Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
            PSH, an understatement here folks

CHARLIE!... COME BACK!
            I'm always lurking....

Yea I've driven it to work for a few weeks now. It's in the garage now getting detailed (clay bar, polish, sealant, wax etc.)

I've done a bit of work on the e30 too..

Problem is that I used to post while I was at work but now they've blocked google photos/drive etc. across the whole company because I guess info got hacked or shared somewhere. I'm never on my computer when I'm home - always using my limited free time to actually work the projects :)

I'll start posting photos again I promise
            '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
            Shadetree30

Comment

Alight. Time to start catching up.

Digging back into my photos I think this is where I left off. Reinforced the trailing arms and subframe after everything was sandblasted. My roommate took all of it to work and painted it gloss black in the spray booth. Then I installed powerflex bushings. Picked up a hydraulic press from harbor freight to press in and out all the various bushings. Lifesaver. Started to fabricate my own adjustable swaybar endlinks using a new set of OEM m3 endlinks. Chopped it in half, threaded and reverse threaded each end, screwed them into a hex female threaded rod I found online. Voila.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
              Shadetree30

Comment

great work :D - from your NEW FRIEND! <3

Comment

Frickin love Becks. Great build man, I wish I could come close to that sort of attention to detail...

325iX Turdbo Rally/Hillclimb/Beater

Comment

Finally.
                    How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Here're some more detailed photos of the rear end subframe and suspension component restoration. Fully reinforced, upgraded and painted. I added M3 ball joints to some spots where the non-m got rubber. I also can't believe I didn't take any photos of the rear subframe and trailing arm mount reinforcement on the chassis. Those were a bit of a pain in the ass to wire wheel down to metal and weld in. Actually noticed two of the subframe mounts had begun to crack. Caught it just in time. Coated it all with por15. It was very messy but I'm glad it's done.

Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                        great work :D - from your NEW FRIEND! <3
                        haha is that in reference to the notes on my workbench?
                        Originally posted by Fraser View Post
                        Frickin love Becks. Great build man, I wish I could come close to that sort of attention to detail...
                        Yea, lived several years in Bremen Germany while attending university - that's the becks hometown and huge brewery. It's nott he same becks you get here though :(
                        glad you enjoy the build
                        Originally posted by rzerob View Post
                        Finally.
                        haha yea... I was going back over my photos and didn't realize how much I actually did take photos of (I have ~250 more to share) and also how much I DIDN'T take photos of... most of the time I was just a man on a mission to get the thing done and didn't even want to stop for 30s to snap a picture

got them all organized now so I can share them bit by bit
                        Shadetree30

Comment

Lol yeah I just wanted to fit in.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

More of the rear suspension components and assembly. I did my best to remove all of the rust I could see and coat everything in por15. Coilover suspension was supplied by FEAL. Couldn't be happier with fit and finish. Chopped the dust shields off the front spindles and now I don't remember why, though I'm sure I had a good reason.

Shadetree30

Comment

Those coilovers looked a little bit like fortune autos coilovers. Great work as always. I'm amazed how different the subframe and suspension are from the E30.

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                                Those coilovers looked a little bit like fortune autos coilovers. Great work as always. I'm amazed how different the subframe and suspension are from the E30.

They do, but it's what's on the inside that counts. And I have no idea how to verify that they very well may source the major parts from the same place. I do know that FEAL has been around for a while and supplies suspension to many top performing race teams. Interestingly I spoke to them in depth about rebuilding the coilovers on my e30 (megan coilovers) and they told me they could basically custom rebuild them to whatever I wanted, fully adjustable with remote reservoirs if I wanted to go that far; that the major components are all the same and irrelevant and it's the precision valving and small internal components, fluid etc. that makes the difference, and those components they spec, assemble, and test themselves.

Rear suspension design changes e30 to e36 are very dramatic. It's not even remotely similar. Complete redesign. You can feel the difference quite dramatically too. Now I understand why the e36 is such a popular platform for racing. I'm really itching to build an all out e36/e46 autox/track car for some series and actually attempt to compete.
                                Shadetree30

Comment

Working...
                                X