No announcement yet.

'89 318i 6 speed m50b32tu turbo swap build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resprayed the valance the other day and re-fitted it yesterday actually along with the bumper.

Had the car just idling in the garage for about 10 minutes to dial in the idle tune when it started blowing thick whitish smoke...

Pulled the valve cover and plugs and put a borescope into the cylinders. They look fine. Drained the oil, no coolant in it. Likewise for the overflow. I've had a few headgaskets blow in the past and this didn't present the same symptoms at all.

I have a suspicion that the turbo is being over fed with oil and is the cause behind it. I'll need to try and re-route the drain so it's more direct and vertical and try a restrictor in the feed to see if it fixes the issue.
    Last edited by ba114; 03-18-2017, 07:09 PM.
    RHD OBD2 M50b25 turbo build thread:
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=384800

Comment

It will be blue smoke if it's caused by oil burned in turbo. Did you smell that smoke? It will smell like coolant if it's caused by coolant leaking to cylinder.

Comment

Yes I know what coolant smells like based on previous experience. I'm pretty certain this is not it.

Videos on YouTube of blown turbos smoking looks pretty similar.
        This one is pretty much identical:https://youtu.be/qwX49_bNhZ4
        Last edited by ba114; 03-19-2017, 01:24 AM.

Comment

Definitely an oil issue... started up today briefly and then shut down due to smoke.

Pulled the downpipe and was greeted with this
          Attached Files

Comment

Just a little oil, lol
            Originally posted by priapism
            My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
            Originally posted by shameson
            Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Could also be your PCV system. Are you venting to atmosphere? You'll have more oil blowing past the seals if you don't have crank case vacuum

You shouldn't need a restrictor on journal bearing turbo if you got a 10AN drain

Comment

Venting to atmosphere seems to work fine for everyone else (myself included)

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                  Venting to atmosphere seems to work fine for everyone else (myself included)
                  True dat, I'm not saying it doesn't work. It's probably the best solution for any boosted engine.

Some people's vents aren't all that great though and pressure might build up. Just noting that pulling vacuum on the crank case would be better if you can get it to work right.

From his pictures it looked like he had the stock OBD2 CCV hose attached, not sure where the other end goes though with the obd1 manifold.
                  Last edited by pandaboo911; 03-21-2017, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Definitely not pcv related.

My pcv routes through a catch can, then to the stock pcv valve whilst the engine is under vacuum. My obd1 manifold has been modified to retain the stock obd2 connections for the pcv and iacv.

Under boost the stock pcv setup is then isolated via check valves and instead vacuum is sourced from the turbo inlet (although currently is VTA)

Comment

awesome build and great attitude ba114. this is good stuff!

Comment

Ba114 how is your turbo oil return? Where is it located? Is it under the oil level or over?

Comment

Oil return is as high up on the pan as I could get it without interference.
                          Attached Files

Comment

That is clearly under oil level and depending on the turbo that could cause broblems. The front cover is very good place to put the oil return.

Comment

That would be under the oil level when the engine is off, but I would find it hard to believe the oil would be anywhere near that height while the engine is running.

Any chance the drain is kinked or otherwise collapsed?

If that's -10 with a -4 feed, and it is clocked near 0deg as the pictures show, I really don't think it should be a problem.

I mean, Pazi and I have our drains higher on the block/timing cover, but there are dozens of people on BF.C draining directly back to the pan as you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                                I mean, Pazi and I have our drains higher on the block/timing cover, but there are dozens of people on BF.C draining directly back to the pan as you are.
                                Yes there are. But As I said that depends on a what turbo is used.

Comment

Working...
                                X