No announcement yet.

Bronzit E30 - OBDII S52 shaved bay - weekend/autox toy - Journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everything is starting to come together. Slowly but surely it will be completed. Though, at this point I am starting to feel a little burned out. I have been dedicating basically all of my spare time to this non-stop. Getting physically, financially, and emotionally exhausted. But I won't stop until it drives.

I replaced all of the o-rings, filters, and pintle caps on the injectors.

Made a small harness for the gauge senders. Water temp, oil temp, oil pressure.

Getting closer, little by little.Slight modifications nearly everywhere, but it is all turning out quite well. I am happy.

KAmotors cold air intake. Very nice piece. Tough to squeeze it in there with the brake booster still in place, but I got it to fit.

The used e36 radiator had a small crack in the plastic end tank and leaked a little. I should have known this would be an issue. Tried to pinch pennies again but oh well. Decided to just bite the bullet and go full aluminum plus performance bump.

Decided to go with the koyorad 48mm unit. At $300 from frsport ebay page, I think it is an excellent option.

Mounted SPAL fan.

Comparison koyorad to stock radiator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sh3rpak!ng; 05-15-2015, 09:02 AM.
    '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
    Shadetree30

Comment

Does it fit like stock? Is it for an e36?

Been looking for alternatives to mishimoto cause I had a bad experience with those.

Comment

Originally posted by pandaboo911 View Post
        Does it fit like stock? Is it for an e36?

Been looking for alternatives to mishimoto cause I had a bad experience with those.
        The fitment was excellent as far as I can tell. It is meant for e36 but also fits e30.

I bought it after reading the following review from bimmerforums: koyorad e36 radiator review
        Shadetree30

Comment

After first oil change @20 miles on the motor. Magnetic drain plug looks good.

Connector that disintegrated after I tried to take it apart

Fixed with weather pack connectors

Got a custom laser etched shift knob from VAC. This know is FANTASTIC it has a nice weight to it, very smooth to the touch and I honestly like it more than the Zhp knob in my e36. I think it also fits the look of the car.

Second oil change at 120 miles looks good too

Took a drive in the mountains and snapped some pictures

Added Window stickers

Shadetree30

Comment

Fantastic looking build! Keep an eye on those Depos. You may want to reseal them and throw on a set of lamin-x covers. Mine started fogging up after after a few months and then cracked shortly after that.

Comment

Originally posted by 325ix View Post
              Fantastic looking build! Keep an eye on those Depos. You may want to reseal them and throw on a set of lamin-x covers. Mine started fogging up after after a few months and then cracked shortly after that.
              Thanks!

Believe it or not, one of them cracked about a week after I installed them. Not badly, rock chipped the outer edge of the lens. I have the laminx covers sitting on the workbench :mrgreen: just gotta install them
              Shadetree30

Comment

Mine got a nice crack from one side to the other after a few months

Comment

Originally posted by 325ix View Post
                  Mine got a nice crack from one side to the other after a few months
                  glad you reminded me. I'll install them today
                  Shadetree30

Comment

Replaced the Megan RSMs with GC RSMs. I suspected the Megan RSMs as being bad and causing squeaking/creaking noises. The GC RSMs didn't change anything, so I guess the Megan RSMs were fine. Although the GC RSMs are still a good investment with lifetime supply of bushing inserts and the reinforcement bracket.

42 draft designs catch can. Very nice piece. It should look at home in the engine compartment. 3/4 inlet/outlet matches perfectly with the VC outlet and the ICV fittings. More on this later.

e46 330ci steering rack. I decided the e36 rack was still a little too slow. Grabbed the e46 rack from rackdoctor for a good price. Very happy with it thus far.

Changed the brackets/hangers on the midsection to the correct rubber hanger setup I should have done from the beginning. My BS cornercutting hardmounted/welded bracket from muffler to body started cracking from the vibration and play between motor + chassis. No more problems now.

Yes there is oil leaking on the exhaust tubing. Gear oil from the transmission to be exact. Leaking from the output seal to be more exact. The only damn seal I didn't replace because it wasn't previously leaking, I didn't have the right size socket to take the flange off, and it looked like a PITA to be even more exact

While the rack was out I made some halfway legit spacers. I was using the same nuts and washers before, but now I just tacked them together.

Guts for an LSD unit swap. 3.25 gearset. Long story short, at some point I read and saw mention that there are two "different" basic 188mm LSD units. One that are used for taller gearsets, and one that is used for shorter gearsets. The cutoff is 3.07 IIRC - don't take my word for this, but I know there are two different units. Bottom line, I got excited that I finally found a 188mm LSD unit at a reasonable price, bought it, and then later figured out it is the unit for the taller gears <3.07 which was clearly stated on the ad I got an e36 188mm LSD unit a week later.

Skid plate installed

Last edited by Sh3rpak!ng; 05-18-2015, 12:19 PM.
                    Shadetree30

Comment

Sweet! It's really coming along. You'll love that steering rack, I have the same one in my car
                      -Alex

Comment

Originally posted by acolella76 View Post
                        Sweet! It's really coming along. You'll love that steering rack, I have the same one in my car
                        Thanks! Yea, I've actually been driving the car with that rack for like 4-5 weeks now (this thread is slowly getting up to date). I love it. That was a huge reason I always liked driving my dad's 330ci.
                        Shadetree30

Comment

I have the e46 rack as well and it's awesome. Altho it's a common misconception that the 330 zhp got a lower ratio steering rack. The 325 had the same 3.0 turn rack but with more power steering assist.

Comment

Originally posted by pandaboo911 View Post
                            I have the e46 rack as well and it's awesome. Altho it's a common misconception that the 330 zhp got a lower ratio steering rack. The 325 had the same 3.0 turn rack but with more power steering assist.
                            Haha I actually commented on the e46 rack in your thread!

Yea, as far as I could tell from my research the 330 zhp and regular 330 have the same specs for the rack, but some ever so slight difference in the body. Amazing how much bad info there is on these steering racks lol. Everyone going gaga over the z3 rack.....
                            Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post
                              Haha I actually commented on the e46 rack in your thread!

Yea, as far as I could tell from my research the 330 zhp and regular 330 have the same specs for the rack, but some ever so slight difference in the body. Amazing how much bad info there is on these steering racks lol. Everyone going gaga over the z3 rack.....

Yeah z3 rack is twice the cost for a tiny difference. Isn't worth the $200 extra imo

Comment

Does the M50 intake manifold clear the brake booster with out any issues?
                                sigpic
                                The "Because Race Car" M60 V8 Build Thread
                                On Instagram Straight Flexin' #BecauseRaceCar

Comment

Working...
                                X