No announcement yet.

Project Lessmeister: 91 318iS Restomod w/ MTech2 and modern drivetrain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really well done Jordan, it's refreshing to see people doing things thoroughly these days. Car looks great.

How low does that bend in the downpipe hang? Looks like it might be close on speedbumps and stuff
    - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Originally posted by MarkD View Post
      No updates for 5 days? What's new?
      What Mark is fishing for here I think is that last night we were able to flash a refined tune to the car remotely with his propriatary remote flashing utility. Virtualizing my laptop com port USB/OBD cable as a physical extention of his bench flashing workstation. Pretty slick, and the car is running even better now.

No updates all week because I've been dealing with a hellacious week. For those not aware Houston Sunday/Monday saw 9-15" of rain in a 12 hour period and the whole city is mess.

That and this past weekend my 11 year old step son wrecked my wifes car for her but trying to start it up to get the AC cooling without noting it was in gear. It started up and drove across the cul-de-sac where it smashed into the neighbors house. I was upstairs in bed trying to sleep off a migraine, which I've been getting a lot of lately. Did not help my headache.

Originally posted by parkerbink View Post
      Just stupendous!

Congratulations!
      Thank you!

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
      I'm surprised you didn't re-undercoat the bottom of the car, or at least clean it up with a little paint. The dirt does make all those brand new parts look a lot cleaner. lol
      Applying more undercoat over the top of the factory body schutz would only add weight. I did spray the wheel wells black for appearance sake but that is all.

I did a test cleaning on the spare tire well which you can see the beige body schutz looks great. The whole underbody is factory coated with cosmoline which is still liquid/goopy and floating a layer of dirt tacked to it.

I could clean it all off but without a lift that I can make a big mess of it wouldn't be practical. Best left alone to preserve the original patina there, which will only serve to protect the chassis/underbody from corrosion.

Originally posted by Jb325is View Post
      Really well done Jordan, it's refreshing to see people doing things thoroughly these days. Car looks great.

How low does that bend in the downpipe hang? Looks like it might be close on speedbumps and stuff
      Thank you, it drives as good as it looks :-)

The downpipe hangs no lower than the subframe/oil pan, should be just a bit higher up. Depending on how long I have the car I may rework this area regardless, we'll see.
      Last edited by Jordan; 04-22-2016, 10:53 AM.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
      https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

so when and where is it getting sold? I want to watch the show
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan View Post
          What Mark is fishing for here I think is that last night we were able to flash a refined tune to the car remotely with his propriatary remote flashing utility. Virtualizing my laptop com port USB/OBD cable as a physical extention of his bench flashing workstation. Pretty slick, and the car is running even better now.

No updates all week because I've been dealing with a hellacious week. For those not aware Houston Sunday/Monday saw 9-15" of rain in a 12 hour period and the whole city is mess.

That and this past weekend my 11 year old step son wrecked my wifes car for her but trying to start it up to get the AC cooling without noting it was in gear. It started up and drove across the cul-de-sac where it smashed into the neighbors house. I was upstairs in bed trying to sleep off a migraine, which I've been getting a lot of lately. Did not help my headache.
          hopefully, you didn't have any flooding issues where you are? my house in humble is high and dry but homes just a half mile away on Belleau wood got it good as well as the hamblin rd neighborhood.

holy crap with the kiddo! that really sux! let me know if you need anything.
          sigpic
          Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
          92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
          88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
          88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
          87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
          12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Seems your kid took lessons from trina :rofl: good thing nothing major happened hopefully all your things have stayed dry

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
            1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
            Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
            Mtech 2 turbo restoration
            Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

I couldn't help but notice that the rubber shielding is not there around the fuel filter. Just wanted to bring that to your attention if you may have overlooked it.
              Float like a cadillac sting like a Bimmer!:)

sigpic

Comment

Nice work
                Originally posted by Matt-B
                hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                  so when and where is it getting sold? I want to watch the show
                  Probably not anytime soon, a few months at the soonest? I don't know. Now that the car is running like a scalded dog and drives like a dream I'm really enjoying it.

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                  hopefully, you didn't have any flooding issues where you are? my house in humble is high and dry but homes just a half mile away on Belleau wood got it good as well as the hamblin rd neighborhood.

holy crap with the kiddo! that really sux! let me know if you need anything.
                  Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
                  Seems your kid took lessons from trina :rofl: good thing nothing major happened hopefully all your things have stayed dry
                  All in all the car faired pretty well. Some scrapes on the bumper cover but only enough to break the paint not to really dig into the plastic. That and the 2 broken bumper molding strips. I'll use touchup on the cover and replace the 2 plastic molding strips, call it a day.

but the neighbors garage on the other hand....

No problems with flooding by my house. The ditches adjacent the feeder road overflowed engulfing the feeder and blocking egress from my subdivision, but that receeded sufficiently to make my way through by early afternoon Monday.

Originally posted by Bimmer_man View Post
                  I couldn't help but notice that the rubber shielding is not there around the fuel filter. Just wanted to bring that to your attention if you may have overlooked it.
                  You're absolutely right there. That was an item I tried to order but it shows to be N/A by my VIN.

Have a look for yourself (link generated with my VIN)

I have the passenger side piece, but the drivers side I forgot to do anything with after hitting that question mark.

Originally posted by george graves View Post
                  Nice work
                  Thank you Georgeypoo.

Comment

Thats odd your vin doesn't have the cover. Maybe order one not using vin. Good thing you got insurance to cover damages to house although you may get a few questions when you go to file that claim.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                    1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                    Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                    Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                    Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

I had those parts on my old car that's the only reason I knew about them. Try a want ad on here. You may get lucky and get one in really nice shape. I know most of that car is new but it's better than it missing imo. Still a perfect car. I'm currently searching for a early model she'll to more er less do the same thing as what you did.

I'm also curious if you can post a bit of information about your e39. It looks and sounds like it would be a mean machine.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
                        Thats odd your vin doesn't have the cover. Maybe order one not using vin. Good thing you got insurance to cover damages to house although you may get a few questions when you go to file that claim.
                        Originally posted by Bimmer_man View Post
                        I had those parts on my old car that's the only reason I knew about them. Try a want ad on here. You may get lucky and get one in really nice shape. I know most of that car is new but it's better than it missing imo. Still a perfect car. I'm currently searching for a early model she'll to more er less do the same thing as what you did.

I'm also curious if you can post a bit of information about your e39. It looks and sounds like it would be a mean machine.
                        I looked them up under an early 325e that would have had the same fuel tank size, they showed there and are on order. ~25 for both brand new. Will have them mid next week.

The E39 started as a 525i/5MT and I swapped the eng/tra from a 42k mi E46 330i ZHP into it, creating what I called a 530i/6MT ZHP. After some time I wanted more power so I strapped a ESS Tuning Twinscrew kit to the engine, then machined a smaller pulley than they will sell and installed that as well.

Anytime I tip into the throttle I have an instant 10psi, rolling up to 12psi by redline. In colder weather I've seen as much as 14psi. With the low RPM instant boost the torque on tap is wonderful to get the big daily barge up to speed in a hurry.

Build thread for the E39 is here:
                        Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

Comment

Wow that's awesome man. I currently have a 98 528i 4 speed auto. I'm really happy with it. If the engine goes or the transmission gives up I was planning on getting a m54b30 and the 6 speed. Maybe if that time comes I can pick your brain some. Sounds like it's an amazing car.

sigpic

Comment

On a E39 anyway its the same physical parts to change, plus some minor wiring for the clutch switches for the cruise control and for the DME.

I just swapped my wifes touring pictured above from 4spd AT to 5MT. Not a big deal, only 3 or 4 wires to run. If and when the time comes let me know I have all the info and the wiring diagrams put aside.

Comment

Wow thanks a lot man. So far the car is running beautifully. If that changes I'll definitely let you know. Or if you can or have the time feel free to shoot me the diagrams and I can study them.

sigpic

Comment

Everyone has been asking for it, and I was able to put something together this morning. A short video showcasing the car inside, out.... and some driving segments. I'm really beyond pleased with how the car has turned out, how amazingly nice the car drives, really just everything about it.

Driving this car transports you back to the 80's, sans the sewing machine under the hood. A perfect marriage of Classic German Engineering and a more practical modern drive train while keeping it all in the family.

Make sure to kick it up to HD, the whole video is shot in 1080P.

Everyone has been asking for it, and I was able to put something together this morning. A short video showcasing the car inside, out.... and some driving seg...

Comment

Working...
                                X