No announcement yet.

Brock's Alpine/Cardinal M52 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hate you. I want your interior. Glad you found a motor dude. Also RS3 are fine to daily. I daily them in the spring summer and fall.
    Last edited by brshelton; 01-09-2015, 10:57 PM.

Comment

I was going to put the engine in today but I ordered the wrong flywheel bolts. Im running a single mass JB racing aluminum flywheel and the bolts I ordered were for a dual mass and are way too long.

I'm also following through with the OBD2 knock sensor to OBD1 wiring plan, if it doesn't work I'll have to buy real OBD1 knock sensors.

Comment

What did you clean the bottom end with before you painted it? Getting into the crevices sucks.

Comment

Good luck man! Looks like a great platform to build on. I hope to have a cardinal interior some day.
          -Nick
          Originally posted by 87e30
          First of all: calm the fuck down; second of all; cool story bro.

Comment

Love the engine color dude! It's classy. Keep up the good work.
            Turbo M50 4 Door Build thread here 4 Sale thread

Comment

Had to place a special order to get the correct flywheel bolts and pressure plate bolts for my JBRacing flywheel

Also, when I was putting on my oil pan gasket one of the bolts on the back that threads to the rear main seal wouldn't torque to 7ft lbs. That was the only one, should I worry about it or get another seal carrier?

Comment

Not much going on here, keep hitting set backs.

I went through a night of debating what clutch to use. I have a 10lb JB Racing aluminum flywheel that I really wanted to run because I love lw flywheels, but I found out I had a m50 clutch and it would not work with my s52 flywheel that uses a 240mm clutch instead of the 228mm m50 clutch. I decided to run the m50 clutch kit and single mass stock weight flywheel for the sake of just hurrying up and getting the engine into the car.

only a couple mm of header clearance

I ran into yet another problem. The previous owner of the car made this home made solid shifter that I thought was going to work, but it's poorly made. I need to get a stock e36 shifter setup to properly determine if my tranny has 5th gear detent issues. I couldnt really tell if it was my crappy shifter setup or tranny issues. I don't want to hook anything else up in case of tranny issues and I have to pull everything again

Comment

Sorry for the lack of updates. It's hard to take pictures when you're just trying to grind out the work and your hands are all dirty.

I've taken the engine out probably 10+ times due to lack of clearance (mainly the exhaust) and the horrible engine mounts (old style r3vshits).

I've mainly been busy with the race car

got a new shifter and installed it

along with an AKG dssr

Here's another video showing a comparison to all my shifters

I'm going to have to get creative and hone my sewing skills to create something to cover this up

found some rare wheels and picked them up cheap

found a $10 thule roof rack at the junkyard
                  Last edited by ncbrock; 02-23-2015, 10:21 AM.

Comment

put the front end on

Comment

Working...
                    X