'90 325i S52 to S54 '06 Z4M w/ ZF 6 Speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2mAn,
    to explain: BMW has a file labeled a DAMOS file, also known as an A2L file. This is a document that tells a coder/programmer where data lies on the DME/ECU.
    Data such as Vanos maps, sport mode memory and such.

However the problem arises that the file is in German, and much is in shorthand. Second problem is the data is in different spots for the newer DME/ECUs, but no such A2L exists for them. Also how big is the map? Is it a simple function, or a 18x3 table. What does the data represent? Is it cam offsets, and if so what is the conversion from the raw Hex value to the integer?

So, through brute forcing, qualitative analysis and general tuning knowledge, much has been figured out. However, to simply hand out a file that is 97% correct may be dangerous, hence needing to show one has the knowledge to at least correct the maps they find if the data offset(where it is) is documented incorrectly.

For example, using TunerPro makes editing this data easy, as it is simply a map to these values and a readout of what they do. See my screenshot:
    Last edited by R3Z3N; 12-15-2016, 11:33 PM.

Comment

anytime any body does an S54 swap i'm head over heels. awesome project.

Comment

I'm doing an S54 swap into an E28 and there's some stuff you've done that has inspired me. In for more updates!
        Vlad: '87 535isMaytag: '87 528e'88 911Project Minerva - S54 E28

Comment

Threads like this always make me feel like I'm an ape who learned to turn a wrench.
          P.O.S 1989 325is - aka Project Sh*tbox

Project Shitbox - Restomod and other stuff - soon to be 328is

Comment

Originally posted by badwella View Post
            Threads like this always make me feel like I'm an ape who learned to turn a wrench.
            That's how I started. Had a B5 A4 Audi that was quoted $2500 for timing belt, when all I needed was $700 in parts+tools. Took 3 days in 105ºF weather, but learned a ton. Then fixed a torn CV joint, which I ended up replacing the whole unit as it's easier than replacing the whole boot..etc etc etc.

My attitude was "Just Do It!", because I'd rather buy more tires/bullets/time with the ladies in that order.

Comment

Originally posted by R3Z3N View Post
              That's how I started. Had a B5 A4 Audi that was quoted $2500 for timing belt, when all I needed was $700 in parts+tools. Took 3 days in 105ºF weather, but learned a ton. Then fixed a torn CV joint, which I ended up replacing the whole unit as it's easier than replacing the whole boot..etc etc etc.

My attitude was "Just Do It!", because I'd rather buy more tires/bullets/time with the ladies in that order.

Yeah....))

Comment

^Thanks to you as well Roznic. I almost gave up as you well know.

Received a couple small Midi fuse blocks so that I can finish the wiring. Been incredibly busy with work starting over again, but better!

Hopefully you guys get to see the updated Guage cluster soon!

I won't be working too much on the car while it's cold....

Comment

Originally posted by cek View Post
                  I'm doing an S54 swap into an E28 and there's some stuff you've done that has inspired me. In for more updates!
                  If you ever need help, PM me. Checked out your build and I am excited to keep up!

Comment

If you ever need help, PM me. Checked out your build and I am excited to keep up!

Will do! Thanks.
                    Vlad: '87 535isMaytag: '87 528e'88 911Project Minerva - S54 E28

Comment

Hoping done in a couple months. However I keep getting delayed ;-) Happen to have a hex address for the other 2 or 3? Found K_SKRAFTS_CONTROL @ 0x4028. I have the orig MSS54 A2L, but the A2L does not have this function, and of course searching for a 1 bit value of 00-02 yields a TON of locations I have an MSS54 (nonHP) v 2801.

Though, I don't want to take away from your services as I know your value.
                      Send me your partial, Ill let you know where it is.

Check Us out on Facebook
                      Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
                      Full Product Line Tuning
                      OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Oooh,
                        Finally understand how to edit/delete DTCs!

Default DTC (OBD Error Code) Deletion/Removal Strategy

Default E46 M3 MSS54 DME Error Code Comparison Table

Though, will need to use further software for DTCs that are not read via ODBII?
                        Also, some DTCs will need to be disabled, but complete modules should be edited out of the DME alltogether so the computer is not having to process the CAN modules that do not exist it seems.

Once my car is up and running, I will compile a list on the first page/posts that inform others what can be coded out for the E30 swap. Some variance will occur, IE PWM fan/ Gear Position Sensor/ Z3 Cruise Control module etc....

It's still cold outside, so build/wiring is on hold.

Comment

i want to see what you did for the 6 speed trans mount. can you post some pix?
                          sigpic
                          Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                          92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                          88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                          88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                          87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                          12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                            i want to see what you did for the 6 speed trans mount. can you post some pix?
                            Nothing yet. Not going to use anything off the shelf, and am going to sell the Kassel mount. I knew I would not be happy with it, was trying to just get this done, but am going to do have it done my way: a tube frame mount essentially. Just so far no one wants to weld it up.....

Comment

if you lived around here, i would zip it up for you
                              sigpic
                              Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                              92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                              88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                              88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                              87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                              12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                                if you lived around here, i would zip it up for you
                                No zip ties for me in this build. 😁

Comment

Working...
                                X