Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would be inclined to keep it Malaga.
    But keeping in the old german realm, here is a link I like:
    VW Colors (Colours), Volkswagen Paint Chips, Color codes aircooled volkswagens, beetles, kaefers, coachbuilts, hebmullers, rometsch

Comment

^^ Theres some really nice colors in there

29 Model A // 55 GMC 100 // 66 C10 // 72 BMW 2002 2.7 M20 Turbo // 75 CB500T Custom // 04 BMW M3 // 13 BMW 328i Sport

72 BMW 2002 2.7 M20 Turbo Build Thread // INSTAGRAM
      Gewerkschaft der Polizei Sticker/Clings For Sale $8

Comment

Ran into some problems today, i put the dummy motor in and guessed which hole on the motor mount I was supposed to use, I have no idea why there is two holes for the drivers side motormount but i guessed got it in there good and now noticed that the transmission seems to be angled about 2-4 degrees off center, so by the time the rear of the transmission sits in the tunnel, it is hugging the drivers side and off by about 2 inches.

So obviously the trans brace doesnt line up even remotely close.

Heres a pic of the motor mount adapters

You can see on that left side on the tab theres two holes. I have an email into the guy who makes these to figure out why there are the two holes.

I am going to probably swap mounting holes to see if that lines it up any better but I chose the hole I did because the motor fit a lot easier into the subframe, using the other hole it didnt want to sit all the way into place.

29 Model A // 55 GMC 100 // 66 C10 // 72 BMW 2002 2.7 M20 Turbo // 75 CB500T Custom // 04 BMW M3 // 13 BMW 328i Sport

Comment

the two holes are there for a reason. One is an alignment hole for a centering nub on the stock bushing

'73 2002 m20 turbo [sold] '87 rat rod 325is [couch modded] '91 vert [daily] '88 325is [spec build v1] '84 325 [spec build v2] '99 323i vert [sold]

Comment

Oh that makes total sense (I am using condor speedshop mounts so it didn't occur to me), so that would in theory be the center most hole. Which is the one I am using, so I may have a greater problem then. Need to look into this

Comment

Why do I feel like this is the same issue Absorbant had with the same mounts?
              clutchCTRL!
              Move with a purpose.
              - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
              - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
              - 2000 323i AT
              2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

Originally posted by semaj4712 View Post
                Oh that makes total sense (I am using condor speedshop mounts so it didn't occur to me), so that would in theory be the center most hole. Which is the one I am using, so I may have a greater problem then. Need to look into this
                You're using the same mounts that I used with my swap. The stud goes into the center hole, I didn't think it was confusing at all when I did mine....

Originally posted by kid325e View Post
                Why do I feel like this is the same issue Absorbant had with the same mounts?
                lol hopefully he's not, otherwise he's in for a world of trouble :popcorn:

'73 2002 m20 turbo [sold] '87 rat rod 325is [couch modded] '91 vert [daily] '88 325is [spec build v1] '84 325 [spec build v2] '99 323i vert [sold]

Comment

Me too, I'm sure OP can manage. Seems to have some skills.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
                  clutchCTRL!
                  Move with a purpose.
                  - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
                  - 2000 323i AT
                  2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

annndddd im sub'd!
                    1990 325is
                    m52b28
                    3.73lsd
                    g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

Those little headlight adjusters you made are seriously cool. Great little detail to add to the bike. How did you create the cross hatched looking texture on the outside?

--Roundie Revival 2.0 - 1973 BMW 2002 Build Thread--
                      --Golden Boy E30 Build Thread-- (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by CubbyChowder View Post
                        Those little headlight adjusters you made are seriously cool. Great little detail to add to the bike. How did you create the cross hatched looking texture on the outside?

Thanks man, they make little rollers with the opposite of the pattern on it that you roll into the material on the lathe, look up knurling

Ok so once again I am super annoyed with how slow progress has been on this car, I went outside to get more work into the trans tunnel when it started to rain.

However, I figured out the motor mount issue, it turns out the angle of the engine front to aft will affect the straightness of the trans. Idk if that makes sense, but if the trans is essentislly hanging lower than it is supposed to it will angle the trans towards the drivers side, and if the trans is angled too high, it swings it out to the passenger side. So i found what I believe to be the perfect height.

This is about the time it started to pour.

So remember that trans brace I made, yea i hated it, it looked like crap and I wasnt happy with it, every once in awhile i read through this build thread, http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26508, its ctnewman from e30tech that built the rb26 e30, anyway his attention to detail and fabrication skills leave me with a lot to be desired. But from inspiration from his thread and nothing to do while it rained I started from this tube.

2x1.5 in steel tubing, and cut one side off of it

Its prolly overkill so I added speed holes

Rounded the edges

And then forgot to take pictures while I finished it,

Hope to get it mounted up tomorrow and get some more work done on the trans tunnel. Im starting to think i should rename this thread, trans tunnel build

Comment

Just curious, what was the reason behind cutting the bottom surface of the tubing out?

--Roundie Revival 2.0 - 1973 BMW 2002 Build Thread--
                          --Golden Boy E30 Build Thread-- (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by CubbyChowder View Post
                            Just curious, what was the reason behind cutting the bottom surface of the tubing out?
                            I'm assuming it's because OP wanted to use a U channel for this, but didn't want to go out and buy one. Also probably so it doesn't catch/hold water. I doubt that's an issue with all those holes though

Comment

Truthfully this may sound crazy, but the reason for cutting the bottom of the tubing was for three reasons, 1, I dont think it needs that much strength, 2, so water or grim cant get stuck in it and 3, I didnt want the typical taper that is inside of a u beam, in theory a u beam should be exactly the same as what I had after cutting the side off. But in actuality you are left with the following.

Which to do my speed holes in the side would have taken twice the amount of time because I wouldn't have been able to drill straight through.

I tested the design out in cad sim before building it, the metal is twice the thickness of a stock e30 trans mount, and still with the speed holes retains twice the strength. It is however twice the weight. But it is twice the size as it needs to be to stretch the width of my transtunnel

Comment

Nice bracket man! Looking stout!
                                clutchCTRL!
                                Move with a purpose.
                                - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
                                - 2000 323i AT
                                2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

Working...
                                X