Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jordan View Post
    The entire car needs to be sanded with 1500, 2000, 2500, 3000, and 5000
    5000 grit? What????? 1500 or even 2000 is fine enough before a polish. Then polishing compound would do the rest of the work. I've never even seen 5000 grit sand paper- but I'm no body work expert. I'd assume you'd only use 5000 grit if your clear coat was thin, and wanted to save it. no?

Also, that box is awesome looking, but I'm surprised you didn't make your own to match the woofer.

This thread reminds me of your first e30 build! That was amazing as well - maybe there is a link to that?
    Last edited by george graves; 04-07-2016, 03:24 AM.
    Originally posted by Matt-B
    hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

I believe my painter took mine way up there aswell

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
      1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
      Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
      Mtech 2 turbo restoration
      Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

3000 and 5000 aren't actually paper, they use 3M Trizact pads. Its an microfine abrasive coated foam pad. 3000 is pretty normal, 5000 is just one more step. You have to understand this E30 is a pretty mundane project for Imperial. They cater to high end clientele and constantly have Ferrari, Lamborghini, and various other exotics in for repairs and this sort of work is expected on those vehicles.

Subwoofer box wise GAS makes a far better box than I can make, and for a lot less than I can make it. I don't have appropriate wood working tools for starters, and the time I'd have to invest to try to replicate their product would far and exceed what they charge.
        Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

Vapor Honing & E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
        https://mtechniqueabs.com/

Comment

You could read a book off the reflection of the paint. Looks great.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

3000 and 5000 aren't actually paper, they use 3M Trizact pads. Its an microfine abrasive coated foam pad.
            Ah! Got it. Learned something new today. So it's a polishing pad impregnated with polish. It's not really 5000 grit sand paper - that would be as abrasive as a fether! So hence the confusion.

I don't have appropriate wood working tools for starters
            Fair enough, wood working tools do take up room. But a table saw is all you really need to be honest. In a pinch a circular saw works just as well with some care. Not that this is a budget build, so yea...I get it. But matching he woofer to the box apparently is a lost art.

If you want a USB port to top off that new dash, I'll have some for sale soon. Just let me know.
            Last edited by george graves; 04-09-2016, 03:34 AM.
            Originally posted by Matt-B
            hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post

Fair enough, wood working tools do take up room. But a table saw is all you really need to be honest. In a pinch a circular saw works just as well with some care. Not that this is a budget build, so yea...I get it.

If you want a USB port to top off that new dash, I'll have some for sale soon. Just let me know.

And a skil saw unless you plan on cutting the woofer hole with a laser lol.
              Ive been pondering making my own box. I got the tools.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
                And a skil saw unless you plan on cutting the woofer hole with a laser lol.
                Ive been pondering making my own box. I got the tools.
                ***jig saw

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
                Current Cars:
                2016 PORSCHE GT3 RS
                2017 FERRARI 488GTB
                2018 RAPTOR CREW CAB
                1991 318is SLICKTOP H&R SPRING SEMA CAR
                1991 318IS SLICKTOP STERLING SILVER
                1990 325ic BRONZIT/AUTO :)
                1989 E30 M3 (SOLD AWAITING SHIPPING)

On Order:
                2018 DODGE DEMON

Searching for:
                CLEAN E30'S
                S54 DRIVETRAIN
                E30 DASH
                E30 PARTS

Comment

Originally posted by 0-60 freak View Post
                  ***jig saw

I always call it skil saw cause thats the brand i got but yea jig saw

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

***jig saw

*Router

There is no way you could match the level of quality in a GAS box with a circular saw. Most would struggle to with a table saw. Their stuff really is top notch.

And matching the box t the sub is a lost art because it just isn't necessary. It doesn't make nearly as much of a difference as mythology says.

Comment

Indeed. Luke does use a router to cut the woofer and port holes, and its nothing short of flawless. The only way you could exceed his quality standards in manufacturing would be to CNC machine the boxes.

It is with great pleasure this evening I get to report the first test drive has been made, and went off without any drama. The brakes were initially pretty lousy as the silver coating had to wear off the rotors, but with a few stops they got progressively better. Brake power assist is a little weaker than I'd hoped with the Porsche 944 booster, but it is entirely usable.

I put 1.3 miles on the car, essentially running up the main thoroughfare through my neighborhood and back to the house. I managed to get a 1st/2nd WOT hit in after some normal driving. The M54b30 is really excellent in the e30 chassis. Quiet, silky smooth, completely effortless acceleration. Torque delivery is very nice.

Comment

Sunday was one day closer to perfection and completion. A number of bugs found and sorted through following another rewarding test drive. Shes got 8 whole miles on her now!

Car is very dusty, but I wanted to take an opportunity to snap a few shots for the first time outside of the garage or driveway. A true milestone in the build.

I noted on the first test drive that the power windows did not work, which I traced back to the K5/K7 unloader relays not being grounded. I found I needed to run a wire from the X6011 connector Pin5 to C101 Pin 15. Instant window fix.

I also noted the power mirrors didn't work, which was an easier fix, the C405 at the door jam didn't seem to be fully seated and it clicked with a hard push. Mirrors working now.

The fuel pump I'd noted awhile ago to be making a bunch of noise, not death noise, just cheap aftermarket pump noise. I pulled it out of the tank and it appeared to be some "Made in USA, CARTER" pump. Never heard of Carter before, but its cheap noisy crap anyway. I pulled it off the hanger and deposited it in the trash. I had a used VDO E36 M3 fuel pump on hand and swapped that into the hanger, drops right in and is whisper quiet.

I also fine tuned the alignment a little more with a tape measure, its set up for about 1/8" of total toe in now. Steering feels really really great with the E46 712 rack.

Comment

paging george graves..

those seats sorted themselves right out. they look perfect now.
                          love the french stitch with the coupe pattern.
                          I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
                          DB vert plastic bumpers
                          OEM Keys
                          MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                          91 ic Calypso 3.1
                          86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
                          TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
                          e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

I got my $100's ready ....hehe ...will you be offering a warranty on this car?

Current Cars:
                            2016 PORSCHE GT3 RS
                            2017 FERRARI 488GTB
                            2018 RAPTOR CREW CAB
                            1991 318is SLICKTOP H&R SPRING SEMA CAR
                            1991 318IS SLICKTOP STERLING SILVER
                            1990 325ic BRONZIT/AUTO :)
                            1989 E30 M3 (SOLD AWAITING SHIPPING)

On Order:
                            2018 DODGE DEMON

Searching for:
                            CLEAN E30'S
                            S54 DRIVETRAIN
                            E30 DASH
                            E30 PARTS

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
                              paging george graves..

those seats sorted themselves right out. they look perfect now.
                              love the french stitch with the coupe pattern.
                              George has already seen it on Facebook, this update hit there yesterday afternoon ;-)

The seats have smoothed a good bit as the leather relaxes, and they will continue to do so with time.

Yes, it was a good decision on the seats. Piping is one of those things that really belongs left in the 80's.

I got my $100's ready ....hehe ...will you be offering a warranty on this car?
                              Get 'em counted and banded.

Yes, actually I intend to offer a limited warranty on the car for a serious local buyer along with a service contract. I'd also like to retain the right to correct or repair anything that comes up before anyone else is allowed to work on it.

I bought a seat heater fire damaged E39 last year, fixed it up and sold it on. I even stood behind that car with a warranty, supplying the new owner with odds and ends as needed for a few months. Only item of consequence being a failed MDK throttle body, shipped to him free of charge along with on the phone technical instruction on replacing and initializing it with the car.

I kind of wish I could have kept that E39, she was a beauty.

Comment

Well. Beautiful E30. Certainly one of the best out there.

A shame to sell it on, but I understand it was an investment all along. Hopefully the new owner will treat it the way it should be.
                                "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
                                -----------------------------------------
                                91 318is Turbo Sold
                                87 325 Daily driver Sold
                                06 4.8is X5
                                06 Mtec X3
                                05 4.4i X5 Sold
                                92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
                                90 325i Sold
                                97 328is Sold
                                01 323ci Sold
                                92 325i Sold
                                83 528e Totaled