The budget mini-resto: 1991 318is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FL318is View Post
    Looking good! I too took out the air bag wheel. No regrets. The red with black rims look good. Mine is alpine. I think the contrast is too much. Are those TR rims?

BTW, Lax stick. Big fan. Middie and attack.
    Thanks. Yep, look like Miata sizes to me, with 205/50R15 tires. Honestly I'm a big fan of black on white cars! That's how my BRZ is, white with black wheels :

I played attack as well, back in Maryland where I grew up.

Comment

Have a build thread for that BRZ somewhere? Awesome photo!

[Edit] Wait, is that your's, or an example of the color combo you have?
      91 318is Members' Rides Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Ocell View Post
        Have a build thread for that BRZ somewhere? Awesome photo!

[Edit] Wait, is that your's, or an example of the color combo you have?
        Yep, thats mine, now owned by the company I work for, Chin Motorsports.

BRZ build thread: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38781

Comment

Looks good!

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
          Ig:ryno_pzk
          I like the tuna here.
          Originally posted by lambo
          Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Originally posted by smbstyle View Post

You work for Chin? That's awesome. I've been keeping an eye on their track schedule in the Texas area. I hope I can make it out on track with their group sometime in the future. Thanks for the build link!

Comment

What a great restoration! I'm on the same path as you, just waiting on time to free up. I have the same exact leak- just not looking forward to removing the bits to free up the oil filter housing.
              The Red Dragon V.5 1991 318iS / 2013 F800GT

"You gotta fix the nut behind the wheel before you fix the bolts on the car"

Comment

You work for Chin? That's awesome. I've been keeping an eye on their track schedule in the Texas area. I hope I can make it out on track with their group sometime in the future. Thanks for the build link!
                You should! I'll be running our upcoming MSR Houston event in May. We'll also have a COTA date later in the year, around the F1 race. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you've got any questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiff325iS View Post
                  What a great restoration! I'm on the same path as you, just waiting on time to free up. I have the same exact leak- just not looking forward to removing the bits to free up the oil filter housing.
                  It's super easy. Intake and alternator came off within 20 minutes or so, and oil filter housing is right there. The most time consuming part was cleaning the surface of the housing to get the gasket on. And use the copper gasket sealant/adhesive, makes things 100x easier.

Oh, and don't forget, 10 nm (7.38 ft/lbs) is the specified torque for the housing bolts! Don't be like me and try to go over 10 ft/lbs... ended up having to buy a new bolt, and luckily the end that snapped off was sticking up so I could get some vice grips on it. I died a little inside when I heard the pop.

Comment

It's super easy. Intake and alternator came off within 20 minutes or so, and oil filter housing is right there. The most time consuming part was cleaning the surface of the housing to get the gasket on. And use the copper gasket sealant/adhesive, makes things 100x easier.

Oh, and don't forget, 10 nm (7.38 ft/lbs) is the specified torque for the housing bolts! Don't be like me and try to go over 10 ft/lbs... ended up having to buy a new bolt, and luckily the end that snapped off was sticking up so I could get some vice grips on it. I died a little inside when I heard the pop.

Good to know! I'm in the same process with my oil pain bolts, gotta heli-coil a lot of them very soon... Super excited about it :/

Hoping to tackle the oil filter housing next week.

What is the copper sealant you used? Pic?
                    The Red Dragon V.5 1991 318iS / 2013 F800GT

"You gotta fix the nut behind the wheel before you fix the bolts on the car"

Comment

Originally posted by Spiff325iS View Post
                      Good to know! I'm in the same process with my oil pain bolts, gotta heli-coil a lot of them very soon... Super excited about it :/

Hoping to tackle the oil filter housing next week.

What is the copper sealant you used? Pic?

I sprayed both sides of the gasket, laid it onto the oil filter housing and wont slide around as you're trying to line up the filter housing onto the block.

Comment

Amazing work so far! Seeing what you've done with the intake manifold/oil filter housing, you've given me some more reason to do the same to mine. I noticed I had the same small puddle of oil in that exact spot, now I know where it's from! Thank you from another new 318is owner!
                        -Todd

Current: 1991 Diamantschwarz Metallic 318is

Gone: 2004 Flame Red Neon SRT-4

Comment

I just finished reading the thread and watching all the videos. Fantastic stuff. I can't get over this:

I was so proud when my instructor this weekend told me my car was very fun to drive. Pales in comparison to having Pobst write an article about it being the best handling car, ever!

Comment

I just finished reading the thread and watching all the videos. Fantastic stuff. I can't get over this:

I was so proud when my instructor this weekend told me my car was very fun to drive. Pales in comparison to having Pobst write an article about it being the best handling car, ever!
                            Yeah, it was a pretty incredible moment hearing him say that! He didn't want to get out of the car lol

Comment

Great write up, looks like you're taking good care of the 318. I also have a BRZ & 318is and have seen the write up by Pobst on your BRZ, pretty cool, keep up the good work!

Comment

Working...
                              X