325es noob build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by squidmaster View Post
    How did you get your driveshaft back in and what as the problem? Sometimes, if there isn't enough room, you have to dismount the diff.
    I ended up removing the exhaust entirely rather than fighting around it. That was a big help with getting the studs line up with the guibo. The rest was just some good old fashioned jiggling and shaking until it just popped into place. I'm pretty sure I just didn't have the driveshaft collapsed all the way, I think it's hung up on the splines or something.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BFT_Boyle View Post
      She drove! :) Only did a small test up the block and back, but it was good. Passenger side front wheel bearing needs replacing though. Shift linkage still kinda funny, but I'm grinning ear to ear
      Congrats! The beauty of E30 ownership!
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

So what's up with preloading the CSB? I didn't do that prior to test drive. Could that be making some of the vibration I was hearing/feeling? I know for sure I have a bad wheel bearing/hub, but I'm wondering if it's a combo of both.

Comment

Went back and preloaded the CSB. Checked to make sure all drivetrain fasteners were tight and drove it up the block again. I didn't feel the same knocking, only felt rough bearings. I also forgot to mention by AC compressor is just zip tied to the block so that was probably banging around some as well.

Comment

Went back and preloaded the CSB. Checked to make sure all drivetrain fasteners were tight and drove it up the block again. I didn't feel the same knocking, only felt rough bearings. I also forgot to mention by AC compressor is just zip tied to the block so that was probably banging around some as well.

Zip ties? That's incredible..lol
            '91 318i (Alpine) - daily
            '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

Comment

Originally posted by fresh_TD View Post
              Zip ties? That's incredible..lol
              Ha yeah well, it was either that or let it hang off the hoses. Still digging around for the mounting bolts ;)

Comment

https://vimeo.com/190815160 well thar she blows. Loose as can be.

New hub/bearing assemblies came in today and will be installed this weekend. Next test will be a run to the gas station. Im hoping no mechanical issues and no CHP since I'm non-op.

Comment

New hub assemblies made a huge difference! I actually had the courage to smash the pedal a little bit.

It's all coming together

Comment

So my oil light on the check panel came on while driving. Turned the car off for awhile, restarted and it was gone. Then my coolant check light came on :/ . First off, what is the difference between the oil check light and the oil light on the cluster? Secondly, bad sensors?

Comment

So my oil light on the check panel came on while driving. Turned the car off for awhile, restarted and it was gone. Then my coolant check light came on :/ . First off, what is the difference between the oil check light and the oil light on the cluster? Secondly, bad sensors?
                      The oil check light is for low oil level. The oil light on the dash is for low oil pressure.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
                      Eric Giles
                      '20 M2 CS
                      '04 M3
                      '11 X5 35D
                      '87 325is
                      '91 325i Sport

There are few things more expensive than a cheap BMW...

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Giles View Post
                        The oil check light is for low oil level. The oil light on the dash is for low oil pressure.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
                        Thanks!

So this happened too. Alternator fan rubbed a hole in my radiator hose :( I don't know how else to rout it so that it isn't near the fan. Is there supposed to be a shroud or something?

Comment

Ok so I did have the lower radiator hose on backwards. That's why it ran into the alternator :/. Put the old one back on and all is well. Unfortunately this engine was taken apart when I started so I really don't have a good reference as to where things go.

In fact, I discovered today that there are heat shield things for my motor mounts that I didnt put on.....

Comment

Small update while day dreaming at work.... AC delete. As noted earlier, my AC compressor is just hanging by a zip tie. I don't know if it works and don't know where all the mounting bolts/brackets are. I'm planning on just taking that bitch outta there and cleaning up the bay a little bit. Should allow for more cooling too without the condenser in front of my radiator.

Comment

Pulled AC system. Found out it wasn't charged anyways. Cleaned up the engine bay quite nicely. Pictures later

Comment

Washed the engine bay today. Tucked some things away and tightened a couple loose bolts. Lazy Sunday.....

Comment

Working...
                                X