'89 318i 6 speed m50b32tu turbo swap build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SSR-125 View Post
    Build is looking nice! Great progress. The only thing I am recommending is that you put RTV sealant on the top of the timing cover. Not a lot so it squeezes out but just a light coating because they are known to leak oil in that spot. I've been there and done that.. so I'm telling you to save you in the future lol. However the picture you just posted of the cylinder head is quite strange...
    I should have mentioned i did put a VERY light coat of RTV over the seam where the timing cover meets the head as i'd read about the leaking.

The cracking however is nowhere near this.

In other news i appear to have found 2x M52 short blocks and a head to go with them. Just hope it doesnt cost too much to ship them across the country
    RHD OBD2 M50b25 turbo build thread:
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=384800

Comment

And we have the culprit. Seems despite my tests, the block was somehow too soft in one place (maybe) because the cause of the crack was a timesert stripped from the block and pulled up into the head.

Very strange, I've never read of timeserts failing before. All the others were perfect.
      Attached Files

Comment

That's not caused by timesert. It's because of those stud bults you are using. The alu-block can't handle those (that's why ARP doesn't even have bolts for alu-block). Next time use only use stock headbolts. Those can handle 500-600 hp. If you wan't more, then switch to cast iron block with stud bolts.

Comment

Originally posted by pazi88 View Post
          That's not caused by timesert. It's because of those stud bults you are using. The alu-block can't handle those (that's why ARP doesn't even have bolts for alu-block). Next time use only use stock headbolts. Those can handle 500-600 hp. If you wan't more, then switch to cast iron block with stud bolts.
          This was the recommended setup from VAC motorsports...

Have found an e36 325i (M50) for dirt cheap with 180k kms on it so i'll be swapping that one in instead. Bonus is it's an auto, which i needed a tailshaft from anyway in order to complete the 6spd swap so it's not all bad.

Comment

Originally posted by ba114 View Post
            Living where i live is not conducive to building anything. Basic supplies such as this that you would be able to find in seemingly any other major city (i live in the capital city of Australia however its only 300k people) just aren't available here, increasing both time and cost. /Rant
            Same story as living here in Halifax (~400k), I couldn't find NGK BKR6E plugs when I first swapped my M52, and just yesterday I went everywhere looking for BKR7E and had just as much luck, so I ordered them off amazon and I'll run the BKR6E's until then.

I probably could've gotten some "xtreme iridium platinum 4x v groove" shit, but my objective is spark, not to never have to change my spark plugs again on my econobox.

Sure there are a few random individuals who have their own "business" and sell all this shit locally, but if you've never met them, you're SOL and have to order online (and its not like they keep stock on hand, so you're waiting either way)

Also, failed timesert and that massive crack? what the hell.
            Originally posted by priapism
            My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
            Originally posted by shameson
            Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

New donor car collected. 325i with m50b25tu. Paid AUD$400 which is roughly USD $0.50c.

No more aluminium block.
              Attached Files

Comment

Engine out!
                Attached Files

Comment

Decided to test fit the dud block. Seems I've installed the mounts in the subframe incorrectly.

Glad I found out now. Anyway will fix that up.

Also got the M50 up on the engine stand today so will start a teardown soon.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Definitely good to figure out now. I found it was a pain to get it all installed, really had to leave everything as loose as it could be in order to get all the studs through the right holes (that's what she said) then crank them down. This was with the condor mounts, which have offset studs, but I assume other mounts are a similar story.
                    Originally posted by priapism
                    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                    Originally posted by shameson
                    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

It's weird. Everything I've read says to put these (e28 m5) mounts in the outside holes. Even doing that doesn't give them enough space; it's like 1.5" off.

Comment

$400 for a whole car lol. That's mint

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

T U R B O - M 2 0 - B U I L D

M U S C C O O

Comment

Not much progress lately. Motivation is still low. haven't pulled the M50 apart yet as i've been busy scrapping the rest of the car which proved to be very useful.

After paying $400 for the car, i salvaged:
                          Driveshaft ($200 to buy separately), and
                          Radiator ($150 to buy separately)

Total out of pocket = $50

In addition, i've managed to sell roughly $800 worth of parts out of it to-date before i scrapped the shell. A couple for large items are for sale with active bids that should bring in another $400, meaning total of about $1150 ($800 cash) benefit from buying this car. That should cover the cost of a new cutring gasket and the machine work for the head.

In the meantime i've spent some more time with the wiring and analysis of differences between the euro MS41.0 and US MS41.2. I will be using different inputs and outputs from the DME for different than intended uses from the factory. Examples of this would be:
                          - Muffler flap solenoid as boost (or AFR) safety
                          - EVAP cannister purge as boost controller
                          - Rear O2 as wideband logger
                          - Rear O2 as MAP sensor input

To facilitate this it is necessary to understand the differences in the harnesses and knowing what i need to add, and what can be removed.

I've attached my findings.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Finally made a little progress. Spent the weekend pulling the head and cleaning up the block a bit. Positive news is that the head looks to be in excellent condition, as do the cams and ledges.

Also drilled, locktighted and safety wired the oil pump nut. That thing isnt going anywhere!

In other news i also decided i love my 135i steering wheel so much, that i would also buy and retrofit one to the e30. Pretty simple, just shaved the back of the wheel down, drilled holes and bolted to a boss kit for an aftermarket wheel.

Also wired up the OBD2 port to the ash tray/coin holder.

Attached Files

Comment

this is an awesome quality build thread. :)
                              '90 325is/S52
                              '76 2002
                              '74 2002tii
                              '06 325i sedan
                              '05 X5 3.0i
                              '86 Alfa Spider Veloce

Comment

Originally posted by RenaissanceMan View Post
                                this is an awesome quality build thread. :)
                                Thanks! Hopefully things will ramp up over xmas. About to re-order another cutring gasket next week and clutch and flywheel next month then i can throw it all in :)

Comment

Working...
                                X