89 325is S52 Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

89 325is S52 Swap

So I bought my E30 drooling over pictures of this swap and always said "One Day". Well after snagging a S52 this week it became a reality. I wanted to start this thread so some of you can point out all the shit Im doing wrong and stop me before I cause myself more pain!

Im Starting out with an 89 325is thats current engine its extremely tired in need of a rebuild so instead of forking over money for that I went the swap route.

For the Engine I just picked up a S52 with a recent complete rebuild. New pistons and bearings , freshly rebuilt head all the bells and whistles. Its already been OBD1 swapped with the m50 intake.

The plan is to get the all the parts ready and start the swap over the four day weekend for Christmas. This is a daily driver for me so the goal is no down time.
    Parts List So far.
    -Condor Engine and Trans +G260 Mount
    -Mishimoto E36 Radior and Hoses
    -E34 Pan, pick up tube, and dipstick

And everything else is still needed, haha.
    Now the parts hunt begins.
    Last edited by BritishMike; 11-27-2015, 10:13 AM.

Looks like a great start! I'm digging the style 5s!
    Our RestoMod Diary!

El Mustache De La Resistance!

Comment

Originally posted by FreedomM3 View Post
      Looks like a great start! I'm digging the style 5s!
      Thanks! Cant afford the RS wheels yet so these were as close as I could get I figured.

Comment

Cool stuff - mind PM'ing me what you paid for the s52? I will be selling mine soon so I would like some data points.

Comment

So here's an updated list of the parts gathering so far.

I stripped the exterior of the motor apart, going to replace pretty much every gasket except for the head gasket. I figure while its out of the car do as much as I can. Wiring has been my main worry point so far. Ive ordered a custom adapter and talked extensively with the guy making it. Hopefully all goes well. Everything is starting to arrive going to clean the block and re assemble. I'll post some pictures this weekend, but this is how we sit at the moment.

Last edited by BritishMike; 12-04-2015, 07:08 AM.

Comment

So I'm sorta new to the forum, I mainly use it for researching rather than corresponding with other members so I maybe not in the know with everyone. But do we have a resident electrical know-all guru? I have a Crank Position Sensor question. I'm getting ready to drop in a S52 previously converted to OBD1 in an E36 M3. I know I have the correct OBD1 harness. And from what I read the M44 CPS is a plug and play option. My questions is the M44 was a OBD2 engine will this sensor be plug and play with my OBD1 ecu and harness? I have a CPS sensor in the rear mount currently but it doesn't have a tail so I'm guessing thats one from the S52?

-Mike

Comment

In your last picture you can see where the OBD1 trigger is supposed to be mounted. Not sure about using the rear one with a different sensor
              Simon
              Current Cars:
              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                In your last picture you can see where the OBD1 trigger is supposed to be mounted. Not sure about using the rear one with a different sensor

Ive read a few post where they talk about using that rear port with a M44 sensor when running under drive pulleys. Id love to do that so another wire is tucked away under the intake.

Comment

Nice Vaders

Modena?

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

Ive read a few post where they talk about using that rear port with a M44 sensor when running under drive pulleys (missing the gear wheel up front). Id love to do that so another wire is tucked away under the intake.

Comment

[QUOTE=Javier h;[/QUOTE]
                      Thanks! :) They are for sale if your interested! I want something with some bolstering.
                      Last edited by BritishMike; 12-09-2015, 02:33 PM.

Comment

So we got the engine all re-sealed, also mounted the new pan pick up tube and all that jazz. Had to grab a new valve cover due to a odd crack in the other one. Ready to start the swap just waiting on a temp sensor and need to put in a pilot bearing. May pull the trigger Friday and start the swap, pulling the motor and trying to have this under the hood by Saturday night.

Comment

So Im almost complete with my weekend S52 swap 3 weeks later (fingers crossed)I did get the engine in plumed the whole nine yards just had some other failures that have taken me awhile to figure out. Heres the car that Sunday night of the swap weekend.

Other bits of the swap can be found here as Ive been trying to get the E30 back on the road.

Comment

What are you tire specs?
                            1990 325i Cashmere Beige

"I don't like question marks. They're like exclamation points, but think they're fancy because they're curved. I won't tolerate it." -MNChiefsan

Comment

Originally posted by Blake B View Post
                              What are you tire specs?

They are 205 50 16r

Comment

Working...
                              X