The Adventures of Golden Boy, my Rebound E30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Adventures of Golden Boy, my Rebound E30

Hello everyone and welcome to my newest build thread, thank you for looking. Follow along and enjoy the ride.

Hope you like reading a lot, I don't really know how to keep things short and sweet.

Before I get into it, I should start with a back story of how I got to here. In February of 2012 I bought myself a 1973 BMW 2002 that quickly became the most involved project I had ever taken on. I had pretty little experience with anything automotive related but was very inspired by the forums and a few builds in particular so I felt I could handle it and learn along the way. For 16 months straight the build was my top priority and I was working on it 3-5 days a week consistently. I learned a ton about the way cars work, how to fix/replace things, body work, welding, etc. While I was getting deeper into the project I grew more and more passionate about metal working and it eventually led to me renting out my own shop space (July 2013) where I could work on the 2002 and also build custom furniture and other stuff. It started off as a hobby space, but about 6 months in I decided I wanted to be in there every day with no distractions, so I quit my job serving tables and pursued the shop as my livelihood. My priorities were changing on a daily basis and my beloved 2002 project was waiting patiently on the back burner to get the same attention I had been giving it during the first year of the project. The plan was always to see the project through, I had invested so much time, effort and money into the thing that I couldn't fathom letting it go. It killed me to see it sit for weeks untouched. Weeks quickly became months and all of a sudden two years had flown by without a single day dedicated to working on it. Like I said, my priorities had changed and I was now solely responsible for surviving on a day to day basis, which definitely proved to be a challenge. I had almost listed it for sale once before but couldn't get myself to post the ad after spending 2 hours writing it up. A few weeks ago I decided it was time to let it go for real, to someone who actually had the means to get it back on the road. It was a very tough decision but I was honestly ready to get it off my hands, it just wasn't realistic for me anymore. I ended up working out a deal with Igor from CAtuned in Sacramento to buy the 2002 and I couldn't be happier about it. They will be picking it up in mid December sometime and it will finally get the love and attention it deserves. It's the best scenario I could've imagined for the car.

I decided I still needed a BMW in my life once the 2002 project was gone, just something more within my means. I owned a 1991 318is for a pretty short while before moving into my shop and I was always very enthusiastic about E30's after that. Over the last 2 years I've been dreaming about what my ideal E30 build would be and told myself I'd make it happen one day. I always kept an eye on my local Craigslist just to see if any crazy deals randomly popped up but rarely saw a good opportunity and never jumped on anything. Once I had committed to selling the 2002, I started searching for an E30 more seriously but was in no rush whatsoever, I figured it would be several weeks before the 2002 was even off my hands.

There was barely anything listed anywhere close to me. Had one close opportunity at a clean 1985 325es which I randomly discovered in a dirt parking lot in Salinas, CA but couldn't get it for the right price. I knew I wanted an early model, but was waiting (and hoping) for a score, I didn't have much spending money.

There was one listed on Craigslist in Orcutt, which is about 40 miles south of me. The dude posted it once 2 months earlier and never renewed the ad so it was way down in the ranks. I figured it was long gone, it seemed clean and was priced pretty cheap. I texted him anyways and he responded immediately saying he still had it. I hit him with a disclaimer that I was working with a very small budget and that I didn't want to waste his time, but he said he was down to meet up and just wanted it gone. I was pretty anxious and excited at this point.

The car was a 1987 325is. Early model just like I wanted, however it was Bronzit and automatic (perhaps the reason it was still posted, pretty undesirable combo for most). This didn't bother me much though because I already have a G260 in my shop for a manual trans conversion and knew I needed a respray with my plans anyways.

I'll admit that my main reasons for wanting an early model are purely aesthetic. Paired with the smaller tail lights, an early model converted to late model plastic bumpers and rear valance is simply perfection to me. The higher rear arches also help the car achieve a more level and proper look when fitted with the right suspension/wheel/tire setup in my opinion. I've been stashing a set of late model bumpers/valances up in the rafters of my shop for this exact scenario, so it's definitely happening.

I went and checked it out the next day and was actually surprised at how clean it was. It was very stock and seemingly well taken care of. Immaculate crack free dash, body was straight for the most part, paint looked decent except for the hood, seats weren't terrible, clean carpet, lots of new maintenance recently done and it actually ran and drove pretty nice. We talked some stuff over and eventually agreed on a price for the car and shook hands. I was screaming on the inside but keeping my cool. He later pulled out a pair of brand new Lemforder complete front control arms with new lollipops/bushings and included them for an extra $100. Awesome topper to the whole deal. Really nice guy too.

I've never named one of my cars before, to be honest I just think it's weird. Like an E39 M5 named Tatiana is just weird to me. With that said, Golden Boy seemed fitting.

I drove Golden Boy home a happy man that evening and laid awake in bed til 3am all giddy while I brainstormed my build. Keeping it pretty mellow and modest for the most part. Mainly a bunch of refreshed components, make it tight/comfortable/reliable, give it the look I'm after and just enjoy it. The whole purpose of this build is to drive it frequently while I work on it little by little, instead of it letting it sit for 4 years.

If you read all that, I salute you. If not, I fully understand. I'll shut up now and show you some pictures:

I won't disclose too many details, but part of the deal with CAtuned was to receive some new parts for the e30 as partial payment for the 2002. It worked out great both ways, and I'm super excited on what's to come for the e30 later this month when they come to pick the car up! I had the opportunity to acquire a set of Fifteen52's new cast FormulaTR wheel for the E30 which is so awesome. Like I said, this build is going to be pretty mellow so I'm not interested in building a set of expensive multi-piece wheels like I did for the 2002, plus I just love the look and size of these wheels. They showed up on Friday:

Moment of truth:

Love em:

Then I decided to take an actual picture of them. Can't wait to see these properly fitted on Golden Boy!

Stay tuned, much more to come!
    Last edited by CubbyChowder; 12-07-2015, 10:42 AM.

--Roundie Revival 2.0 - 1973 BMW 2002 Build Thread--
    --Golden Boy E30 Build Thread-- (sold)

Sorry to hear about your 02 but I completely understand. I'm digging those new wheels!
    Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
    The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Nice Find! Great Story too, subscribed!

RICHTER MOTOREN

1987 e30 325is Zinno - Restoring
      2004 e46 325xi Alpine - Daily
      2003 e46 330ci Topaz - Sold
      1988 e30 325is Zinno - RIP
      2007 Honda Ody - Family Truckster

'87 325is Restoration Build

Comment

Nice, pumped youre still building something!

Comment

Thanks guys :up:

Comment

Im excited to see the build.
            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Subscribed, can't wait to see what you do with it. Glad to hear you didn't leave the bmw life and just decided to get a new one!
              sigpic
              91' 318is Brilliantrot
              Yes, it still has an m42

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                Im excited to see the build.
                Thanks hope you enjoy it!

Originally posted by CanadianDirty30 View Post
                Subscribed, can't wait to see what you do with it. Glad to hear you didn't leave the bmw life and just decided to get a new one!
                There was no way I could sell the 2002 and not have something to replace it. The anticipation of finishing it was killing me over the last few years and I really missed having a car to drive and work on regularly. The '02 just felt so out of reach because it still needed so much money and time to finish. The E30 is much more suitable with where I'm at in my life.

Comment

Originally posted by CubbyChowder View Post
                  There was no way I could sell the 2002 and not have something to replace it. The anticipation of finishing it was killing me over the last few years and I really missed having a car to drive and work on regularly. The '02 just felt so out of reach because it still needed so much money and time to finish. The E30 is much more suitable with where I'm at in my life.
                  Yea I know what you mean, the e30 is a more well rounded car, fairly inexpensive to maintain which makes it suitable to most lifestyles.

I'm fairly new the the e30 life but am already hooked, I can't imagine life without a bmw now
                  sigpic
                  91' 318is Brilliantrot
                  Yes, it still has an m42

Comment

I liked your 318is. Can't wait to see where you go with this one. It looks like a nice car to start with.

Also, good to hear the 2002 went to a good home. I'm sure CATuned will take good care of it!
                    '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
                    '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

Let's just hope you finish this one ;) haha nah just joking. Good find!

Feedback!
                      Custom Cup Holder Consoles!
                      Calypso Story--S50/Shaved and Tucked Bay

Comment

Loved the 2002, looking forward to this.
                        Instagram: @dillonmakar

Build thread HERE

Comment

Originally posted by CanadianDirty30 View Post
                          Yea I know what you mean, the e30 is a more well rounded car, fairly inexpensive to maintain which makes it suitable to most lifestyles.

I'm fairly new the the e30 life but am already hooked, I can't imagine life without a bmw now
                          Good to hear! I know how you feel haha.

Originally posted by Codym42 View Post
                          I liked your 318is. Can't wait to see where you go with this one. It looks like a nice car to start with.

Also, good to hear the 2002 went to a good home. I'm sure CATuned will take good care of it!
                          Thanks man, I really enjoyed my old E30. Very excited on this new build. And yes, I think CAtuned will take great care of it :up:

Originally posted by Steven View Post
                          Let's just hope you finish this one ;) haha nah just joking. Good find!
                          hahah nah that's fair, but I'm not letting myself dive nearly as deeply into this as I did the '02. I have limitations now.

Originally posted by dillon7 View Post
                          Loved the 2002, looking forward to this.
                          Thank you!

Comment

Some parts are starting to roll in, so naturally I had to lay everything out and take pictures. It's gonna happen every time I get new parts, so be prepared for that.

One of my first plans for this car is to completely refresh all suspension related components. Going with all OEM or OE quality replacements, just want it tight and neat.

So far I have gathered:
                            Lemforder complete front control arms (included in purchase of E30)
                            Meyle Lollipops with bushings pressed in (included in purchase of E30)
                            Genuine BMW rear subframe bushings
                            Lemforder rear trailing arm bushings
                            Lemforder rear sway bar linkages

Still need to gather a few little things for when the big refresh comes. I'm researching steering rack options/swaps for the future so I'm holding off on new tie rods for now. Ordered a couple things from FCPeuro on cyber monday and it turns out they sent me my order twice:

Stay quiet and act like it never happened? Nahhh I'll let them know they fudged up. Emailing them as soon as I post this update. They've always been good to me.

The other day I had a few hours to spare so I decided to tear the Viper Alarm system out. I was already sensing problems with it and it prevented me from starting the car a few times, couldn't figure out why. I know next to nothing about alarm systems so I figured I'd remove it now to prevent problems and maybe pay to have a new one installed down the road. Felt good to tear into things a little, it's been quite a while since I curved my spine around a car seat and grunted like a billy goat:

This is gonna be fun to address eventually. The stereo system is all funky, one tweeter buzzes really loudly when the stereo is powered on. The wiring seems kinda fucked, I need to investigate deeper in the coming weeks:

Viper system out, happy times:

Last edited by CubbyChowder; 12-23-2015, 12:02 AM.

Comment

Duuuuuuuudeeeee, I can already tell I'm going to love this car based on your plans. Can't wait to see that bumper swap.

Comment

Working...
                              X