• Show
Clear All

Just mocking stuff up...

Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Cleaning things up before I tear it all apart. ARP studs and the MLS headgasket are going on soon. Trying to decide if I should swap the current cam for the one that came with my box of parts. If I knew how to identify what cams I had, it would help in the decision

engine_painted1_zpskyehs6fi by 2mAn

PO claimed the engine had recently been rebuild, once I pulled the valvecover off, I am a believer. Everything looks new.

cylinderhead1_zpsphbszj0j by 2mAn

cylinderhead2_zpswx2zsy7w by 2mAn

We also came up with a plan for the exterior, I have my fingers crossed it will play out like it is in my head because that will be something to see
      Last edited by 2mAn; 07-15-2017, 09:30 PM. Reason: fuck photobucket
      Simon
      Current Cars:

Comment

looking forward to progress

this is going to be great to watch. Will be keeping an eye on this!:)
        jm

Comment

Aw yiss :)
          Current:
          1989 325i
          1988 M3
          1987 325ic
          Past:
          2001 330ci
          2001 M3

Comment

"Making a mess in the garage" picture break

What do you guys recommended using the clean the mating surfaces? Normally i just let the machine shop deal with it but this is basically a "headgasket job"
            Simon
            Current Cars:

Comment

Simon, for serious. I though you bought a 2002, until I read that's it's your cousin's. I almost shat myself.

Comment

I really like them Matt, but honestly I'll probably buy a 914 and turn it into a vintage racecar or maybe a lemons racecar first... 2002s are great little cars but i have to be pretty careful when i buy a car that i know what purpose it will serve. Not sure where a 2002 would fit except for a fun car, so its lower on the list. With this build, I get to create something I wanted to and not spend my own money. Vision isnt 100% mine, but I get to collaborate with family and help him see his vision through, I just steer it in a direction that I think will be best...

Ok, heres a breakdown of todays work:

Pulled the cylinder head and started cleaning with a razor blade, brake clean and a ton of towels. Got the studs in but didnt finish because Im going to try and figure out the cam situation and also swap out the valve springs to the duals that I got. Thinking I might as well swap cams, but I will put them side by side and decide which one has sexier curves, unless I can find a more "scientific" approach.

another shot of the mess! haha

engine_teardown1_zpsbhhuampa by 2mAn

engine_teardown2_zps7qlsingu by 2mAn

artsy fartsy
                engine_teardown3_zpskrh0lptz by 2mAn

the head with the goodies and the block will be patiently waiting
                engine_teardown4_zpsfmjokzuc by 2mAn

and finally, I left my cousin some homework to do
                homework1_zpsvikcllza by 2mAn

homework2_zpsevclhp9y by 2mAn
                Last edited by 2mAn; 07-15-2017, 09:33 PM. Reason: fuck photobucket
                Simon
                Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                  big thanks to E30_Pare for the photoshop!!

havent bought any wheels yet, but saw these and thought they would be a good choice
                  .....I have these (not my car, but the wheels I own came from it)

Attached Files
                  Last edited by 411; 05-10-2015, 04:33 AM.
                  sigpic

Comment

ohh damn. nice
                    sigpic
                    323i MTEC1
                    Z3 coupe
                    E60 M5

Comment

slow progress is better than no progress...

with another trip planned up north to visit, I needed to kick it into high gear and none other than Andrew from Ireland came in to help like my knight in shining armor.

I made an after hours visit to Ireland Engineering and we worked late into the night making sure this head got the proper treatment.

A very cool setup to hold the head elevated, along with the parts that were going to be installed.
                      head_stand_zpsr98guaig by 2mAn

We pulled the cam and rockers, inspected everything with the anticipation of swapping over the cam, upgrading to dual valve springs and the titanium retainers. I kinda knew the Ti retainers were overkill and Andrew agreed, especially for what were building. Andrew close eye for the details found that the cam that was already in the head was a performance cam, but showed signs of wear that would be big trouble down the road.

So out went the used parts and in went an IE reground 284 cam, Ireland Engineering HD rockers, new eccentrics, rocker shaft, and cam locks in addition to the dual valve springs.

head_upgrades_zpsqvt0or5c by 2mAn
                      (my photo skills are a joke next to Andrews)

dual_valve_springs3_zpsn9ljkrle by 2mAn

this one is still mine, but I tried a little harder to not look like a 5 year old took the pic.

head_halfway_done_zpsdf5qxi4r by 2mAn

Obviously, without his help this build would be very different and I look forward to spending more of my cousins money on IE parts :rofl: I use them in my E30 also, so its money well spent. Supporting a business that supports us!
                      Last edited by 2mAn; 07-15-2017, 09:35 PM. Reason: fuck photobucket
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:

Comment

I like that head stand! Nice to see some solid progress on this thing

'73 2002 m20 turbo [sold] '87 rat rod 325is [couch modded] '91 vert [daily] '88 325is [spec build v1] '84 325 [spec build v2] '99 323i vert [sold]

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                          "Making a mess in the garage" picture break

What do you guys recommended using the clean the mating surfaces? Normally i just let the machine shop deal with it but this is basically a "headgasket job"
                          I have heard the best thing to use is a roloc bristle disc on a angle grinder and believe it because they are supposed to remove everything but metal. I've seen where some people use the scotch Brite disc on a angle grinder but I know they can be to harsh and actually grind the metal some.

Comment

When I did my M20 I used Roloc Discs in the Medium and Coarse variety paired with many many Scotch Brite Pads and it went quick and I was very satisfied with the results. I used the Discs on an angle grinder and had no issues at all, low speed and plenty of control kept things from getting out of hand for me.
                            clutchCTRL!
                            Move with a purpose.
                            - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
                            - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
                            - 2000 323i AT
                            2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

I like how your notes includes words of encouragement.
                              ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Reground 284 IE cam.
                                That must mean a shaft with smaller than stock base circles?

Jarno

Comment

Working...
                                X