Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e30 Sedan Weekend/Track car

Hello all!
    I wanted to document/ show the progress and build of my new car. Im coming from a 95 miata rpkg that I had started building to take to the track but unfortunitely, no matter how much I did to the suspension, or for safety, the shell was a mess. It had a ton of rust, and a massive dent. It was honestly daunting to think about what it would take to get the shell in a condition that I felt would come close to passing tech at a track day. On top of that, as much as i loved the feel of driving such a small car with insanely direct steerign imput, it had its trade offs. Long story short, an oppertunity came up to snag an E30 sedan that was a former track car that had been sitting in a garage, mostly un touched for the last couple years. It had a straight body, with the exception of a few bumps and bruises and some faded paint. Spec e30 suspension, bolt in rear hoop and a few other odds and ends. The sun roof was taken out, the HVAC is completely gutted, sound detening is gone, so I would imagine the car is fairly light. The m20 is stock with the exception of a full exhaust and it has an earlier version of megasquirt that is sort of tuned. This is the only drawback to the car right now. I have no experience with MS and am torn between trying to do what it takes to get it tuned (may need a new wideband) or trying to convert back to the stock ECU so that I can have a fun car that starts and feels the same every day.
    As the car sits now, I threw what I kept from my miata on whch are the fdd motorsport wheels and my Nardi. Im waiting on getting some side mounts from massive and then I will mount my Recaro SPG that I have as well. Future plans will include trying to tighten some stuff up suspension wise. I wante get a condor kit and do the motor and trans mounts as well as a few interior bits and what not. I am Thrilled with the car so far and to be honest stoked to finally have one of these things. It has everything that my miata was lacking.

My miata

Off to FLorida!

The day I got it. The paint was faded as hell and not exactly loving the wheels.

With the wheels on. By the way, the size details are as follows. 15x8 + 20 2mm spacer up front to clear UUC BBK and 205 50 15 star specs

Finally, after spending a day on the paint, it started to look a lot closer to how I had wanted.

I am going to post more pics when I get them and am looking forward to documenting the progress on here. Feel free to ask any questions you may have!

what wheels are those?

Comment

Originally posted by oprahhwinfreyy View Post
      what wheels are those?
      They are FFD motorsports wheels. 15x8 +20

Comment

Sweet E30 !
        What are your future plans for it ?
        1990 Alpine 325is
        1992 Schwarz 325ic (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by BECKSTER View Post
          Sweet E30 !
          What are your future plans for it ?
          Thank you! Time will tell as far as how nuts I go with engine and suspension plans. More immediate plans consist of getting it to work well from an engine management stand point. I really want to dial the tune in as best as I can. Then a few interior bits, like getting my Recaro SPG mounted and then a full condor bushing kit with the motor and trans mounts. If I can do those three things and get a helmet and get on the track by spring, I will be a very happy man.

Comment

So, it's been a while since I have updated this thread but honestly that's is not a ton to update. I have ordered all of the parts I wanted to Re do the front suspension/ steering with the expectation that I will do the rear at some point after. So far, I haven't put any of it on but waiting to go on are as follows:

E36 rack
            New control arms
            Condor lolypop bushings
            Tie rods/ ends
            Delrin steering Guibo

All that I have really done at this point was interior stuff. I ordered some mounts from Lee so that I can put my SPG in. I forgot how much of a difference having a bucket seat makes in the driving experience. Outside of that, I put in a new steering wheel, pedals and dead pedal from OMP.

Finally, I got something that I have wanted for a long time... An AKG short shifter.
            It was worth the wait and money. It exceeded my expectation in how it was made/ enjoyment that I gained from having it In the car.
            It totally ads to the experience of driving the car.

I'm in the process of painting the wheels and hopefully the front suspension stuff soon but other than that I am just glad to be driving and enjoying the crap out of this car.
            Last edited by Joeyz31; 07-10-2016, 06:24 PM.

Comment

I'm super jealous of that shifter...

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
              Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
                I'm super jealous of that shifter...
                My reply is long over due here but saw that you got something similar. Solid mounted shifters make driving these cars a blast. Your car is awesome BTW. I love seeing other sedan build threads.

So it has been quite a while since I have updated this thread. Mostly because not a whole lot has changed. I have honestly just been enjoying having a car that is so much fun and feels so solid.

I have tried to focus on small improvements while not spending a bunch of money. I eventually want to go a bit bit nuty but for now, the minimal adjustments that I have made to the car, since buying it, have transformed the experience.

Since last summer I have done the following:

A few interior odds and ends

Replaced control arms/tie rods and tie rod ends
                New steering joint with a delrin knuckle bushing
                E36 M3 steering rack
                New Stock strut mounts
                New wheels with beat up R-888s (need to replace)
                Finally got the car to VAC motorsports to get a much needed alignment

The steering feel, after getting the new rack, steering joint and what not has transformed the feel of the car. I actually did the rack after everything else so I was able to see how the car felt in stages. Replacing all of the worn parts made a big difference but the rack has transformed the car, in my option. It's a pain in the butt but I highly recommend it.

I did not take any pics of the install or the front end parts (which are rather boring looking) so here are a couple shots of the interior and the wheel that i got to replace my OMP.

The wheels were a bit of a pain in the rear but knew I had to figure out a way to get them to work.
                They are 15x8 +10 and 205 50 15s (though r-888s run wide)
                As they were, I expected them to site well on the car and only need a slight roll or pull.

Of course, it was not that easy. I have wilwoods on the front and ended up having to run a 15mm spacer to clear the calipers up front so it was a bit more work.

It sits well in the back (rubs a bit under hard cornering) and pokes a bit in the front.

The front will be perfect with -3 or so degrees of camber, when I eventually get camber plates.

I hope to drive it a bunch more in the summer and will hopefully have more updates soon.
                Last edited by Joeyz31; 05-23-2019, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Glad to see you still have it and are working on it.
                  The R888's surprised me a bit as well - I test fitted worn KDW's in 225/45/16 and it cleared great, so I bought R888's in the same size. Slapped them on and had problems everywhere haha, but that's all mended now.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
                    Glad to see you still have it and are working on it.
                    The R888's surprised me a bit as well - I test fitted worn KDW's in 225/45/16 and it cleared great, so I bought R888's in the same size. Slapped them on and had problems everywhere haha, but that's all mended now.
                    Thanks man and yeah, I couldn't believe how much wider they are. I will try and find the pic and post it but someone on the miata forum had posted a pic of a 205 r-888 and a 225 NT01 and they were basically the same width.

Comment

Man, it’s been a while!
                      Well, I guess not a lot has really changed with the car but I did get some new suspension bits.
                      Also, I guess the old image hosting site went out so I will have to update pictures.

Until I get a garage, this thing will only see pretty basic updates.

Basically, I have been trying to make it more enjoyable to drive and trying to fix/improve little issues along the way.

One thing that has always frustrated me, is this low RPM misfire/bucking. I have always attributed it to being a poor tune on the MegaSquirt so I went out and got a new wideband controller and started tuning and it tunes right around my issue.
                      So no fix.
                      I believe I have it narrowed down to it being the harmonic balancer not being “balanced”
                      It is pretty wobbly and straightens out as the RPMs go up, which would explain why it’s only down low. The issue is, I put a new one on and it’s the same shit.

I’m assuming it’s an issue with my woodruff key then? Maybe the gear is crooked a bit? For now, it’s going to have to do and then I’ll try and address that soon.

Eventually, I would like to just 24 valve swap this thing or build an m20.

Here is what I have added for this summer, suspension wise:
                      Some tree house style front CABs from Condor
                      GC coilovers with shortened housings and Konis

Went back to stock end links, which ended up being life changing.
                      When I put the coilovers on, I assumed that all of my front end noise was the race camber plates. I was like “shit, this is going to be annoying” but turns out, it’s just warn spherical end links are annoying as hell. I Put some stock ones on and it sounds like a solid German car again.
                      They sit at a shitty angle so eventually I want to weld on tabs and do m3 links but these will do for now.

I have a big drive coming up down in VA this weekend with a buddy so took the car to VAC Motorsport to get aligned. Always fun bringing this thing into the city.

That’s pretty much it for now. Hopefully I will have some cool stuff soon and thanks for reading.

*ps I apologize for shitty typos/formatting, as I’m doing this from my phone.

Last edited by Joeyz31; 05-23-2019, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Are you parked outside of “sweet Dee’s” apartment?!

It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia! Baby!!

CAPP :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Cptcarisma View Post
                          Are you parked outside of “sweet Dee’s” apartment?!

It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia! Baby!!

CAPP :-)

Haha pretty much! Man, that is a great show...

Also- Wanted to provide some feedback on the GCs, over my older Spec E30 set up (H&Rs and Bilstiens)

I put 500 miles on them this weekend, down in Western VA @ Shenandoah National park and i have to say, they are pretty impressive.

Obviously, I expected less body roll, as the rates are quite a bit stiffer but the car is just so much more compliant and the biggest difference is how much less bouncy it is. Whether it is over dips, or expansion bridges, the car just feels SOLID but not harsh. Its really great and have never been so happy with how my car's suspension has felt.

Highly recommend the setup, if anyone is on the fence.

Comment

* partial update will finish later and also... not sure why the image quality is so bad but looking into it too! I have not posted in forever on here but figured I would do my best to keep the thread updated. The car is still around and kicking and in many ways better than ever. I finally moved out of the city and now have a garage so it’s allows me to really spend the time needed on doing larger projects with the car and take my time with certain things. For as long as I can remember, I have wanted to get into track days. Auto cross and Karting would always be such a tease and just being a spectator at an HPDE day at NJMP would bring so much excitement that I knew I had to do it at some point. Finally, that some point actually happened and will hopefully be a regular occurrence going forward. The previous owner of this car was doing regular track days in this thing but have changed a TON since then and wanted to make sure it was as sorted as possible and ultimately make it “mine.” This included cosmetic changes, reliability enhancements, creature comforts added back in and suspension enhancements. To catch everyone up, here are the major changes that I have done recently and over the previous 5 years. Motor: The car previously had an early version of MS that was super wonky and frankly, more finicky than I cared to deal with. One day, I said “Eff it” and ripped it out and converted back to motronic. This was the best thing I could have done. The motor is stock internally, 19lb injectors, Chip to compensate for the injectors and a full exhaust (headers to 2.5 single all the way back) and it rips. The car has literally nothing in it so I would imagine most of that feeling is due to it being fairly light. suspension/steering: your standard stuff here: condor bushings all around and GC coilovers. E36 m3 rack (de powered) 205 r888rs I love this set up... I came from a very modified Miata and when I first bought the e30 it had sloppy suspension and a factory rack. i remember thinking to myself “did I make a mistake? This thing is like driving a truck” Since doing what I have done, it’s as good as the Miata and even better. I am going to finish updating shortly as there’s a ton more to update on and a handful of pictures but here are a few recent shots of the car, as I prep for a track weekend in May. Click image for larger version  Name:	e30-21-1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	91.5 KB ID:	9983910 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_159914.jpg Views:	6 Size:	63.3 KB ID:	9983885 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_159910.jpg Views:	7 Size:	71.7 KB ID:	9983840
                            Last edited by Joeyz31; 05-07-2021, 06:55 AM.

Comment

An update!! So after a long winter of trying to get e car sorted, I had my first “real” track day/weekend. Previously, I had only done a TNIA at Lime Rock, which was 3 20 minute sessions. Enough to hook me in for good but not enough to really start to get conformable. This time, my buddy and I made the 250 or so mile trek up to New York Safety Track for a 2 day event with Mass Tuning. We woke up to snow on Saturday and needless to say, the first few sessions were “interesting” I don’t think I have ever even started the car in sub 40 degree weather, let alone push it. Thank goodness I put that race heater in in the fall. Having no heat at all would have been brutal. Overall, the car was amazing. Hard to ask more from it. I did have a few issues and a handful of things I have to address after 750 miles and 2 full track days. I went with a new wheel set up specifically for the track and 205 RT660s and they were awesome. Lived up to the hype... One of my brand new rear Konis from GC exploded for some reason... weird. My oil temps were quite high (compared to what I’m used to) saw 230 a few times and on the way home a sustained 220-225 on the highway (measured from the sandwich plate by washer bottle mount) Historically I had run 15-50 M1 synthetic and just switched to conventional 20/50 VR1. Per some Spec E30 threads I read through, I deleted my stock oil cooler (simplicity) but am also running a skid plate so think that’s the main issue. Water temps never saw above 180 all day so engine is being cooled. I’m going to try the UUC skid plate that has cut outs to cool the oil pan and hope that just the air flow to the pan helps and then go back to an oil cooler if need be. Finally, I have a massive oil pan gasket leak from the previous owner installing a crank scraper. I’m going to finally fix that and also install an IE oil pan baffle to be on the safe side. I am dreading and have been dreading doing this haha. Outside of pulling the motor/trans, it’s the last job that I have been dreading/putting off but needs to be done. Aside from that, the car was really awesome. I cannot wait to get back to the track and could not be more stoked on how this car has been. Here are a few other shots from the weekend/prep of the car
                              Last edited by Joeyz31; 05-05-2021, 06:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X