headed a diff route? I know you were running the trumpets with screens so maybe you had an alpha-n thing going already? Sorry need to read back a bit in your thread

Take some vids soon :-)
                      The trumpets are actually cut down, but the spacers are longer to make up for it. I think this was done to get the mounting plane where he needed it in relation to the booster, etc.

On the hood clearance, all I know right now is that it shuts :). I might start it up tonight after I button up a few more things and play find the noise.

I was really scratching my head about the indent towards the back, but you might be right! It isn't necessary for hood clearance and it's certainly the right shape. Although when I tried the garagistic bar it didn't clear even over the trumpets themselves.

I'm already on Keith (whodwho)'s plug and play MS box. The car has been alpha-n for some time now. I know a MAF has other advantages, but this will work well for my application.

Originally posted by whodwho View Post

Nope, for this setup you cut the trumpet down to 3", which still fits within the box. See the install pdf link above, it gives you a good idea of what's involved with the whole setup.

PS - Taking a page out of your book and polishing the aluminum back plate this go around :). You thinking about getting a box?
                      sigpic

Comment

Took some measurements this evening. Not a whole ton of room for the filter/intake setup. I really don't want to slap a cone filter on a call it done. I also would like to leave the stock airbox bracket alone, as it currently mounts my catch can and I hate cutting factory metal. I'd like to end up with something similar to the castro box, but ultimately a lot more shallow. Plan will be to fabricate from ABS (think designing the box to be made from sheet metal) using a laser table. Also bought a high beam intake duct from KAMotors. Will be interesting to log IAT's with and without the ricer duct. Also knocked out the trumpets this evening. Here's some of the stuff I'm considering.

Here's an old thread where Chris325ix documents his IAT improvements with a high beam intake: http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78269

Last edited by 318aye; 08-20-2017, 10:23 AM.
                        sigpic

Comment

what about the cone filter the same spot as Miller PSIK?
                          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by whodwho
                            Originally posted by 318aye
                            Nope, for this setup you cut the trumpet down to 3", which still fits within the box. See the install pdf link above, it gives you a good idea of what's involved with the whole setup.

PS - Taking a page out of your book and polishing the aluminum back plate this go around . You thinking about getting a box?
                            ahh, that makes sense

Man I spent waaay too much time on all that 8^)

Probably not, it's not boost friendly so looking to use this one

I
                            My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
                            4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

More details please Keith. Always looking for FI friendly plenum info :-)

HOWTOs:
                              DB vert plastic bumpers
                              OEM Keys
                              MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                              91 ic Calypso 3.1
                              86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                                what about the cone filter the same spot as Miller PSIK?
                                I'm not a huge fan of having the filter that low. It'd be a 1 in a million chance that I actually drive the car through a puddle and manage to hurt it, but I've beaten those odds before .

Finished the actual airbox install today. Quite the wrestling match. Rama's instructions make sense, loosely assemble everything, get all the bolts started, then tighten down the backing plate, spacers and trumpets together. Then remove, install the carbon, and reinstall onto the vehicle. This resulted in a lot of pre-tensioned spacers, usually in the wrong direction. I could only hand thread about 3 or 4 bolts without leaning on or having to yank spacers to get the holes to line up again. Occasionally had to complete one spacer and then use zip ties to pull the next one into place. I think I may have performed the pre-assembly stuff incorrectly, as it got pretty difficult to get everything to fit. HOWEVER, I was victorious in the end, as only the lower #6 spacer bolt is only hand tight. Everything else worked out fine. I had to shift over a starter cable, and disconnected the main harness from the firewall to get some room. I would rank this install a 7/10 on the PITA scale, but the result is pretty worth it IMO. Also having an ongoing discussion with Rama about how to improve the kit in the future.

I ended up using 2 .125" thick shims under the driver's motor mount to get the booster clearance to around 2-2.5mm. Wasn't a problem, just unexpected. 2" diameter washers did the trick.

Final hurdle is going to be hood clearance, which I'll verify with clay tomorrow. Polished the back plate a bit as well, and drilled for the IAT sensor. Finished up the chopped catch can exit.

Duct hose for the intake connection showed up today as well. Still waiting on the KAMotors inlet duct. Next up will be the design for the intake enclosure itself, as well as filter selection. I think I'm looking for somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 CFM, and roughly 50 in^2 of filter area. This has translated to roughly a 5" by 5" cone filter. More info to come.

Pictures!

Last edited by 318aye; 08-20-2017, 10:28 AM.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X