Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Putting a euro e30 back on the road (Trying to be pic heavy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Putting a euro e30 back on the road (Trying to be pic heavy)

Hey guys this is not my first e30 but its definitely my first thread so I'll do my best to keep up on it. The story,

When I bought my first e30 at age 18 I was ecstatic. At that time I had already owned around 15 cars (All of them Japanese or American) and was considered a rotary head with 3 rx7's, But the lure of German engineering got the best of me and when I saw an 87' 325is for $1500 bucks on the list I had to snatch it up. I called up the owner and set up a time to go to his house and look at it, when I first got there I noticed that there was more than one e30 in his driveway and he said that he himself used to race e30's in his day. In the very back there was a white one that caught my eye and he instantly noticed and grinned, "I see you've spotted my euro car, I've had that one a very long time" He was happy to show it off and told me he was planning on giving it a 24v heart eventually, I asked him if he wanted to sell it as well and as I expected he declined. So I bought the 87' and drove away happy as can be and didn't think twice about it. About a year later I got a call from the same man telling me he's been thinking about it and finally wanted to sell his euro car as well, So instantly met with him and came to a deal at 2 grand for the car, 2 m50b25nv's out of e34's, 373 lsd, a set of extra recaros, 2 extra set of wheels, and tons and tons of extra parts. And so the build began.

The 87' 325is

Picking up the euro car at night because I was too excited to get in the morning, As you can tell it sat under a tree for about 10 years

Got it to a friends barn out in the countryside to begin examining what I got myself into, Under all that dirt and grime there was actually paint! And it was in pretty decent shape at that

Got the spare m50 in their as well to start tearing it down on my old mattress

Along with the car I received a record book containing a history and maintenance record of everything done to the car since it was imported from Germany along with thousands of receipts from all the different owners throughout its life

Started tearing down the better looking m50 with a buddy to see what I was working with, was really well maintained because I couldn't find any warping of the head, cams were in good shape but ditched them anyway for s50's I picked up.

Head got ported and polished

Got sick for a week so I took the time to buy some new goodies

I didn't know much about bmw's or m50 swaps so I didn't realize the e35 m3 fan clutch I bought didn't clear the new 3 path radiator. If anyone wants it I can sell it pretty cheap :(

Also picked up a wiring adapter harness for the car off of some guy who makes them on R3v, I highly recommend him (sorry to whoever does make them I'd give you credit but can't remember your username)

I was extremely lucky with alot of searching and picked up an e30 m3 cluster out of a junkyard (A JUNKYARD) for just 30 bucks and had to instantly put it in.

Took off the metal thermostat housing and a few other things from the other engine to be a little more cost efficient

Brand new e34 m5 clutch and pressure plate put in along with a new slave and brake master cylinder.

Celebratory pose after putting all the new gaskets in and put back together

Had a couple friends come over to help put her in

Got it put in and started rigging everything up (Really realllllyyyyy questionably may I add) for now just to get it running.

Uhm, what that that cluster attached to? pm me if there's an m3 in a junkyard somewhere, regardless of condition. Please and thank you.
    Hank Ahrens
    1984 Alpine Coupe
    1978 911sc

Comment

I picked up the cluster from Ernies Auto Salvage on the south side of Muncie,
      Sadly no it was not in an E30 M3 or I would have bought it regardless of condition myself, It was actually sitting in the trunk of a rusted out e24.
      I honestly couldn't believe it was there

Comment

hate to burst your bubble, but that is not an m3 instrument cluster.

Comment

Originally posted by e304lyfe View Post
          true, you can tell because it has the mpg gauge and not an oil temp gauge.

nice car, is a 323? Why are you swapping the engine?
          318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
          '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Originally posted by e304lyfe View Post
            Oh man thanks for the heads up, dont want to advertise whats not real.
            Like I said before I just got into the realm of bmw and wouldn't know the difference. But hey, 30 bucks isn't killing me so I'm fine with it

Comment

Originally posted by downforce22 View Post
              true, you can tell because it has the mpg gauge and not an oil temp gauge.

nice car, is a 323? Why are you swapping the engine?
              No sir, A 325, It would be cool to have one of those 323's or 316'a though. The previous owner said he wanted more reliability and smoother power from it so he ripped out the m20 and left it at that. He actually still has the engine in really good condition and I'd like to get it off of him if possible. But since it was out I said to heck with it and started doing the swap

Comment

Took a break from working on the car and took a trip to Import Alliance and a couple drift events this past summer and saw some pretty rad cars out there and took a couple of our own

88 Fc Rx7 Vert

Buddies s14 with a Kouki swapped front clip

s54 E30 that made me deaf after recording just 2 runs lol

Important Alliance

Comment

Working...
                X