No announcement yet.

Bronzit E30 - OBDII S52 shaved bay - weekend/autox toy - Journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't know if I've said anything before or not. But amazing work and attention to detail. I'm a mechanical engineer, and some of the mods you made we just awesome to see. Keep up the good work. And now that I figured out how to subscribe lol, sub'd. Just so much information here! Everyone should look thru this thread.

Comment

yeah! we all drove down together haha.

nice meeting you, though. we definitely all need to cruise soon.

1991 325i
      flickr
      @sambhaskins

Comment

It is the best looking engine bay I have ever seen. Awesome job. I can't wait to see what you come up with next.
        How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

My radiator is probably roughly the same thickness as yours. Koyorad

Comment

Originally posted by Razor1981 View Post
            Don't know if I've said anything before or not. But amazing work and attention to detail. I'm a mechanical engineer, and some of the mods you made we just awesome to see. Keep up the good work. And now that I figured out how to subscribe lol, sub'd. Just so much information here! Everyone should look thru this thread.
            Thanks man! I am definitely a mechanical engineer at heart.
            Originally posted by sam_ View Post
            yeah! we all drove down together haha.

nice meeting you, though. we definitely all need to cruise soon.
            Ok thought so, cool. I look forward to cruising again when I'm driving my own car :)
            Originally posted by rzerob View Post
            It is the best looking engine bay I have ever seen. Awesome job. I can't wait to see what you come up with next.
            Thank you! The bay is more or less cosmetically finished now. Aside from swapping a MC, shaving the coil pack engine harness and properly finishing the headlight harness, this is it! I'm thinking the next project will be to drive it more often than I work on it :P
            Originally posted by pandaboo911 View Post
            My radiator is probably roughly the same thickness as yours. Koyorad
            Righttt, stock is 34mm, koyo is 48mm mine is 56mm. Knowing that I could scale it, or you could give me dimensions you want.
            '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
            Shadetree30

Comment

Installed the passenger seat. Went for a quick test drive last night. WOW I forgot how awesome this car is. So direct. So connected. I'm in love with it all over again. And the seats just make me feel bolted in place. I can't imagine how this will feel with the cage and harnesses. I need to adjust the seat position a bit. It's still too upright. I'll do that tonight and go for a proper drive.

Marked the spot and drilled a hole under the catch can for the drain

Finished making the lines for the catch can. I just have the exit/vent line left to plumb because I am not quite sure how I want to do it. I've been considering routing it back to the intake in order to pull vacuum. The other option is to route it straight down and just vent to atmosphere, though this option would mean drilling another hole in the plate under the catch can to pass the line cleanly. So if I'm going to drill another hole, I want to make sure that's the final solution.

And here we are now.

Shadetree30

Comment

Definitely one of my favorite builds. So many cool ideas.

How much did it cost you to have those parts Cadmium plated? Did you clean them up before you took them to the plating company? It looks killer in your engine bay with the contrasting colors.
                P.O.S 1989 325is - aka Project Sh*tbox

Project Shitbox - Restomod and other stuff - soon to be 328is

Comment

Loving your updates! Great progress being made. You went all out with those Schroth harnesses, are they Profi-II's?
                  ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Originally posted by badwella View Post
                    Definitely one of my favorite builds. So many cool ideas.

How much did it cost you to have those parts Cadmium plated? Did you clean them up before you took them to the plating company? It looks killer in your engine bay with the contrasting colors.
                    Thanks! I didn't clean them at all, some of them had paint on them so cleaning cost be a fair bit. It was ~$200 in total with about 1/3 of that cost being the sand blasting. Not all of it was for the e30 though, a bunch of the fasteners are for my e36 as well.
                    Originally posted by SkiFree View Post
                    Loving your updates! Great progress being made. You went all out with those Schroth harnesses, are they Profi-II's?
                    Thanks Andrew! They are schroth clubman 6pts, good value I think. The profi IIs are like 2x the price :P though it looks like they would do a better job of not crushing the jewels down there.
                    Shadetree30

Comment

Made some changes to the seat mounting. Initially I used a whole bunch of washers as shims between the seat and mount. I didn't like that since it looked kinda unfinished/cheap and it used up nearly my whole inventory of m8 and m10 washers :P so I got a 2ft long black nylon rod ( ;D ) from mcmaster and used my chop saw to slice it and my drill press to put a hole through it.

Kinda hard to see, but here are three of the shims on the front seat. Two on the bottom on either side of the bracket, and one up top. Looks much better.

Here are a couple of pics of the seats in the car :)

I am mostly happy with everything for now. Though I kinda feel like the seats need to be tilted back a little bit more. Right now the brackets are maxed out. The front of the seat is mounted to the top hole in the bracket, and the rear is mounted to the bottom hole. I might pickup a sparco slider and universal seat mount and see if that'll give me all the adjustment and solid mounting that I want.

Anyway, I took the car out for more of a proper drive since the weather was nice. DAMN I forgot how awesome it is. The seats just amplify the experience of everything. Amazing what a difference that makes. I feel like my body is literally integrated into the car and the only purpose of my arms and legs is to control it. Definitely improves the driver/car connection. I can't wait to take it to an event ASAP.

Inspecting all the lines, I only found one that is leaking slightly. It's one of the lines from the cooler which is easy to get to. So far its leaking much less than it ever used to! And following up on the lifter refurbish, the valvetrain sounds quieter than ever. We'll see what happens after I attend the next event. Autoxs seem to be hardest on the oiling system.
                      Shadetree30

Comment

Is the valve cover leaking ?? Lol
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:
                        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                          Is the valve cover leaking ?? Lol
                          No sir :) not a drop... so far
                          Shadetree30

Comment

What happened with the rear seat delete party? Did you guys get a working prototype?

Comment

Originally posted by rzerob View Post
                              What happened with the rear seat delete party? Did you guys get a working prototype?
                              Yea, we made a template for the rear bottom from cheap particle board. Still need to make a template for the back seat and then transfer both to plywood x3, then cover in some fabric.
                              Shadetree30

Comment

Are you going to do anything with you dash before you put in the cage? Flock it or a new one? That is the only thing I think you really need right now aesthetic wise . Personally I would do black carpet too but that is just my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                                X