No announcement yet.

Porsche smorche - I have a car habbit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could there be any major danger from just dipping a wired up e30 fuel pump into a gas can under the car and pumping from there? I mean, that's pretty much how an e30 is done, but cept for the gas can is a gas tank. Anywho, if I never post again, you'll know what happened…
    Originally posted by Andy.B
    Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
    1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    I was born on 3/25…
    ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Or should I just splash some gas in the intake and then try?
      Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
      ~~~~~~~~~~
      I was born on 3/25…
      ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Ether-D View Post
        Or should I just splash some gas in the intake and then try?
        So I did that. It popped a few times and then quit. I'm so happy with that for now. Because I know it's getting the right signals to make it spark, and it's telling the fuel pump to turn on so there's that. I guess I'm gonna order the pump and then see what happens.
        ~~~~~~~~~~
        I was born on 3/25…
        ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I rigged up a walbro pump from Agent's old setup to the 944. Got fuel, spark, and crank, but no fire. The rotor is pointing where it should be pointing, and the firing order and wire placement is correct. New plugs. When I pull out a plug after trying for a minute, it smells gassy. Weak coil?
          ~~~~~~~~~~
          I was born on 3/25…
          ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Well, I did the obvious thing and bought some ether. Gave it a two-second shot and away she went. Purrrrrrred like a kitty for 3 seconds. Problem is, it didn't build any oil pressure. I hear that they do this, but usually build pressure quick after first start but I'm skeered. Any words of encouragement?
            ~~~~~~~~~~
            I was born on 3/25…
            ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I have oil pressure now. The o-ring on the oil pressure relief valve (or actually the lack of an o-ring) was why it couldn't build pressure. I have my new walbro pump in-hand and a new fuel filter. Things are happening again. Suck it, nerds.
              ~~~~~~~~~~
              I was born on 3/25…
              ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Love your ingenuity brother!!

Comment

Get it goin! awesome driving position in a chassis loves fast sweepers. I had a clean 1977 924 as my DD for a few years, and it was a joy!

87 4dr specE30: Bitsy (lurking above), 89 4dr 325i blau, 91 318is brillrot, 90 325ivertbronzit

Comment

Originally posted by Ether-D View Post
                    Suck it, nerds.
                    Good job, Lemon.

Comment

Originally posted by doorman View Post
                      Love your ingenuity brother!!
                      Thanks!

Originally posted by GillesBigCowboy View Post
                      Get it goin! awesome driving position in a chassis loves fast sweepers. I had a clean 1977 924 as my DD for a few years, and it was a joy!
                      I'm probably just gonna sell it when it's done. Maybe I'll wait until spring…

Originally posted by Andy.B View Post
                      Good job, Lemon.
                      My advice to you, live every week like it was shark week.
                      ~~~~~~~~~~
                      I was born on 3/25…
                      ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

So when I start it up, it runs on 2 cylinders. No big deal, I can figure that out. But there's the whole 10bar oil pressure that I'm not used to. And the front main seal hemorrhaging oil at about a pint per minute. I'm pretty sure neither of those things are right. Do any of you guys have any ideas that I can immediately shoot down?
                        ~~~~~~~~~~
                        I was born on 3/25…
                        ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I'm motivated again and out there playing with the 944. Here's what I know:
                          If I have the plugs out and I'm cranking it with the starter with the oil filter and OPRV in place, the oil pressure quickly rises to 8+bar on my gauge. This can't be right. I trust the gauge because of the front main gushing oil.

If I remove the oil pressure relief valve (OPRV) and leave the oil filter in place and crank it, I get 0 bar (to be expected).

If I leave the OPRV and remove the oil filter, I get 0 bar (to be expected), but plenty of oil comes out of the filter housing.

My blockage is in the filter or beyond the filter I suspect.

It seems very unlikely to be in the filter, but where beyond the filter would/could it be blocked? I'm losing my love for this damn thing…
                          ~~~~~~~~~~
                          I was born on 3/25…
                          ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Any progress on this thing? I want to see you succeed in bringing this thing back to life.

I've always liked porsche 944's. The closest I've come to porsche ownership is the type 4 engine used in vw buses from 72-79, which also found it's home in 914's. I rebuilt one for my bus a few years ago, and it was frustrating paying porsche prices for aircooled VW power. 3k+ to get less than 70hp. Not a great investment on my part.

But that's neither here nor there.

Comment

Any progress on this thing? I want to see you succeed in bringing this thing back to life.

I've always liked porsche 944's. The closest I've come to porsche ownership is the type 4 engine used in vw buses from 72-79, which also found it's home in 914's. I rebuilt one for my bus a few years ago, and it was frustrating paying porsche prices for aircooled VW power. 3k+ to get less than 70hp. Not a great investment on my part.

But that's neither here nor there.

Comment

It has offended me with it's puking oil after I painted it's engine parts and regasketed it and loved it so gingerly. Now I'm giving it the cold shoulder. So far it hasn't accomplished anything. I'll go back to it when I have mustered the energy to rip it back down to the front main seal. I just don't wanna right now.

I kinda need to slap some parts on the vert before Brodeo anyway. And that car always pays dividends when I caress it properly. So on to some satisfaction from a loyal lover. Then back to this horny crazy bitch named Porsche.
                                ~~~~~~~~~~
                                I was born on 3/25…
                                ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                                X