No announcement yet.

e30 323i N54 teaser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The project is still a go, Just busy as expected.
    I've made a couple changes in game plan, very minor of course.

I am purchasing a new body harness, There are more than a few creature comforts I'd be interested in incorporating into the e30 chassis, such as Motion front Headlights, auto dim mirror, Door handle lights, Id also like to see if the hill start brake engages, if not what I can do to make it happen.

Not sure on what I want to do, Try custom fitting an e90 dash similar to HakenTT in his e36, this would take a lot of modification, but anyone who has done finish work before should be able to make it less of a hack job.
    Second idea is a custom upholstered e30 dash similar to what we've all seen at one point or another.

For giggles we took a g260 from an e36 and put it up against the n54, and about %70 percent of the bosses line up, including the starter. Other holes you would be able to drill, and thread since the holes run on a lip.
    Furthermore the N54 block gives you plenty of bosses for custom mounts, and I have dimension jotted down for when I make my initial purchase.

As expected this engine is fairly short, Longer then an M20 by a couple inches, shorter than an M30 by a couple inches, which is good news for engine bay fitment.

We removed the subframes off my old swap, which has some goodies. The Rear subframe is a unit from a Z3 fully reinforced with condor raised subframe mounts, and IE Poly trailing arm bushings. The front is also fully reinforced and to be sent out to Arc asylum this week! The Ground control coilovers are obviously going on this rig as well.

Comment

less planning, more installing!

Comment

I'll be happy to change the title from "teaser" to "active build". Once I get everything moved into the new place, mounts are starting. Right now I'm midway through a move, started a new career, and other various excuses. Until then it will indeed be a teaser till around august as stated in op :(

Comment

Subbed' :)

out dated sig is out dated

Comment

you need the entire ABS system for the hill assist to function. The DME communicates with the ABS computer (which I think is still the MK60 DSC system) and tells it to hold the brakes. also if you wanted to run the E90 cluster, you need the ABS system anyway or the speedometer won't work. Unfortunately that also means you get stuck with the super annoying traction nanny.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Right on Nando, looks like that creature comfort will have to wait since I plan to run without abs for the time being. Luckily the the provision for speedometer readout is easier "done than said".

It only takes one speed/abs sensor, and tone gear to run the speedometer. there is plenty of space to install the tone gear which is great news :)

Comment

Nice!

I am just starting work on an '84 316.. Still a little curious about the history as well, since they were purely gray market. But long story short, this was owned by Freeman motors for a short while and they started the conversion to race car. We are finishing it.
                1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                2016 Ford Flex
                2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by the imitator View Post
                  Right on Nando, looks like that creature comfort will have to wait since I plan to run without abs for the time being. Luckily the the provision for speedometer readout is easier "done than said".

It only takes one speed/abs sensor, and tone gear to run the speedometer. there is plenty of space to install the tone gear which is great news :)
                  for the DME or the instrument cluster?

the E90 speedometer is run with a CAN signal.. it doesn't read it straight from the ABS computer like the earlier cars did. I'm also pretty sure that signal needs to be processed, they are active sensors rather than passive ones. If it works for you then great.

also, I think the MK60 sensors should work fine with the E30 pulse wheels, they are both 48 tooth, and it's been done before. the tough part will be finding a sensor that fits correctly. I've tried 3 sensors and they are all either too long or too short.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
                    Nice!

I am just starting work on an '84 316.. Still a little curious about the history as well, since they were purely gray market. But long story short, this was owned by Freeman motors for a short while and they started the conversion to race car. We are finishing it.
                    You might be able to get into contact with them, or previous companies that worked with them, and get some information. that would be sweet!

Originally posted by nando View Post
                    for the DME or the instrument cluster?

the E90 speedometer is run with a CAN signal.. it doesn't read it straight from the ABS computer like the earlier cars did. I'm also pretty sure that signal needs to be processed, they are active sensors rather than passive ones. If it works for you then great.

also, I think the MK60 sensors should work fine with the E30 pulse wheels, they are both 48 tooth, and it's been done before. the tough part will be finding a sensor that fits correctly. I've tried 3 sensors and they are all either too long or too short.
                    This depends on which model you have, on some the abs sensor reads from the top down at a sprocket type tone gear, and others utilize what we see transferable onto E30. Through some relatively easy research (335i outside) The system is the same and even the sensors are the same, just the placement is different. That being said ill just make some custom sleeves that will bring the Hall sensor into spec, it isnt length that concerns me, its the gap between the tone gear as you know.

Simply put, bore out the stock abs sensor hole, Make a sleeve with the proper offset for the abs sensor, done deal just need a lathe, and drill press. lol

Nando, thank you for reiterating what has previously been covered, I'm well aware the system doesn't read straight from the abs computer, this isn't the old days, which is fine by us I'm sure. As stated before, and pictured previously, nearly every single module, 39 different modules utilize the CANBUS system.

The CAN you're referring to is the PT_can which is also the BUS line for many other modules dme,ekp,accII,Ldm,dsc and more. BUS lines in certain scenarios run continuous from Module to module. So although the vehicles do not directly take information from the abs system; how CANBUS works it is transferring information from module to module using corresponding BUS lines. In this case the question to ask back to you would be, which can signal? and from which modules does that signal spread to? Of course those answers are easy.

Comment

Did you start stripping the paint off the body yet? If you haven't would you be interested in swapping the front fenders/hood in bronzit for replacement parts of another color (or heck I'll buy you new fenders to swap out.)

I am just trying to avoid having to repaint the Super Eta I just picked up - it's got a touch of damage in the drivers corner and needs a replacement fender and hood.
                      1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                      2016 Ford Flex
                      2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
                        Did you start stripping the paint off the body yet? If you haven't would you be interested in swapping the front fenders/hood in bronzit for replacement parts of another color (or heck I'll buy you new fenders to swap out.)

I am just trying to avoid having to repaint the Super Eta I just picked up - it's got a touch of damage in the drivers corner and needs a replacement fender and hood.
                        Happens to be our luck, Both of our cars took a hit on the driver side.
                        Whoever did the damage to this car it was very small,
                        the hood barely bent in, and he attempted to fix the driver side fender.

May as well throw an update in here since a lot has happened, and I'd like to think some steady updates might just start to flow.

Finally had my car moved to its new location, This garage is where the swap will take place;
                        It's somewhat a new move in, so I've yet to clear some additional space.
                        You can see the slight damage to the driver side fender there.

Block, and G260 came out without a problem, the transmission is for sale currently.
                        More parts are trickling in, but it shouldn't be too long till we float the engine in the bay, but up next is suspension work;
                        dropping the stock subframes and putting in the upgraded subframes, Ground control suspension, and BBK.

I'm pretty dang confident Arc Asylums S54 subframe is going to save me a lot of mercy, and be compatible with N54 swaps in the future.
                        We will have to see, but it looks like like we should be able to avoid any oil pan modifications.
                        The front guard is an awesome feature, and should look awesome when connected with another sump guard!

Comment

Finally a step forward here, I removed both subframes from the 323, they came down very easily.
                          Tomorrow I plan to take out the Fuel tank. After that I can start checking out what I need to do in order to mount the 335i gas tank.
                          Happy I went with this unit, corrosion resistant, rust resistant, plastic, light, and of course PNP to the 335i body harness.

Also grabbed this gs6-53bz in the seattle area, The diesel truck guys love these transmissions, The unit even looks beefy.

Comment

Little late, but fellow 323i owner checking in and subbing. 10/82 coupe, same color, same interior. Import shows 1987 to Portland, which I do believe.

Comment

Good to see this is still happening!

Farbin,

N52 swap. keep it light. :p
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
                                Little late, but fellow 323i owner checking in and subbing. 10/82 coupe, same color, same interior. Import shows 1987 to Portland, which I do believe.
                                HA! Right arm! Does it happen to be a 4 door as well?
                                That's cool that it was a NW import, where did it come from originally?

So far to my greatest efforts I can find information up to 2002 in eugene, Oregon. It was imported by Ferrari Compliance in Cali, so I've yet to track the rest of its history.

Originally posted by nando View Post
                                Good to see this is still happening!

Farbin,

N52 swap. keep it light.
                                Of Course this build is still going nando, where's your n52 swap thread, that way I can come over and harass you for a change! LOL!

Comment

Working...
                                X