Bronzit E30 - OBDII S52 shaved bay - weekend/autox toy - Journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jaker View Post
    For my purposes, the plastic cam cover was all the baffling I needed. Spinning the motor to 7,800 in 2nd gear, running extra pump pressure (shimmed oil pump pressure relief) and hard acceleration/braking for autocross meant that my OEM PCV system was pumping a significant amount of oil into the intake tube/boot/TB/IM/engine.

I completely blocked off the OEM port on the valve cover. With the install of the 2 -8an lines (I think, cant remember for sure anymore) in their "high" placement, the OEM intake cam plastic cover and the hand made oil separator tank, my intake system is now "bone dry". At 1st I ran it with a simple filter on the top of the can. I was getting blow-by smells in the cabin during day to day driving. Once I put the -12an line from the top of the can to the bottom of the intake tube the smells were gone and their is NO oil being sucked back into the intake.
    Interesting. Initially (ages ago) I plumbed the oem ccv to a catch can (not a great one I think) and then back to the IM with a check valve restrictor to reduce vacuum. I had oil residue in the IM so I got rid of that.

If you're not having an issue with plumbing the upgraded system back to the IM that's great as its an excellent source for vacuum. You're not concerned about the effect of the oily vapor air reducing the effective octane of the fuel/air mix? What gas do you run?
    '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
    Shadetree30

Comment

The can is very well baffled and separates oil/water from the air very effectively. The hose coming back to the boot/intake is basically dry. And the inside of the boot/elbow has NO oil residue in it at all. I'm running 11.5:1 on 94 octane - E0 (no ethanol at all in the fuel).

Comment

The can is very well baffled and separates oil/water from the air very effectively. The hose coming back to the boot/intake is basically dry. And the inside of the boot/elbow has NO oil residue in it at all. I'm running 11.5:1 on 94 octane - E0 (no ethanol at all in the fuel).
        Do you mind sharing your design? I'm curious. I think the catch can I have is quite a good design (at least the best I've seen) and I have high expectations for its performamce.

If it works as well as I hope, perhaps routing it back to the IM will be a good solution.
        Shadetree30

Comment

Pulled cams, lifters etc. and installed the ARP studs one by one.

Sprayed the underside of the hood.

This is what I use to clean internal parts that have oil varnish, carbon buildup etc. Good stuff.

Here are some parts that I soaked in the berryman for a few hours. Pulled them out and they look brand new.

Here's a dirty disassembled lifter

Soaking them in individual cups to keep the parts for each together and making sure I don't lose anything. Some of the parts are TINY.

Here's a lifter that soaked overnight and wiped off. Looks brand new :) I'll be reassembling them all tonight and reinstalling.

Last bit of news, finally got a tracking update that seats will be delivered today. It will be a fun weekend!!
          Last edited by Sh3rpak!ng; 02-03-2017, 09:01 AM.
          Shadetree30

Comment

pictures are broken for me
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by glnr13 View Post
              Dammit. Tried to link photos from my phone. Ill re link them later
              Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post
                Do you mind sharing your design? I'm curious. I think the catch can I have is quite a good design (at least the best I've seen) and I have high expectations for its performamce.

If it works as well as I hope, perhaps routing it back to the IM will be a good solution.
                Design of mine is very similar. However, I come into the can from the valve cover on the side and out to the IM through the top. My center tube gets closer to the bottom of the can (about 1") and my mesh is 5-6 layers of aluminum window screen cut in donut shapes that fit the OD of the center tube tightly (siliconed to the tube) and the ID of the can (just pushed in). I also have an open drain on the bottom of the catch can which consists of a -6an line running to the top of a clear plastic bottle down in the bumper. This collects an insane amount of oily goopy water in the winter time because it's so humid all the time and my commute is only about 15 mins, not leaving enough time for the water/humidity to boil off the oil. I'm really glad my buddy convinced me to not run the drain back to the oil pan. That's a shit ton of water that won't be going back into my oil.

Comment

Originally posted by glnr13 View Post
                  pictures fixed
                  Design of mine is very similar. However, I come into the can from the valve cover on the side and out to the IM through the top. My center tube gets closer to the bottom of the can (about 1") and my mesh is 5-6 layers of aluminum window screen cut in donut shapes that fit the OD of the center tube tightly (siliconed to the tube) and the ID of the can (just pushed in). I also have an open drain on the bottom of the catch can which consists of a -6an line running to the top of a clear plastic bottle down in the bumper. This collects an insane amount of oily goopy water in the winter time because it's so humid all the time and my commute is only about 15 mins, not leaving enough time for the water/humidity to boil off the oil. I'm really glad my buddy convinced me to not run the drain back to the oil pan. That's a shit ton of water that won't be going back into my oil.
                  Very nice. Sounds technically very similar to what I have. I think the mesh in mine is a combination of some screens and some sort of stainless steel wool type material. I've got the sight glass on the side so I can monitor fluid level and will have a drain tube going down to the ground with a ball valve so I can just drain it whenever. I like the idea of a bottle though to be able to see what you collect. Even the less effective catch can I had prior would collect a decent amount of oily watery goop.

Updates...

SEATS SEATS SEATS :bow: :firehop:

Finished cleaning all the lifters and parts. Quite tedious...

Reassembled the little pistons. I'll prime them tonight and reinstall.

Also cleaned the vanos where I will be installing the baffle. Will do that tonight as well.

Lastly, I JB welded a fitting into the obd2 CCV port. Roughed up the inside and outside of the fitting with a dremel. It's solid.

Shadetree30

Comment

Weekend progress

Picked up the batch of stuff I had cad plated wish I could plate every fastener I own :P

Continued prepping the lifters. Primed all of the pistons and filled the lifters with oil to make the startup as smooth as possible.

It's a lifter forest

Smeared clevit bearing guard on all the lifters, cam lobes and cam bearing bores.

I was very ambitious and thought the car would be driving to the pelican cars and coffee Saturday morning... not even close :P

But I did see some cool stuff. Met up with 2man and AK- and I rode with another friend. There was a green 918 that was pretty cool to see. But these two cars stood out.

This is a porsche with some interesting rear suspension. Never seen that kind of conversion on a porsche before.

And a convertible 2002

Back to work... 2man and AK- come to my place to work on rear seat delete panels. They worked on templates while I continued puttign my car back together.

Drilled holes through the vanos plate and installed the studs

Here is the front view

And here it is installed

Valve cover on. You can see some of the cad plated parts :)

The engine bay is mostly back together now with just a few small things to wrap up. I started the car and let it run for a few minutes just to make sure everything was working. It started right up with nearly no lifter tick at all... bleeding and priming the lifters definitely helped here.

I took a break on the engine bay work and moved to installing the seats. This was a little tricky since the bimarcos are pretty narrow. I had to do quite a bit of shimming with various washers to center the seats and mount everything up, but I figured out the driver seat, so passenger should be easier. I also mocked up the schroth harness for the photo. Passenger side is identical.

And I had some paypal balance so when I saw condor now offers a short version of their shift knob as well as an opm/momo color theme shift pattern I couldn't resist. The knob is just a little taller than the old knob which is perfect. Couldn't be happier with how well it fits the cockpit theme.

What's left: still need to plumb the CCV system (make lines, route hose), install the passenger seat, and finish up the headlight wiring (might put that off again).

Looks like it's raining today and tomorrow so I'll try to go for a drive on Wednesday

Two more engine bay photos...

Shadetree30

Comment

That's a cool radiator bracket. You considering making more? Kinda sick of my zip tie.

Comment

badass! I put the condor shorty (from my e36m3) in my e30 as well! love it! I never thought about doing headstuds one by one....engine bay is looking super good man!
                        89 325i 4dr s52
                        02 BMW 525iT m54b30/manual swapped (daily) *sold*
                        21' Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6 speed Manual

Comment

oh shit! i didn't know this was your car!

1991 325i
                          flickr
                          @sambhaskins

Comment

Maybe I missed it...I don't like to read, but what was the cause of all the metal shavings in the coolant?

29 Model A // 55 GMC 100 // 66 C10 // 72 BMW 2002 2.7 M20 Turbo // 75 CB500T Custom // 04 BMW M3 // 13 BMW 328i Sport

72 BMW 2002 2.7 M20 Turbo Build Thread // INSTAGRAM
                            Gewerkschaft der Polizei Sticker/Clings For Sale $8

Comment

do you get good light coverage at night with these smoked depo headlights? I am thinking about getting some and thats the one thing i am worried about. Let me know! Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by pandaboo911 View Post
                                That's a cool radiator bracket. You considering making more? Kinda sick of my zip tie.
                                Thanks, funny you ask. I've been asked by a few people about it. I would consider making more but I don't know how reliably I could reproduce it. Mine is made to fit my radiator which is way thicker than normal, so i don't really even have a "standard" on hand to measure from.
                                Originally posted by s14brent View Post
                                badass! I put the condor shorty (from my e36m3) in my e30 as well! love it! I never thought about doing headstuds one by one....engine bay is looking super good man!
                                Thanks! Yea I am very very happy with it! Perfectly compliments the e30 interior. Also glad I didn't do the taller knob, I think it'd be too tall. Especially if I get one of those AKG type shifters later. The one by one head stud replacement is actually pretty common.
                                Originally posted by sam_ View Post
                                oh shit! i didn't know this was your car!
                                Yaa! did I meet you at the pelican cars n coffee? The car in your sig looks familiar (I am terrible with names, but I always remember the car)
                                Originally posted by semaj4712 View Post
                                Maybe I missed it...I don't like to read, but what was the cause of all the metal shavings in the coolant?
                                I'm not sure. It really wasn't a lot. I'll chalk it up to not ever having a magnetic drain plug in the coolant before so it's picking up some light ferrous dust.
                                Originally posted by danielpak_ek9 View Post
                                do you get good light coverage at night with these smoked depo headlights? I am thinking about getting some and thats the one thing i am worried about. Let me know! Thanks!
                                Yes. Even just using them as is with the halogen bulbs is a huge improvement. With the HID retrofit the output is ridiculous.
                                Shadetree30

Comment

Working...
                                X