No announcement yet.

ScottyB's 1987 E30 RallyCross Re-Build for Mod Rear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was just an open hole into the oil pan. There is a pressure port on the other side.

I may regret the PS removal. I'm keeping it just in case but I figured the car will be so light I am hoping it wont be too bad especially since we are always on dirt not pavement.

Comment

Here is the link to the alternator. http://www.ebay.com/itm/151319614914...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT I think there is a 70A version that weighs a few pounds more if you search a little on ebay.

No plans to do anything with it but RallyCross. I didn't cut out the front doors because I didn't feel like it would be safe without a full cage.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottyB View Post
        It was just an open hole into the oil pan. There is a pressure port on the other side.

I may regret the PS removal. I'm keeping it just in case but I figured the car will be so light I am hoping it wont be too bad especially since we are always on dirt not pavement.
        Yeah, will be interesting to see.

Originally posted by ScottyB View Post
        Here is the link to the alternator. http://www.ebay.com/itm/151319614914...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT I think there is a 70A version that weighs a few pounds more if you search a little on ebay.

No plans to do anything with it but RallyCross. I didn't cut out the front doors because I didn't feel like it would be safe without a full cage.
        Thanks. Agree on the safety aspect. And to be honest, cutting out the doors really doesn't save much weight anyhow (I did my rears).

Will check out the 70A alt. I have to have enough juice to run lights and my cheapo radio on the long hauls to the events when I don't feel like towing :)
        Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
        Track/street e21 build
        visit Condor Speed Shop
        visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

Worked out in the garage most of the weekend. The interior is fully stripped and scraped (at least I think it is, I keep finding more things that can be removed :)). The Corbeau seats were nice but they are heavy. Since I already have one spare welded aluminum Kirkey seat I am leaning toward going that way. I don't exactly know how much lighter they are but its at least 15lbs per seat, may be 20.

This is the third pile that has been at least this big. I'm tired of using the heat gun and chisel to scrape so I'm glad its done.

Not much left to say here. I think we are done with the inside.

The plan is to take it for paint this weekend if all goes to plan.

Comment

I hope to start fitting pieces back on the car next week. Here is an interesting piece we are going to use

Comment

The thought of an aluminum seat hurts my ass, unless you guys have way smoother courses out there than we do here. My seat gets a workout, lol.
              Track/street e21 build
              visit Condor Speed Shop

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

If its too rough I can put a gel insert in the bottom. They only weigh about 3lbs

Comment

Pressure washed the car today and riveted some aluminum panels into the holes in the lower rear quarter panels where the vents were (behind the bumper). Tomorrow is paint day! I'm excited about it. My painter friend had a great idea. I'm certainly not wanting to spend much on paint for a rallycross car but I want it to look decent. $80 later, I have a gallon of single stage enamel, reducer, and gloss catalyst hardener from Tractor Supply. The spray can is just to show the color on the cap. For $4 I thought it might be a good idea to have a touch up can.

Comment

I've used that brand before and it's really, really tough and won't chip easily. It did take a really, really long time to dry though (granted, I used it in an unheated garage in the winter). I think it took about a week to dry totally from the spray can, but maybe I didn't shake it up enough. So make sure to shake and stir well! :)

That color is gonna look awesome. Doing any kind of design (e.g. stripes, etc) or just a full-car job?
                    Track/street e21 build
                    visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. Did you use the catalyst hardener? Its supposed to be 60 here tomorrow and I believe we are baking it after the spray so I hope it dries ok. I'm lucky to have some professional help.

Comment

I just used the spray - was doing some wheels. Sounds like you have much better conditions (and much more know-how help) than I did, lol.
                        Track/street e21 build
                        visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

It turned out fantastic! The shine is great. It looks just like Chevy Hugger Orange in person. We didn't fix any of the dings, just sanded it real well. The roof had some kind of white wrinkle coating on it that was really tough to scrape off, even with a heat gun. It was well worth the effort.

Last picture of it in Gray

We took it home this morning. I couldn't be happier with it.

Comment

After getting it home, I spent the rest of the day cleaning and painting small parts. The paint seems dry but I want to give it a few days to be sure. So I spent this afternoon working in the engine compartment. Its finally stripped down as far as I can go. Hopefully the next set of pictures I post will show some forward progress.

Comment

looks awesome!

can't wait to see it get dirty, lol.
                              Track/street e21 build
                              visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

A few updates over the past few days. After reading a lot of posts I decided to eliminate the oil cooler since each rallycross run only lasts for a minute or two. Its not like a 15-20min track session. That's a few more lbs off the front :) I've got the fitting on order to screw the oil filter directly to the block.

I'm also starting to put a few of the pieces back on the car after paint. The door handles were easy. I decided to black out the front so the the grill was disassembled. I bead blast the chrome bits, painted it all semi-flat black and completed the install.

I plan to cap off those holes and black out the bottom across the front of the car. Maybe add a flexible lip across the bottom too.

I didn't like the look of the red-orange-clear tail lights and I had a can of VHT Night Shades sitting on the shelf so they got one coat of tint followed that up with two coats of Krylon UV clear. After a quick buffing they look pretty good. I am sure some of you are thinking that's silly for a rallycross car since it will get totally dirty but I want it to start off looking good anyway.

I am also starting to think about the wiring, remember I stripped every last bit of it. I was able to remove 12 circuits from the Microsquirt harness since they are unnecessary for my purpose. it was pretty easy, the connector comes apart and then once the tabs are pushed a bit the pin pulls out the back.

Comment

Working...
                                X