323i Rescue!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

323i Rescue!

I've been collecting parts for another M30 swap. I pretty much have everything except for the car. A local board member had one for sale, it's a grey market import 323i that he was going to do the M30 swap on but life is getting in the way. The timing belt snapped on the original engine and punched a hole through the side of the block.

All the flaws I saw should have had me running to the door but they were cosmetic and nothing serious, just additional cost because I've have to get my body guy involved. I'll swing a wrench any day but paint and bondo, I cringe. The euro bumpers and color combo had me mesmerized so I lost my senses and agreed to buy the car sans engine and transmission. Paperwork completed, I think one of the Benjis winked at me.

Went home and slept on it, the opossum that found it's way into the attic didn't help with all the scratching it was doing. Needless to say it was a restless night.

The 323 does not have provisions to install the battery in the trunk like later models. It's too narrow in that back corner and won't fit a standard battery. This revelation derailed the whole project. I'll save the M30 for another day.

Since money's already exchanged hands and my tow truck guy was notified I didn't see myself backing out of this deal. Besides, he was going to part the car and send it out for scrap. Hence 323i Rescue!

I've sourced a '89 parts car and will be doing the transplant over the next few months. Car is available for sale at any stage of the build with the stipulation that they continue to update the thread or start their own.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by uturn; 01-05-2015, 11:21 PM.

YAY for 323i rescues!

Comment

Sub'd.

Good luck with it Tom.
      Projects Hartge,Alpina & AC Schnitzer Builds.http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280601
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227993
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=289362

DSC04926 by Raul Salinas, on FlickrDSC03413 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr

Comment

wait, you're not m30 swapping it cause you can't fit the stock battery in the back? wat?

you know they make smaller batteries, right?

congrats on the 323i, please do m30 swap it.
        cars beep boop

Comment

323i Rescue!

Yea for another euro spec redscue. And um you can move the battery to the back get the late model cable and terminal and just hit the knock outs on the firewall with a hammer with Pop right out. I did a m30 swap on my 320i euro spec pretty much same thing as a 323. M30 swap that thing pronto and yea get a smaller battery dude. I did.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
          1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
          Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
          Mtech 2 turbo restoration
          Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Working...
          X