M30 OEM Turbo project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
    What do you mean blocked? Haven't had a problem ordering euro parts.
    Try it again and let me know.
    ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Apparently it's a very recent thing. I spoke to a parts guy at our local dealer, he said that in the last 2 months BMW USA moved to block ALL Europe-specific parts. Blunt said the same; he can't get anything.

The good news is that some of the parts are still available through BMW Canada, including the exhaust gasket that I need. So I may have to get some help from a fellow r3v member up North...

Comment

can you still get stuff with grey market VIN and proof of ownership/reg?
        cars beep boop

Comment

AFAIK no, everything is listed as NLA when they try to order it within the US. It will show as 'quantity X' in Germany, but NLA for availability.

Comment

hmm, blunt claims it's still possible. maybe try to find someone with a 745i in the e23 sub on bimmerforums who'd order a thing for you?
            cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
              According to someone I know up the food chain the answer is yes, whether that translates to dealers has yet to be seen.
              ADAMS Autosport

Comment

hmm, blunt claims it's still possible. maybe try to find someone with a 745i in the e23 sub on bimmerforums who'd order a thing for you?
                hmmmm that might work then. Since I only have parts and not a full car, I obviously can't do the whole VIN/Reg thing.

Comment

Originally posted by SkiFree View Post
                  According to someone I know up the food chain the answer is yes, whether that translates to dealers has yet to be seen.

Welp I'm good then. Glad I got the whole car

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                  1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                  Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                  Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                  Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

You want to order me a few parts then? :)

Comment

This is awesome man, can't wait to see it all finished up! Gotta love OEM+

Comment

I learned a few more interesting things after doing some research. I was trying to find out what the purpose of this pipe is that goes between the compressor housing and the wastegate. #2 here:

On the stock m106 turbo system it connects to a "magnetic valve" which is essentially a solenoid controlled by the knock sensing system. It's no well shown in the photo, but that line is actually 2 pieces with the magnetic valve in between them. Normally this valve is closed, allowing boost pressure to build by keeping the wastegate closed. When the engine senses knock it begins to pulse the magnetic valve at some rate (Hertz), feeding boost pressure from the turbine housing to the wastegate. This increases the pressure against the wastegate and makes it lift, thereby reducing boost pressure and knock. As a whole, the system is no different than any modern electronic boost controller.

My challenge is to recreate this functionality in some way, even though I have no magnetic valve or knock sensor. This is where boost controllers come in. There are manual ball-and-spring types which, instead of pulsing a solenoid, simply open at a given pressure to lift the wastegate and control boost. There are also electronic ones that cycle a solenoid. Manual boost controllers range from about $25-$125 depending on brand and quality. Electronic boost controllers run around $400-$600, depending on brand and features.

They both accomplish the same task (controlling boost) but do it through different means. Given that I'm not boosting to high levels and that I have no knock sensing, the extra functionality of an electronic boost controller is not as useful to me. They have other benefits such as reducing the chance of boost spikes, but from a benefit-per-dollar standpoint it doesn't make sense at this time. So for now I'll plan on using a manual boost controller, putting it in-line between a port on the intake tube (manifold pressure) and the wastegate. Of course I'll still need a boost gauge (waiting for another run of the "econogauges") but that should let me easily dial in 6-8psi of boost pressure and keep the system happy.

The Source for Professional Fabrication Components in the Racing and Performance Industry.

I also found this cool little piece when looking around Ireland's website:

It would be a perfect place to get an oil feed from and allow me to hook up a regular old m20 oil cooler using AN fittings. For $150, not a bad deal. I'll keep this one on my short list of considerations.
                        Last edited by CorvallisBMW; 01-13-2015, 02:35 PM.

Comment

I've ordered a shitload of parts over the past few days, my bank account is crying :(

Air filter, fan for the IC, assorted OEM hose clamps (they're 1/3 the price of the equivalent style from McMaster!), new guibo and valve cover gasket, assorted hoses and fittings for boost control, boost controller, heat wrap, etc.

I had a few spare minutes last night so I worked on opening up the grills for more cooling air

Comment

It's harder to control low boost than high boost. What MBC did you go with and I think I missed it, but what ECU management?

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

You need to submit proof of ownership for a grey market vehicle or importation documents if its a vehicle you imported from another country. They will not make any exceptions period. It sucks. Places that are selling euro parts online probably have a buddy overseas sending them that stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
                                It's harder to control low boost than high boost. What MBC did you go with and I think I missed it, but what ECU management?
                                For now it's the Miller MAF/WAR system since I already have it. If I'm not happy with it, I'll go MS.

Comment

Working...
                                X