X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miami Vice - 951

Decided to cross-post this over from rennlist because reasons:
    Howdy,
    I wanted to make a quick intro as I'm new to the Porsche world. I've mostly been playing with Miatas and E30s over the past few years but a local buddy of mine here in Charlotte has been a big proponent of 951s so I decided to take the plunge.

After selling my last Miata for no good reason, other than I felt like the build was done there was a need for a new project. I explored a few options like e36 M3s, NB Miatas and even a few E30s. None of them really caught my interest until I saw this thing on craigslist:

Went to go see it with my local 951 "guru", it checked out, belonged to an older lady, had $10k of receipts from Hendrick Porsche in the glovebox.. so I pulled the trigger. Car has many niceties such as Lindsey rwhp kit, crack free dash, working a/c and from what I can tell it's never been wrecked.

I thought of getting a custom plate to match the 16" three piece Fittipaldis and candy apple red with metallic gold flake paint job... MiamiVice. Sadly it was taken :crying:

Stuck my nardi in from my miata:

Had a little fun that weekend (8 year old Fuzion ZRI were a HOOT at full boost :roflmao: )

Got the sunroof working

Exhaust fixed up

New wheels

Short Shifter, Diff output seal & Redline MTL
    Build Threads:
    Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

After doing some digging I found the original owner of the car on Linkedin. He was surprised to see the car was still around and had several fun memories. He told me about buying it new in 1985, taking around the Indianapolis Motor Speedway at over 120mph etc etc. What stuck with me is that I had a coworker (I'm a sales engineer for an HVAC manufacture) in Indy that said his family was in cars back in the 90s. I called up my co-worker about work stuff and casually mentioned I bought a Porsche sold new in his neck of the woods, and he replied "My family probably sold that car.. we had the only Porsche dealer in Indy"

After some digging and a few quick phone calls to the original owner it turns out my co-worker's dad had sold the car to him when it was brand new. What a coincidence!!!

Anyways, currently I'm trying to get a feel for the car and will more than likely go for a clean OEM+ build that is capable of the occasional HPDE.

Future Mods:
    1. Bilstein + coilovers sleeves front and rear
    2. Megasquirt
    3. Square wheel setup.. maybe 18x10 up front
    4. Paint her back to guards red
    5. Hybrid turbo

C&C welcome - Cheers
    Build Threads:
    Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Put some more work in

Peaking down at my intake valves they look super clean. I'm thinking this car had recent headwork.

It would make sense with the compression numbers I got, perhaps the head was decked:

Anyways turbo out:

Yikes

so.. I'm shopping around for a new turbo. Does anyone know if a gt28 or gt30 with a k26 hot side will bolt on if I use one of these (from boardfoot or cep):

I'm mostly concerned with the spacing/alignment of the oil mount and the up/downpipe.

Build Threads:

Comment

Christmas in July

mmmhmmm

Progress:

Turbo in after a few test fits, new seals for AOS and etc

How she sits now (don't worry downpipe is on her):

Doing venturi delete and all the other silicon hoses tomorrow. Got the 300zx temp sensor on the way and still need a new aux water pump (any recommendations? used/chinese/bosch from another car?). Also should I avoid those ebay alu radiators?

oh.. my shift boot also came in (sorry for the crappy pic)

The problem with the 951 is it wasn't developed for the United States..It was developed for Germany, where technicians could get government subsided mental rehab after working on them.

Build Threads:

Comment

Old Porsche tech of mine taught me this trick to bleed the clutch. Connect your caliper to the slave cyl, crack both bleed screws and gently pump the brakes (not past the normal pedal travel) and it'll reverse bleed the clutch.

My fancy facilities:

And all buttoned up:

.. and it's now leaking coolant out the back side of the head. New metal audi HCV on the way.

Build Threads:

Comment

While waiting for the parts to fix the coolant leak I installed this blaupunkt deck I picked up on ebay. Even has aux in!!

Build Threads:

Comment

Nice pickup, but when are you going to sell it? haha
              Continuous For Sale Thread
              323i s50

Comment

:)

Very nice; going to be a blast to drive:)
                jm

Comment

Originally posted by Court M3 View Post
                  He's already offered to trade me for the black Cabrio I rescued from the e30 pound :)
                  Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                  Alice the Time Capsule
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                  87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Clean Porsche.
                    Thanks for the tip on how to bleed the slave master with the brake caliper.
                    Last edited by efficient; 07-19-2016, 09:50 AM.

Comment

I can dig it Julian!

COTM

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
                        He's already offered to trade me for the black Cabrio I rescued from the e30 pound :)
                        I also tried to pawn it off on the owner of my purple miata.. That didn't work so I bit the bullet and stuck a new turbo in her. 20 hours of labor later she's almost back on the road :stupidsign:
                        Build Threads:

Comment

Fancy !

I like it.
                          Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                          The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

nice! I have a 951 as well...i need to get back working on it

Comment

Originally posted by Court M3 View Post
                              Ditto, I might be interested in it. I have had a soft spot for those but they get pricey when maintenance comes due.
                              https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Working...
                              X