Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E30 Street/TimeAttack (+ E36 V8 Turbo Touring)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's more comprehensive update of what's done and what not:

S369 turbo seems to fill up the space effectively, in fact my earlier S467 was equipped with a rare small comp cover which is smaller in diameter...

I got my injectors and made couple of weld bungs which turned out too short after drilling the holes

Pile of ignition coils:

I was thinking to order a laser cutted rack for coils, so I made a "coarse" 3D mockup one evening:

Primarily I focused on drivetrain, gearbox adapter plate needed a few holes, apparently I had cutted my cardboard mockup along the wrong line and there was not enough material for one hole, but it was easily fixed with a welder:

Before I was able to make a cross member I hung gearbox from the inside, also I've forgot to take pictures of the cross member and mounts in the chassis:

The gear shifter episode:
    Got to start from somewhere, this is what felt a good location:

And how it turned out:

Facebook - MRT Engineering
    eBay - MRT Engineering
    Instagram - mrtengineering
    YouTube - miugemrt

Comment

The mock up for the coil packs, would you consider putting it into production or looking as a more one off part?

From the look of the rendering mounted to the valve cover correct? Are you utilising the afm mounts on the cover?

Comment

can't wait until this is finished!

idk might just be me but I wouldn't have drilled/shaved/cut anything on the runners with my head right there, now there are shavings all inside it! haha

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony B View Post
          The mock up for the coil packs, would you consider putting it into production or looking as a more one off part?

From the look of the rendering mounted to the valve cover correct? Are you utilising the afm mounts on the cover?
          Sure if you need one, I'll just measure valve cover AFM mounts and make a sketch. In fact I was thinking to tilt coil mounts from horizontal to vertical which might simplify things.. :)

squidmaster: It's easy to put parts in the washing machine and they'll be clean and shiny again ;D
          eBay - MRT Engineering
          YouTube - miugemrt

Comment

I knowww! But there's always a chance it wont get everything, just one more thing to worry about! Haha

Comment

Anthony:

Another revision utilizing M30 valve cover AFM and harness mountings:
              eBay - MRT Engineering
              YouTube - miugemrt

Comment

sub
                https://www.facebook.com/Cry_77_IX-110483784967661
                https://www.instagram.com/cry_77_ix/

Comment

Originally posted by Miuge View Post
                  Anthony:

Another revision utilizing M30 valve cover AFM and harness mountings:

Can't wait to see this fab'd up, I'll be interested to see how they sit on the valve cover. I've been looking at similar firewall mounted ones

Comment

Originally posted by Miuge View Post
                    Space was limited but the volume will be near 9 liters when finished. I think there's no ultimate formula for calculating ideal volume, but 2-3 times the engine displacement should do when seeking at maximum power.
                    Interesting. I assume there is minimum(just for the sake of flow) - but I wonder if there is an practical upper limit that you begin to loose performance.
                    Originally posted by Matt-B
                    hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Space and weight affect that "maximum" I imagine. I mean, unless someone wants to install a fuel-cell style tank of oil in their trunk?

Comment

AnthonyB:
                        One thing I wasn't thinking about earlier is that my engine is located "underneath the windshield" and the height of the coil pack with vertical mounting is around 95mm, my engine is tilted +10deg more upright.. Not too much space available there neither Need to measure..

George:
                        Volume of the plenum (as well as runner length and diameter) is always a compromise, unless it's some kind of a complicated variable type. Smaller volume gives a better response, but bigger will allow the best peak power.
                        About the upper limit, I think you can't make "too big" and lose peak performance, but you'll sure notice more lag and weakened throttle response.

I wish free valve system would become more common in near future.. Hmm, a free valve M30 ;D Check out Koenigsegg talking about their system on Youtube.
                        eBay - MRT Engineering
                        YouTube - miugemrt

Comment

I got my new longer injector weld bungs and welded the plenum chamber together. Injectors are Bosch 210lb with 15mm extensions with filters.
                          I also got 2x 380LPH fuel pumps which will feed E85 through the 7micron inline filter.

One day I scanned the oil pump back plate and made a 3D model, a blank will be most likely water jet cut, then machined:
                          eBay - MRT Engineering
                          YouTube - miugemrt

Comment

Holidays... Good time for the project!

Apparently it was time to finish the new engine mounts, now with delrin bushing:

You might remember I just did one gearbox cross member, but surprisingly I wasn't happy with the outcome so I did a new one:

E60 M5 driveshaft needed to be shortened 400mm, I hope my welds will hold:

While fabricating the drivetrain I wanted to revise rear axle carrier mounting one more time. I machined a couple of delrin bushings and formed some sheet metal pieces to get this appearance:

Prototype of a M30 ignition coil rack was finished too:
                            eBay - MRT Engineering
                            YouTube - miugemrt

Comment

All this fab looks fantastic. I love it!

Comment

Wow, very nice job on those engine mounts. Surprised you aren't using a gas lens on your torch setup.

Originally posted by 2mAn
                                The BMW V6 is the best

Comment

Working...
                                X