Mt1? Obd2? S52 into 1984 318i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mt1? Obd2? S52 into 1984 318i

Hello friends, I'm going to start a build thread for the first time in hopes of keeping me motivated.. To hopefully finish this project in a few months. Here in the desert, the driving season takes place October-April so I have plenty of time, but I want to do this quickly.

Anyways, the car is an '84 318i, I bought it in I think March of last year, got it to run, drove it maybe five times, then parked it where it rests now. List of what I've done so far:
    Euro bumpers
    6cyl suspension
    Battery relocated to trunk
    Crank windows
    95 m3 steering rack
    Very sway bar
    Had everything for an m30 swap but the car has been hit and the radiator simply will not fit
    On the trailer

Only pic I have of the car I guess lol, when I took the m10 out

Bought an s52 a couple weeks ago with jb racing flywheel/m5 clutch, carbon intake, some other stuff for way too cheap so I've got new bearings in and piston rings coming. Head had the tiniest little crack in it that you can't see without a loupe, wasn't thru to the cooling system yet but I decided to replace it.. Swapped in the s52 valve springs. I think that's the only difference from m5x heads, right?

I'm planning on using the ebay headers -> 2.5" single for the exhaust, and an m50 manifold. Other than that it's going to be stock, I was really hoping to keep it obd2 but I do have a spare m50 if I decide to do obd1
    I want the car to be a 'race ready' street car, likely will go with GC for suspension with vert front bar and no rear sway bar just like my old car.
    So we are caught up to today for the most part, I have a few questions that I have been/ will be researching, but I'll put them here just in case someone with valuable input runs across this thread..

Is it ok to simply re install the Pistons with new rings in this block without machining?

I have the body side x20, was thinking of cutting the rectangle c101 off and splicing this in but what do I do with the extra wires? Remove them from the engine harness?

The "m5" clutch that came with the flywheel I got I guess is from an e39 m5. The clutch is unsprung. Is it ok to use an unsprung clutch with a single mass flywheel in the streets?

Thanks for looking!

Have you made a purchase from www.blunttech.com recently?
    sigpic<< wrecked

Got new rings in today but might end up boring out a spare m50 block so that everything will be 'new'

Have a hone but I think the cylinders are too far gone for what I'm trying to do..

Mt1 is in the thread title so you guys get to see what I picked up yesterday.. Full kit: Wing, skirts, front and rear apron, front and rear euro bumpers. Had to pay up for it but I think that where this car will be in the end will all be worth it. Always wanted an ///Mgine (M engine), always wanted an mtech car, why not have both?

Kit is in great shape, almost as if someone bought it all brand new a few years ago and ran it on their car for a year, only one scrape on the front apron and no cracked pieces anywhere.

Anyways, I have to decide if I'm going to keep this block with the S stamp or tear apart my m50 for its block... Then I guess I'll go ahead and put the MOTOR together. My buddy said he can graft the body side x20 to my car and figure out what to do with what wires, so that'll be nice. ALSO, please let me know if the smaller or bigger pictures are better for you. I use an iphone or a 40" tv to view this site so I really don't know what works best...

Take'r easy now fellas.

sigpic<< wrecked

Comment

To bad the M30 didn't fit. It would have been a sweet ride. The S52 is nice though.
      My Garage
      2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
      1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
      1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
      Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

I have another shell for the m30 when I'm done with this project. m30e30s are awesome dailys

sigpic<< wrecked

Comment

Well, I just can never seem to get ahead. I was spraying everything down with cleaner for final assembly and noticed a crack around the oil squirt er hole.. Awesome!

So I guess i'll tear down this m50 and send the block off to the machine shop for a 2.4mm overbore.

couple more pics of the car..

It'll be a week or two before I get this other block ready for assembly, so, maybe I'll work on something else between now and then... If I do I'll post pics in here.

sigpic<< wrecked

Comment

Working...
          X