Apollo's $500 325i Build.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apollo's $500 325i Build.

Before I dive into the build, I think I should give you guys a little background into my BMW obsession.

My first car was a mk6 gti that I got on a lease, and me being the 16yr gear head kid at the time, I went over the miles in a matter of months (8000 miles when I should have been at 3500, whoops). So in order to avoid paying a big amount the the dealership to buy more miles, I had a choice. Either stop driving as much as I was, or buy a project car and put as many miles on it as I wanted. I think we all know what I picked..I wanted something manual, rwd, classy, and somewhat fast.

'98 M3 seemed like the perfect pick to me. :) After buying the car and bringing it home from a forum member down in Florida (I lived Ohio at the time) I can honestly say I was the happiest damn kid. I had an M Car!!! I was still in high school and I had such an amazing car, safe to say that besides winters, I was driving this beast much more than I was my gti.

Flash forward two years, the gti leased is up and returned to the dealership, my M3 was coming along
    and I was starting my second year of school in Florida (about an hour away from where I bought the car from, funny how that works). At this point, I spent a good amount of spare time just browsing local CraigLists, the summer before I had flipped a E36 325is (auto, or i honestly would've kept it), came out with about a $1700 profit :).
    After that, I was searching for the same kinda thing, I was a college kid and making some money off fixing up BMWs and selling them seemed like a pretty awesome gig. Weeks later, after not finding a good candidate to fix up, I said screw it and switched the search from FL to my hometown back in OH. And that's when I found this..

'1990 325i', Okay I'm interested. 'Red, Sedan', good so far. '134k miles', not bad not bad. 'Crackfree dash, hardly any rust', I'm liking what I see..'Not running', not exactly a bad thing for what I'm looking for. 'Auto', . Of course the car's price is all the way at the bottom of the ad, probably gonna try and justify some high price for a non running car or somethi.... 'Price $500'. 3 hours later, with the help of my friends and my Dad, the car was in my driveway. According to my dad, it was the original owner's son selling the car, apparently she was tearing up as the car was getting towed off. She'd be happy to know it went to a good home :)

This is probably going to be one of my favorite projects (no way in hell I'm just going to flip is for cash). I'm planning on getting rid of the auto box ASAP. Most likely refresh/upgrade suspension, clean up the little rust it has, get a few cosmetic bits here and there, and then swap it. Want it to be a street beast that I can take to the track, figure a father, son track car build would be pretty awesome.

(Don't know how often this will be updated since I'm not in the same state of the car, but will get updates as soon as I can!)
    Last edited by ApolloNineSix; 09-28-2015, 07:29 PM. Reason: Fixing Images.

Nice first post, cant wait to see the results!
    Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Looks clean

Comment

Interior shots:

Comment

nice car! cant wait for the result..
          always love red e30s :D

Comment

Update! Car is running, the brakes were locked up and the starter was done. Was able to fix the brakes, and replace the starter(~$90). Also been cleaning up the paint a little bit, a good wash and wax will go a long way on a car that hasn't been properly washed in a while.

One corner cleaned up, compared to the rest of the hood.

Deciding on if I want to keep the door trim silver or black it out..

Comment

Nice pick up man! That thing was a steal
              sigpic
              '89 325i RoyalBlau Metallic - Kylie
              Follow me on IG! @its.christiannn

Comment

UPDATE:
                Flew back up to ohio for the weekend to see family and was able to check out the car in person for the first time.

Was so happy to finally see this thing in person, it also gave me more info into what I would need to replace.

The major rusts spots, thankfully they're on areas that won't be too hard to fix/replace.

Didn't want to waste anytime getting to fix a few things here and there. There was a huge hole in the exhaust (i liked the sound but the drone was too much at times haha), so we got it out and replaced it with a new oem spec one. ($100 i think).

Took the garage queen out for a spin too, man I forget how much I like this car sometimes.

Comment

Working...
                X