No announcement yet.

Beckster's M52 325IS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why don't you just put another gasket in and properly torque it?

Then take the time to get an m52.

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
      Why don't you just put another gasket in and properly torque it?

Then take the time to get an m52.
      I have the whole month of June as free-time for this swap, the m20 has 300,000 miles and is tired. I'd rather not put anymore money into it.

I talked with a few people with m50/m52 turbo cars and they have said that for obtaining 300-400whp with boost, a obd1 m50 will be easier and slightly cheaper than building a m52 turbo for that same power goal.

I'm not looking for crazy performance as of right now. I just want a reliable 24v I can pull 180-190whp with a chip and headers until I have money for F/I.
      1990 Alpine 325is
      1992 Schwarz 325ic (sold)

Comment

M20 is out

M20 is pulled out, so that means I have to drop something in it.
        I'm thinking that maybe I drop a few mixtape's and a big bonfire inside the bay before the 24v arrives.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1 - Qx6VCWn.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	7185531

Name:	2 - xBzsV7d.jpg
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	7185533

Name:	3 - q2rwJBG.jpg
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	7185535

Pressure washed and degreased, I think it came out great.
        Attached Files
        1990 Alpine 325is

Comment

:)

That looks great , going to be nice to have it all back on the road...hopefully by June 18th so I can see it at c/c:)
          jm

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jm View Post
            That looks great , going to be nice to have it all back on the road...hopefully by June 18th so I can see it at c/c:)
            jm
            Thank you John, I know I'll have it running by the end of the month.

I'll be on the hunt for new wheels as well;D.
            1990 Alpine 325is

Comment

ST1G and Farbin will be happy.

Plot twist. I'm no longer getting an m50.

I'm receiving an obd2 m52 from an automatic 328i with low miles for free.
              So here is my question, since I'm getting a free m52 and already have an e34 oil pan and 413 ECU (413 because I thought I was going obd1 m50) how much more money am I looking to spend on completing the obd2 m52 swap?

Input appreciated, and if there's any potato farming locals that would like to contribute to my swap you will be well rewarded with either steak/ribs or $.
              Last edited by BECKSTER; 06-07-2016, 10:24 PM. Reason: Because swag.
              1990 Alpine 325is

Comment

Originally posted by BECKSTER View Post
                I talked with a few people with m50/m52 turbo cars and they have said that for obtaining 300-400whp with boost, a obd1 m50 will be easier and slightly cheaper than building a m52 turbo for that same power goal.
                Would argue the complete opposite. M52 gets more displacement, better ECU, a forged crank, lighter valvetrain, and a few other things. Only real downside is the oddball oil filter housing, which is only really a problem if you hulk smash it.

Originally posted by BECKSTER View Post
                So here is my question, since I'm getting a free m52 and already have an e34 oil pan and 413 ECU (413 because I thought I was going obd1 m50) how much more money am I looking to spend on completing the obd2 m52 swap?
                Sell the 413, and if you're just trying to get the swap done cheaply and run it around N/A for now, you can buy an INPA cable and a 20-pin to OBD2 adapter (Here), the chipster MS41 flash tool (here) then download/set up romraider.

Do some reading on the RR forum (here) as well as the slightly easier to navigate OpenMS41 site (here) and figure out how to modify the control bits and turn off any emissions stuff you need and your flashing is done for ~$60.

You could make it even cheaper if you wired up an OBD2 port in the car instead of buying the adapter, but its easier to just plug in the adapter.

Alternatively, I recommend Dave @ Markert Motor Works for Flashing pretty much anything to do with BMW stuff OBD2 or newer.
                Originally posted by priapism
                My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                Originally posted by shameson
                Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Alternatively, I recommend Dave @ Markert Motor Works for Flashing pretty much anything to do with BMW stuff OBD2 or newer.

I don't currently trust myself at tuning my own ECU so I'll most likely get it sent out, and maybe have it performance tuned?

I'll be selling the wheels of my car and running bottlecaps for alittle while so I can have some extra cash to play with and get everything I need.
                  1990 Alpine 325is

Comment

I thought all the 325IS models came with an Mtech kit on it? This just looks like a normal 325I with an airbag wheel.. sure its an IS?
                    Boris - 89 E30 325i
                    84- E30 323i

Comment

Originally posted by bangn View Post
                      I thought all the 325IS models came with an Mtech kit on it? This just looks like a normal 325I with an airbag wheel.. sure its an IS?
                      To my knowledge the USA 325is did not come with an Mtechnic kit.

The 1990 US spec 325is also came with an airbag wheel.

The features the US 325is came with was
                      The trunk lip, an LSD, basketweaves BBS wheels, I think slightly stiffer springs, sport seats, and an mtechnic wheel ( mine came with an airbag since it's a 90'.)
                      1990 Alpine 325is

Comment

Interesting.. I think you've got the better deal anyway. Too many big holes in the body for the mtech kit mounts.. opens it up to rust.
                        Boris - 89 E30 325i
                        84- E30 323i

Comment

:)

You can put an m-tech 2 kit on this car if it is a 1990. M-tech 1 would go for the early models.
                          Hate to see you sell those wheels, but it will be a nice set up once you get the engine in!
                          jm

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jm View Post
                            You can put an m-tech 2 kit on this car if it is a 1990. M-tech 1 would go for the early models.
                            Hate to see you sell those wheels, but it will be a nice set up once you get the engine in!
                            jm
                            I'll be wheel hunting later this summer. I would like to buy a authentic set of TE37's or a set of BBS that need refinishing.
                            Let me know if you have any cool wheels laying around.
                            1990 Alpine 325is

Comment

Originally posted by bangn View Post
                              Interesting.. I think you've got the better deal anyway. Too many big holes in the body for the mtech kit mounts.. opens it up to rust.
                              I still wouldn't my car coming with an mtech kit factory.
                              I love the way mtech 2 cars look.
                              1990 Alpine 325is

Comment

Some small updates.

It's been awhile, progress has slowed down, but I've accumulated a few parts though.

- Spec Stage 2 clutch/pressure plate.
                                - E34 oil pan, dipstick, and pickup tube.
                                - transmission mounts.
                                - SS rep headers.

I finally sold my avid wheels today and I should be shipping my harness and ECU out to kadunza . I'll be going with a 944 booster for those of you who are wondering.

And since cash is short, I've picked this bucket up to sell and hopefully make a coin.

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	7186136
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by BECKSTER; 09-26-2016, 09:39 AM.
                                1990 Alpine 325is

Comment

Working...
                                X