Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curtdogge30 View Post
    I WILL BE LIVING BY THIS THREAD
    This is exactly what I've been looking for! Awesome job man! Did your welder weld the intake ports on the inside of the runners?
    And you have measurements off hand of the plenum by chance?:)
    The holes for the runners in the plenum were about 1/8" bigger than the inside diameter of the runners so he could do a nice fillet around the whole thing. The welds on the outside were just for added strength.

I don't have the measurementsof the plenum off-hand, but I could measure it and report back. Gimme a day and I'll do it.

Thanks for the compliments fellas.
    Originally posted by Andy.B
    Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
    1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    I was born on 3/25…
    ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

sub waffleswaffleswaffles scibed.

That SC looks so good on the m20 its crazy.

BLUE NOSE - M62 SWAP

THE E30 + 1 BUILD

Comment

Thanks mang.
        Here's a picture of me at the Southeast Brodeo last weekend doing my signature facial expression.

If you'd go to 129photos.com , you can help me win a poster of this pic for the ceiling in my bedroom. Thanks for your help!

Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
        ~~~~~~~~~~
        I was born on 3/25…
        ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Ether-D View Post
          Thanks mang.
          Here's a picture of me at the Southeast Brodeo last weekend doing my signature facial expression.

If you'd go to 129photos.com , you can help me win a poster of this pic for the ceiling in my bedroom. Thanks for your help!

Only a real man has the cajones to hang a poster of himself on his ceiling!!!

Heading to website now!

Comment

So happy to see this! Congrats brother!
            sigpic
            Streetable poly mounts, trans mounts are here!
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...ght=streetable
            '94 318i
            '07 335i
            '11 X5
            '89 325ic m30b35

Comment

ever take any measurements of your plenum?:)
              sigpicRock it til the wheels fall off

Comment

Originally posted by curtdogge30 View Post
                ever take any measurements of your plenum?:)
                I happen to be a complete slacker. I haven't yet. I will though, I promise. A
                ~~~~~~~~~~
                I was born on 3/25…
                ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Hi there lad! Any updates on this project?
                  Thank you very much for this write-up. After reading many threads about delusional people dreaming about marketing a SC kit for the M20 and going trough a few hack jobs, I finally found your thread. I registered on this forum just to follow this and be able to discuss it with you.

I had the same idea as you. Get an M90 for dirt cheap (what can I say, I'm a sucker for the SC whine) and build a low cost system. The only difference is that I got one from a Pontiac Grand-Prix and it already has a bypass valve built in.

At first, I thought about installing it in place of the A/C compressor, since it's dead anyways, but I figured that since a root type doesn't really compress air as much as it moves it at a higher rate of speed than the engine can use it, having to fill all that piping and a FMIC might not be the most efficient way to use this type of compressor.

I then thought about moving the alternator to the A/C compressor location, convert to electric power steering (either by using an MR2 or Honda electric pump or a Z4 electric column) and mounting it there, blowing trough an air/water cooler, but what I really wanted is an integrated manifold like the OEM's use.

I really like the way you did you system, as it's very clean looking and uncluttered and it could be made to look factory with very minimal work.

So, here comes the mandatory question.

1- Since I know turbos but know almost nothing about SC, I'm still researching this but, maybe you would know the answer. Do you think an water cooler could be integrated inside your plenum with the air blowing straight trough the core, into the runners or would I have to make the box bigger to have a void between the core and the runners?

2- I read trough the whole thread and, don't know if it's because it was late, I'm blind or it really isn't mentioned, but what do you use as an air metering device? I can't see the factory AFM n'or a MAF conversion. Do you even run the Motronic 1.3 or a MS?? MAP??

Keep up the good work me lad and keep us posted, it's all very interesting

Regards from Canada

Alex
                  Last edited by Alex Longpré; 02-19-2016, 10:05 AM.

Comment

I'm sorry I missed your post man. Thanks for your kind words. It's got a Whodwho ms2 in there. I actually made the plenum large enough to have a decent gap between the internal heat exchanger and the runners. I just ran out of steam on the intercooler part of the project. The m90 is in dire need of a rebuild so this car is in a holding pattern until I do it.
                    ~~~~~~~~~~
                    I was born on 3/25…
                    ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Curious if you have done any track testing on this setup. Like running a full track session. Mostly wondering about heat soak and if there is any drop off in performance as the intake temps climb.
                      1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                      2016 Ford Flex
                      2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

I have not tracked it. It's back on the road but the only beating it's seen is running the dragon. That's only 13 minutes of thrashing. It hadn't lost out on any power at the end though.
                        ~~~~~~~~~~
                        I was born on 3/25…
                        ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Good to know. My thought is for enduro racing, so the heat generation over several hours is concerning. But I have to investigate if there is a way to cool the air charge.

I've ran centrifugal supercharger's before and successful used air to liquid intercooler's, but not sure if this can be done on a roots style.
                          1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                          2016 Ford Flex
                          2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

just read all 56 pages of both threads, good stuff bruh! m30 with m90 in the works, trying to figure out if I should go water air, or air air intercooler. Thanks for blazing the path!
                            Jah bless! :pimp:

Comment

Thanks guy. I have had a back-burner supercharged m30 project stalled in my shop for a couple years now myself. Keep us posted on your progress.
                              ~~~~~~~~~~
                              I was born on 3/25…
                              ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I'm thinking of starting to get back on the turbo side of this thing. Does anyone have any advice as to which specific turbos will run large amounts of air, efficiently, at low boost? Like Varg said?

It's just that every time I look in my engine bay, the passenger side just looks so empty. And all I can do is imagine how nice it would look if there was something filling some of that space.
                                ~~~~~~~~~~
                                I was born on 3/25…
                                ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                                X