1990 325is Progression // M20B25 Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1990 325is Progression // M20B25 Rebuild

The story begins with a 1990 325is Brilliantrot 5 speed that popped up on craigslist with no photos. I contact the owner and learn it's a one owner car that has been sitting for 10 years in a garage. So I grab a Uhaul and a friend and head over to see what's what. It has 202,xxx miles on a non-working ODO. Interior looks is in excellent shape, it’s slighly rusty and has been repainted. The owner had bought it not running from the original owners but never registered it or touched it. It’s bone-stock and $1,500 (2013) so I pay the man before he changes his mind and quickly load it onto the trailer, I was desperate for another red late model coupe...

I load it up onto the trailer for the drive home with a smile on my face...

Then get it towed to the BMW dealer where a friend (thanks Jael for bringing another one to life!) does the timing belt job, replaces the cooling system, and swaps in a new fuel tank with fresh gas. Notice the rear quarter panel, factory paint. The rest of the car had been resprayed and/or cleared. The clear coat was in visibly great condition when I bought the car in 2013 but is now flaking off everywhere. A repaint is in order in the far future.

I eventually throw on a complete GC kit and drive the car just like that for 5 years here and there. Not once did the car leave me stranded...

Last edited by plmichal; 08-21-2019, 10:49 PM.
    1990 325is Brilliantrot/Natur

looks like a overall clean ride.

Comment

That's a solid start and it has the euro grills and sport seats already!

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Originally posted by Reichart12 View Post
        That's a solid start and it has the euro grills and sport seats already!

Didn't all IS models come with sport seats?

Nice base to start with! Good luck. I'll be following.
        -ALaS

Comment

Nice car. I too have a brilliantrot 1990 325is. Interesting that your trunk is clearcoated, since brilliantrot is a single stage paint from the factory? I know I've worked my paint over a few times, with it being faded to pink when I bought it. It is 100% single stage, but it was also repainted through a BMW dealer some 10 years back.

EDIT - I remember reading a year ago or so about BMW dealers having certain cars clear coated at owners request upon delivery. Maybe that plays a part here.

Anyways, good luck with the car. I'll be watching.

Comment

Originally posted by Aikmanson View Post
            EDIT - I remember reading a year ago or so about BMW dealers having certain cars clear coated at owners request upon delivery. Maybe that plays a part here.
            My car has definitely been repainted at some point. I do not believe the clear coat is factory, I should have mentioned that. But it would be interesting to find out about the clear coat option from dealers. Never heard of that.
            Last edited by plmichal; 03-31-2019, 10:47 PM.

Comment

I installed a ZHP knob and 370mm M-Tech 1 in place of the horrible airbag wheel...

Last edited by plmichal; 03-31-2019, 10:52 PM.

Comment

where did you get the seal?

Comment

Originally posted by plmichal View Post
                  It's always a good time when I get to grab these keys.
                  That's the best feeling.

Looks like a really solid clean car. Jealous of the color!

--Roundie Revival 2.0 - 1973 BMW 2002 Build Thread--
                  --Golden Boy E30 Build Thread-- (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                    where did you get the seal?

Originally posted by CubbyChowder View Post
                    That's the best feeling.

Looks like a really solid clean car. Jealous of the color!
                    Thanks!

Comment

Great looking car! Fellow Brilliantrot '90 325is owner here. Excited to see where it goes!
                      - 1990 325is
                      - 2016 Nissan Frontier Pro 4X

Comment

Halogens are garbage and yes, the marker light is out. But I installed some Euro trim and grills.

Last edited by plmichal; 04-01-2019, 07:38 AM.

Comment

Nice, will be doing the same soon. Nice clean platform to start with
                          Continuous For Sale Thread
                          323i s50

Comment

The reason I love red coupes. My previous e30 was a 1989 325i Zinnoberrot 5 speed. Swapped an M50 and had it real low. Loved that car till the moment it got accordioned...

Last edited by plmichal; 08-21-2019, 08:21 PM.

Comment

I recently moved into a house with a (very small) garage so it's time to start tearing apart the E30...

It's dirty. Once the engine, driveline, wiring, accessories, suspension etc is removed, I will dolly the chassis outside for a thorough wash and rinse. I will be restoring and replacing most of what has been removed in this thread. The car has plenty of body and paint issues but those will have to be addressed at a later time, after I finish my degree in a few years...

I initially pulled the head with the idea of resealing the M20, but a full rebuild is in order. Yes I pulled it by myself with a 4-inch strap strapped around it....

Interestingly the cylinder scratching slowly increases in severity from none in cylinder 1 to this in Cylinder 6...

Last edited by plmichal; 08-21-2019, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X