No announcement yet.

M30 OEM Turbo project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best guess is 1-2 weeks. Some of the parts they had to order from The Fatherland, so that pushed out completion by a bit.

Comment

I bet I could put together an adapter for you. I do have access to lots of equipment (4k watt laser, CNC mills, etc...). Got pics of an adapter someone else has made?

Comment

Sadly no, so far all I've come up with is that CAD drawing that shows the dimensions of the OEM valve and mounting plate. The tricky parts to figure out are 1) can any of the aftermarket WGs be separated, i.e. remove the elbow from the spring/diaphragm/valve assembly? and 2) How long is the valve stem and what is it's movement range from open to closed? Machining an adapter isn't too hard, but the other part involves me buying a $350 WG and then proceeding to tear it apart and possibly destroy it...

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
          Sadly no, so far all I've come up with is that CAD drawing that shows the dimensions of the OEM valve and mounting plate. The tricky parts to figure out are 1) can any of the aftermarket WGs be separated, i.e. remove the elbow from the spring/diaphragm/valve assembly? and 2) How long is the valve stem and what is it's movement range from open to closed? Machining an adapter isn't too hard, but the other part involves me buying a $350 WG and then proceeding to tear it apart and possibly destroy it...

Just buy something like this and save a few bucks.

I have a 44mm that just laying around for parts but will be to big for your application

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
          1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
          Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
          Mtech 2 turbo restoration
          Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Subscribed, lots of good info here to help with my M30 turbo build. Kudo's! :coolphoto:

Comment

My EBC setup arrived from DIYAutoTune yesterday. The setup is super easy. Since I still don't have the Tial adapter, I'm going to have to put the stock WG back on for now, hence the single-port configuration:

The kit comes with 1/8" barbed fittings, but my lines are 3/16", so I had to get a couple of new fittings

All installed, along with a plug for the unused port.

And mounted on the old airbag sensor bracket in a vibration-resistant clamp.

There are only 2 wires to connect. One goes to a switched 12V source, the other to the COM port on the back of the ECU. Easy!

Comment

I just received some photos from the guys at G=Pop shop of the turbo, it's looking great!

New billet compressor wheel. 53mm inducer, 78mm exducer.

Attached to the turbine shaft:

And the CHRA, now ceramic-coated
                Last edited by CorvallisBMW; 03-16-2017, 10:10 AM.

Comment

that is seriously sweet looking. built to last.
                  I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
                  DB vert plastic bumpers
                  OEM Keys
                  MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                  91 ic Calypso 3.1
                  86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
                  TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
                  e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Some more turbo photos

Comment

all balanced? how were the parts marked?

HOWTOs:
                      DB vert plastic bumpers
                      OEM Keys
                      MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                      91 ic Calypso 3.1
                      86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
                        all balanced? how were the parts marked?
                        You can see the red paint on the compressor wheel. I have some more photos of the complete, assembled unit with all the balancing marks, but photobucket is being a little bitch right now and I can't seem to upload them.

Interestingly, they applied ceramic coating to the exhaust housing even though I'd already had that done. So now there's two layers of coating on the housing, plus a turbo blanket. If this doesn't keep down the underhood temps, nothing will! Add in the coating on the CHRA, the new heatshields, exhaust coating, and exhaust wrap, and this thing should be as insulated as humanly possible :up:

Comment

beautiful man. my favorite turbo build. nothing comes close.

HOWTOs:
                          DB vert plastic bumpers
                          OEM Keys
                          MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                          91 ic Calypso 3.1
                          86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Have you gone to a front mount intercooler?

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                            1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                            Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                            Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                            Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Ya, it's back on page 30-something IIRC

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
                                There are only 2 wires to connect. One goes to a switched 12V source, the other to the COM port on the back of the ECU. Easy!
                                Shit, did I tell you one goes to ground instead of 12v and the other to the ECU?
                                Sorry if I confused you.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Working...
                                X