• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sweet!!

Diggin this project
    Nitin G. Shanbhag
    BMWCCA #101510
    76 2002, 88 M3 Racecar, 88 M3 2.5, 95 M3 Slicktop, 96 E36 Trackbeater , 97 M3/4 Slicktop

Comment

Sweet! Looks like it's really coming together.

Comment

Originally posted by AirDoc View Post
        Diggin this project
        Thanks Nitin! I'll swing it by sometime!

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
        Sweet! Looks like it's really coming together.
        Getting that way. I think it'll feel more finished with the catch can and valve cover done.
        sigpic

Comment

Drove the car to work, letting VE analyze do its thing. Really need more appropriate AFR targets, I'm just sort of keeping it reasonable. Also don't have the inverted TPS counts issue Kam had. My TPS counts up correctly. Catch can showed up. It's nice. $4 amazon overnight rules. IAT bracket turned out great. Ended up using 5mm longer bolts than supplied to accomodate for the thickness. I'm getting rubbing on cylinder 1 bad enough to cut into the trumpet. Most likely going to have to trim roughly .5" off the trumpet length. Valve cover went to the poweder coater's yesterday, hoping to pick up today or tomorrow. Valvetrain/cleanliness is great considering the mileage. Hopefully going to solve rubbing, mount filters, and finish the catch can bracket today.

Pictures:

Last edited by 318aye; 08-11-2017, 05:41 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

Lookin good! Now we need some induction sounds 8^)

Not sure i'm liking the IAT placement, you really want it in the intake air stream. It would be interesting to log it both ways and see how much effect it has
            My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
            4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

Originally posted by whodwho View Post
              Lookin good! Now we need some induction sounds 8^)

Not sure i'm liking the IAT placement, you really want it in the intake air stream. It would be interesting to log it both ways and see how much effect it has

Ultimate goal is to build an airbox for this whole setup, so it'll move later. Taking it s l o w l y when it comes to roughing in the tune. I'm very paranoid. Probably won't drive it hard until it gets tuned. I was almost satisfied with the fuel driveability today...and then I realized the car was in WUE until coolant was 212F and the multiplier at that point in the map was roughly %50. Oops. Should probably check shit out before I get into it :p. Drove around today with reasonable AFR's in spite of itself. Ended up trimming the trumpets .375" to gain clearance for filters, etc. I don't think this will really shift the power band down all THAT much. We'll see. Protip: use metal shears to trim down these spun aluminum guys. Bandsaw can crush or snag if you aren't careful. Got the filters on today as well, and nothing caught fire so that's a great success. Catch can mount is also done. Uses factory airbox mount. Just waiting on the valvecover to get finished tomorrow, and the PCV line to finish out the mechanical side of the project. Might even make it out to Cars and Coffee saturday.

Pictures: (Don't mind the digicamo)

Last edited by 318aye; 08-11-2017, 05:47 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

to trim trumpet you loosen the capscrew of the clamp, slide it down how much you want to trim and retighten it. Then use a 32tpi hacksaw blade using the clamp face as a guide. tape the face of the clamp so the blade does damage the face. Then use a disc sander or linisher to smooth the face, it will come out mint.
                89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                  to trim trumpet you loosen the capscrew of the clamp, slide it down how much you want to trim and retighten it. Then use a 32tpi hacksaw blade using the clamp face as a guide. tape the face of the clamp so the blade does damage the face. Then use a disc sander or linisher to smooth the face, it will come out mint.
                  That would certainly turn out a nice finish. Where were you 4 hours ago!?
                  sigpic

Comment

sleeping :)
                    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

Comment

sleeping :)
                      Jerk. ;)
                      sigpic

Comment

All done. Tried to replicated dyno4mance's AN PCV setup. Could only get my hands on 10AN fittings locally, which turned out to be too big. I believe he achieved this with a 1/2" NPT fitting threaded into the valve cover (he said 3/4" previously, but I think that was a typo). 1/2" NPT will tap nicely into the PCV vent boss, but it probably needs to be drilled out .015" or so. I tried tapping it as cast and only got roughly half an inch in. Not nearly enough to snug the fitting up. 8AN is max, this is to get the 90 fitting to fit under the fuel injection harness. All of this ended up making AN PCV more trouble than it was worth for me. Ended up just getting nice premade heater hose, Dorman PN88442 fits wonderfully, and makes the turn under the manifold well. Drove the car more, rescaled the maps to try and put resolution where it is needed.

Existing Issues: I'm getting very erratic coolant temp readings when throttle is applied. I need to double check the thermistor table calibrations, but something seems fucky. Making it hard to get the fueling anywhere close to consistent. Going to replace sensor and double check wiring. Also, this linkage LOVES to hang once the motor is hot. Seems like the only real solution is to add an auxiliary return spring, even if it is just a bandaid. Going to find a clean way to do that and report back.

Pictures!

Last edited by 318aye; 08-11-2017, 05:49 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Damn, that engine bay looks sweet.
                          How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Check to make sure it is not actually hanging or binding on anything to make sure its just lack of return spring force that is the issue.

i added a linear spring on the main lever that the throttle cable pulls on to give the pedal a nice meaty feel and ensure that the throttles return hard up against the stops. My version didn’t have the torsion spring on the idle shaft though, there was only a torsion spring on the 5&6 body.
                            Last edited by digger; 05-04-2015, 12:28 AM.

Comment

Looks great Daniel! I cant wait to hear it in a few weeks. Isnt it possible to shave down the intake manifold mount on the valve cover to give you a cleaner look?

COTM

Comment

Originally posted by rzerob View Post
                                Damn, that engine bay looks sweet.
                                Thanks! Once I get these sensor issues dealt with, hopefully it will drive as good as it looks.

Check to make sure it is not actually hanging or binding on anything to make sure its just lack of return spring force that is the issue.

i added a linear spring on the main lever that the throttle cable pulls on to give the pedal a nice meaty feel and ensure that the throttles return hard up against the stops. My version didn’t have the torsion spring on the idle shaft though, there was only a torsion spring on the 5&6 body.
                                The only bank that doesn't feel 100% fluid is 5-6. Once the TPS was installed, it felt a little sticky at 98% shut. I'm not sure what else to do about this aside from adding more return force :(

Originally posted by N2MYE30 View Post
                                Looks great Daniel! I cant wait to hear it in a few weeks. Isnt it possible to shave down the intake manifold mount on the valve cover to give you a cleaner look?
                                Thanks Dan! I believe you can shave that mount, it is solid all the way through. PITA to Reward ratio was too high for me though. I think I wouldn't be able to mill it flat very cleanly, and it might show even after powdercoat. I'll live with it :D
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X