Long time build and restoration of an ix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long time build and restoration of an ix

I decided to update this first post regarding my ix.

History

I picked up this manual 91 iX from Kamotors. We both knew this car needed A LOT of work. It ran like garbage, the suspension clunked, steering wasnt as responsive as I know it should be, massive exhaust leak, a random rattle, and a bout 50 other issues.

The day I got it i ripped out the coolant lines and drained all the fluids apart from the brake fluid ( had steel breaded lines to install ). So i installed silicone coolant lines new coolant new engine, transmission, transfer case, and diff fluids. The driveline fluids looked liked they had never been changed. Then I addressed the ignition system.....all the plug wires where arcing to the plugs. Not one of the spark plugs had the caps removed so the plug wires can be plugged in. Replaced the whole ignition system and the car ran a lot better.

Then I addressed the intake leak. The intake elbow was torn and I replaced the AFM and the car ran even better. Now it was just a case of running out the fuel in the car and filling it up with new fuel.

After owning this car for about a year now, and having done a whole front end rebuild, new suspension, whole new interior, and a bunch of other bits. This is one hell of a nice car.

state as of Jan 2016

I have done almost all the mechanical and cosmetic repairs on the car. There are still a few things that still need to be addressed. Such as the fog lights are cracked, need to redo the headlight wiring, all new shifter linkage set up, clutch job, install my new Viscous coupling in the transfer case, and fix the body work then paint. After all of that is done this will be a $8k car. I will have a lot more than that invested in the car. The body work and paint will be $7k alone. But once shes all done she will be one of the most gorgeous iX cars in the states imo.

Future plans

I plan on building up the engine and doing some body styling and just all around making the car a beast. When the car is done, she will have a perfect driveline, coilover suspension, perfect interior with leather covered dash and center console. She will be a unique 3.1L stroker E30 iX. I'll divulge more when i have the parts for the engine.
    Last edited by Bimmer_man; 01-24-2016, 01:43 AM.
    Float like a cadillac sting like a Bimmer!:)

sigpic

Well here is a pic of it. Didn't have much of a chance to get pics. I did replace the wheels with the bbs ones that I had. Sadly the white car will be donating parts to this one because this one is now my dd.

But the work I've done thus far is:

Replaces the afm with one that I had and installed the oem air box with a drop in k&n.
    Installed the silicone intake boot
    Replaced the ecu cover and glove box
    Installed led lighting
    Purchased new transmission and transfer case fluids
    Purchased new spark plugs and exhaust manifold gaskets

More to come over time
    Last edited by Bimmer_man; 01-10-2015, 11:31 PM.

sigpic

Comment

I wondered how the iX would look with those BBS RC's
      318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
      '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Well did some maintenance on it today. I got my spark plugs and installed them. The po didn't remove the spark plug caps so the wires where just arcing to the spark plug Then making a spark in the combustion chamber. Sadly the car still runs like crap. Misses a lot stalls when it's cold. So I have a new distributor cap that was supposed to be a new distributor rotor from catuned.com. Now I'm going to say fuck it and so a timing belt on it because I really don't trust the po.

The po said that the timing belt was done a year ago. Idk if that's true or not but it's getting replaced with a new gates racing timing belt.

So tomorrow I'm going to be hunting down why the fuck this Damn car is running like garbage.

Here is a pic of the transmission fluid and the transfer case fluid

Before the little bit of maintenance being manifold gasket and spark plugs

After

Tomorrow I'm replacing the valve cover cause I hate the way this one looks.
        Last edited by Bimmer_man; 01-14-2015, 11:07 PM.

sigpic

Comment

I replaced the grease and the boots on my front half shafts. It was a pain in the ass. The snap rings where destroyed so it sucked ass.

All done

And fuck these things

sigpic

Comment

Sub :)
            https://www.facebook.com/Cry_77_IX-110483784967661
            https://www.instagram.com/cry_77_ix/

Comment

Never thought I'd see another iX with RC's. 8)

Comment

Yeah these cars wear them well if I do say so myself.

sigpic

Comment

Well not much of an update but I washed it and had the wheels balanced. She looks a lot nicer.

I still have a lot of cleaning to do. Also how do you guys get the rear bolts off the front seats. I know it's a 17mm but my sockets are too tall and my wrenches don't seem to fit.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmer_man View Post
                    Well not much of an update but I washed it and had the wheels balanced. She looks a lot nicer.

I still have a lot of cleaning to do. Also how do you guys get the rear bolts off the front seats. I know it's a 17mm but my sockets are too tall and my wrenches don't seem to fit.
                    to get the rear bolts you gotta use a wrench. Its a straight PITA but you gotta get the wrench just snug enough you can make a turn and do 1/4 turns each time. It flipping sucks and takes forever. By the time i was done my body was permanently in the pretzel position.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                    1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                    Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                    Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                    Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

HAHA that made me laugh. But well that sucks okay i get to have fun tomorrow.

sigpic

Comment

Did some more work lately.

Replaced the belts. The ac dose work now. Also installed the ie Motorsports coolant lines

Some of the bad of this car.
                        Hood and fender need paint and my ix flares mounted. Also if you notice the bumper cover has a piece missing.

Pretty good sized dent in the driver side rear quarter.

sigpic

Comment

So I took the black Diamond on the freeway the other day and then I hit 60-65 then the car started to vibrate. I'm thinking it may be the tie rods because the car dose start to get a little squirrly so we shall see.

sigpic

Comment

I have been curious on what it would cost to repair the body on my car and get her a new coat of paint. So I went to Maaco just to see what they would charge. They said $2,500.00. That's for repairing the rear quarter, radiator support and paint for the whole car. And that's there second best paint job. I'm deducting the 1k they said for the support cause kamotors is going to be helping me replace the support. But if any of you know of anyone that can do better for close to the same price of $1,500 please let me know.

sigpic

Comment

So I fixed my cars power steering now it turns smooth as butter.

Now I have a question Haha. I have been looking into doing a few performance mods on the car just to give it that little extra bump. I have herd a lot of good and bad on the Miller performance pro street induction kit. I was originally thinking ms2 because of what you can do with it. But this car is going to be just a daily driven car. What do you guys think?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X