Chase Bays M54B30 E30 Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chase Bays M54B30 E30 Build

Hey folks! My name is Chase and I am finally building an E30! I’m no stranger to BMW’s and I’ve had a few as daily drivers (E28 535i, E30 318is, E30 325i, E34, E36 328is, E92 335i) but never been able to actually build one to my liking. I am very excited.

Personal Instagram: www.instagram.com/chasemcmaster
    Biz Instagram: www.instagram.com/chasebays

Page 1: Tear down | Chassis cleaning on body cart | Engine bay prep
    Page 2: Suspension mods | M54B30 cleaning/prep | Arc Asylum Subframe/Oilpan/Headers
    Page 2L: All new front to back AN Brake Lines - Design and Install.
    Page 3: All new front to back AN Fuel Lines & Filter | New Fuel Pump
    Page 3L: Engine Bay Paint Attempt & Fail. Success on second try
    Page 3L: Spec Clutch and Flywheel, Engine and Trans in!

Spoiler Alert

Quick history.

I own a business called Chase Bays, www.ChaseBays.com. We build high end wiring harnesses and AN fluid transfer products (Brakes, Power Steering, Clutch, Fuel, Cooling). I’ve been doing this for 11 years. I started doing a much simpler form form of what we do now when I was 17 to raise money for college. I wanted to be an industrial designer. First 3 years my sales were 100% higher than the previous so I just stuck with it, I saw that I could make more of what most industrial designers would so that was that.

Between this E30 and my old E36 (sold to employee last year) we’re developing a TON of problem solving, aesthetically pleasing, and functional products for the BMW crowd. Its been a lot of fun to apply my 12 years of product design experience into 2 of my top 5 favorite chassis.

I’ve built a few cars over the years. First major ground-up build was a K20A CRX. Then VQ35DE 240sx S13. Then FR-S. We don’t do customer car work, just but theres a few cars I’ve taken part in too, whatever. Without taking up too much space, here’s the highlight reel of those.

I’ve obviously bounced around a bit. I’m a car enthusiast, not a specific mfg purist. That being said, I really really love BMW’s. My first was an E34 when I lived in Los Angeles in 2008, and I remember even thinking then “I don’t even not want to own a BMW”. I didn’t have one again until 2011 when I bought a 335i. Since then it haven’t not had 1 or 2 in the back shop.

When I had the 335i I remember thinking “I want everything this is but in an E30 chassis”. So slowly I set out for a cheap rust free chassis. Obviously this won’t have all the features of the 335i but I’m calling it a modernized E30. Lets talk about what it will be.

The rundown.

Engine: I am doing an M54B30 from E46 330i, ZF E36 M3 Trans, and 3.73 LSD. I was sold at aluminum block (100lbs lighter than other 24v) and easy 230hp@6k & 230tq@3k. Thats with I/H/E and Markert tune. When I turbo, 375hp is nice and safe. I wanted something modern and OBD2 scannable for easy troubleshooting. Something that if catastrophic failure happened, I could replace the engine for $1k or less. I tried to get the best of the best mods for the engine itself and I will highlight those throughout. Arc Asylum Merge Collector Headers, Rear Oil Pan Mod, Achilles Oil Pump Shaft, etc. I plan on drifting this car so it needs to be reliable while still making some good power.

Engine Bay: Chase Bays is kind of known for our clean and clutter-free engine bays so thats obviously happening. This is gold to anyone who likes things neat and orderly. I can’t build a car without it even if we’re excluding the aesthetic value. My engine bay will be like a perfectly clean desk. No extra crap and very calming when you’re working in there. Including the aesthetic value, its equally rewarding. No crazy engine bay shave but all brackets and weird shapes are gone. IE: battery tray for E30’s that have battery in the back. Yeah thats gone. Wiring is all new, clean, and Mil Spec. All plumbing is AN hose type front to back, all reservoirs are aluminum anodized black. You get the point.

Suspension: Everything is done that can be. Every reinforcement has been welded in and we of course have the rear camber and toe adjustments. All bushings are replaced with poly or spherical. BC Racing Coilovers 8k F / 10k R, Wisefab Front Angle Kit, Arc Asylum Front Subframe w/ sway bar relocation.

Exterior: I’m always battling an internal fight of mild vs wild. I can appreciate a car with aggressive aero and big wing but I usually end up with a pumped OE look. I don’t like to build niche interest cars. I want an old geezer to appreciate it as much as someone in their mid 20’s and everything in between. With the wisefab kit I am worried I will have to do something up front to keep the wheels flush but I don’t even know yet. So all we really know on exterior is it will be Beige like my S13 above. For add-ons it will have DTM style front lip and MTECH II style sides (not door caps).

Interior: Not really digging in too deep yet. But for now, Status Seats, BavRest Gauge Cluster, CAE shifter.

The E30.

Here’s the E30 the day I got it. $1,000 and rust free. Ran great, daily drive it for about 4-5 months. (old shop was falling apart so ignore that)

Mileage

Got a simple fuel line leak so figured it was a good time to rebuild the entire car. More to come!
    Last edited by Chase Bays; 08-02-2016, 07:56 AM.
    www.ChaseBays.com
    Chase Bays Instagram
    Chase McMaster Instagram

I'm sure lots people will know your work, lots of Zilvia, etc overlap here. Looking forward to see what you get into.
    sigpic

Comment

Nice man. I've always been a fan of your products and its cool to hear how you started your company. I'll have my eyes on this build.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by Chase Bays View Post
        Here’s the E30 the day I got it. $1,000 and rust free. Ran great, daily drive it for about 4-5 months.
        Where the fuck are people finding these cars for $1000?! I want to see more projects like this that start out with absolute piles of crap.
        My Feedback

Comment

That FRS is gorgeous. I look forward to seeing what you do with the E30.
          How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Good to see you posting a build thread here Chase. Please use this forum at your disposal! I'm excited to see where this goes.

-Tony G
            I don't even own this car anymore, but I'm too lazy to change the picture.

Comment

That is some impressive previous work. Ive looked at your products a little here and there so it'll be exciting to see what you can do with an E30!

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

subscribed, your work is always top notch :up:

Comment

I have your abs delete and really great so far quality looks and feels awesome!
                  Excited your doing an e30, Can't wait to see the finished product!
                  IG- nv_e30

Comment

Sub'd for M54 goodness
                    My Garage
                    2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                    1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                    1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                    Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

You guys are awesome, I really appreciate the kind words / support. Loving this forum.

FYI I am back dating a little since I don't have a ton of time to organize photos and post.

Onward...I was procrastinating starting the build October last year. I was daily driving my old G35 and got tired of it so I was going to drive the E30 a few days. Pulled it out of the shop and it had a really bad fuel leak at the filter. Aside from that every wheel bearing, ball joint, and bushing was bad so it was just a good time to tear into it. Started with the engine of course. At this point the lighting in the back shop was pretty bad. Now we have (12) 96" LED's so we're set. You'll notice pictures getting brighter in later posts.

Pulled the old M42. Maybe it will go in my 73' 2002, not sure.

GROSS

Pulled all the suspension out and put it on a Summit Body Cart

As I've gotten older I have turned into a nancy. I have to pressure wash the car really well before I start working on it.

Got rid of all the spot welded brackets for all the things I am not using or relocating

Got the wheels I'll initially be running. Work Meister S1 17x9 +15 and 17x10 +15. I am concerned about the front with the steering angle and ride height I want to run but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

www.ChaseBays.com
                      Chase Bays Instagram
                      Chase McMaster Instagram

Comment

Looks tidy..fuse box will be playing hide and seek I assume ;)

T U R B O - M 2 0 - B U I L D

M U S C C O O

Comment

3.73 gear ratio is way too short to be used with e36 trans. I would go with 2.93 or even 2.65 if you are turboing it.

Comment

Those wheels
                            1989 325i LS Swap (Money Pit):https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=244933
                            COTM Feb 2019: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=428404

Comment

Quit sandbagging and post more progress shots, I know you're further along than what has been posted so far
                              '89 318i Touring
                              '90 Miata

Comment

Working...
                              X