325i build from South Africa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

325i build from South Africa

Hi all, this is my very long build to resurrecting my baby that I smashed.

car was originally South Africa built 325i. No engine mods. Only mods made were lowered suspension on cheap knock off springs & new free flow exhaust system.

This car was as stock standard as they come. Only had a few mods on it.
    Then after a fabulous year of driving at 60-100km/h just so people can see me rolling in that beast, I smashed her in June (two months after my wedding). Yup….. Coming out of Clearwater Mall, I went nose first into a yellow bukkie.(blame it on the warn out tyres & Lord knows what else) :sadd: .

Now the planning begins. What do we do? Do we fix or do a transplant? Do we do a 2 door or a 4 door?
    We decided on a 2 door, till I got home on the same day & Wife tells me she’s pregnant (there goes all my dreams of looking cool in a fake 325is)

Then to decide on the colour. I was either gonna go to “Estoril Blue” like the new F30 3-series

or “MARAKESH Brown” like the new BMW X1. (not gonna say yet which one we went for).

Then continued to look for more parts as I wanted this baby to look as clean & as neat as it possibly can.
    Ended up buying a 318auto with no engine nor box. Friend sold it to me for a steal. Car had everything. From good body to pretty damn good interior. Only thing, cracked dash. but my 325 still has a damn good dash in it.

the idea was to take everything from the 318 car, strip it, clean it, refurbish what might need to be refurbished box it & wait my painter to finish up the paint & body work. What I want is for this new car to be as damn clean as possible.….

Comment

Bought a BAUR

Then I bought meself this. It was meant to be a long term project but would be my everyday drive while waiting on the new car.

It’s a 1989 318 Baur with an M30B30 Engine. Engine blew head gasket, but that’s not an issue coz now I’ve decided to take the engine from the 325 & transplant it into this baby for now since going M52B28 Multivalve on the new baby seems to be the smarter option. or perhaps fix this M30 later & BOOOOOOST it.

Comment

I played around with the idea of leaving the M30 Engine in the Baur & only doing the Head Gasket change on it. But after a 3 days & 25 minutes, I decided to use the M20B25 in the Baur. This will be kept quite standard with nothing fancy. So, my mech got down to the E.R & did the heart transplant. Removed trani & all things nice from my 325.

This is how I got her.

& Yes, that is a Golf-1 Radiator the previous owner had in there.

Engine out.

The M30.

Naked 325i (Donor)

I was gonna be using the M30 on the new build (which had to be pushed back till the Baur was done). My reasons for this are:
        1. M30 gives greater power over M20 when boosted.
        2. I don’t think I will be going M50 anymore. Budget forecast seems a little gloomy.
        3. Doing the swap became a lot cheaper.

The Baur now with the 325i Motor, Box & Freeflow.

Comment

awesome black jew! mazeltop!
          sigpic
          Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
          92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
          88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
          88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
          87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
          12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Things got kinda slowish. But great news is, the Almost dead Baur that I got & was now running
            The car still looked a bit like sh*t but quite an improvement from how it was.
            Engine & Box transplant, re-wired the car as previous owner had done an extremely poor cut & Join job.
            Mechanic fitted a new Steering rack, rack ends etc. Headlights & even fixed part of the roof.

This is how I got the car. Valence is skew, headlights don't line nor work etc nor does the 3.0L engine run. Car needed loads of work mechanically & cosmetics.

Interior needed major work. Starting with the horrible back cards that were cut to fit 6x9 Speakers.

Found me a 323 Chromie that I took its door cards & will be fitting those. They quite clean, just need colour touch ups.

Here's the old Roof when I got the car. Lord knows what happened to it.

Then Got this ... Clean ROOF... :whoohoo:

Refurbished SPEEDO (no, not the swim wear) that went into the BAUR. Seeing the one in the car was misbehaving. Temp gauge not working, Speed wasn't properly calibrated & petrol gauge always on empty.

Better wheel

Then this guy arrived.

Comment

Nice! I look forward to more updates!!
              Originally posted by LJ851
              kingston is the play by play announcer for this thread.
              ‘Tis by the grace of God that my cars run!

Originally posted by unloadedak
              #teamross
              Siobhan's Build Thread - UPDATED!

Comment

Looking forward to this, always loved Baurs and I hope to do a M30 someday. On a side note I'm looking for a South African Gas Gauge/ Cluster if you could help me out!!!!
                My Garage
                2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Working...
                X