No announcement yet.

325es noob build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is a early style e30 that follows me to work in the morning. I need to get mine finished up so we can be friends! :)

Got my cluster installed yesterday, all seems to be working now except the SI lights are kind of tweaking out. Not sure whats up there, but tach works at least.

Finally started installing some of the cooling lines, then I got to that one between the firewall and the head.... It was at that point I realized how bad it would suck if these hoses leaked (they are older but still pliable) so I ordered a kit from ECS. Also picked up a new clutch slave cylinder since I found mine to be leaking.

Lastly, I wanted to check out my plugs to see how it's burning. A fair amount of soot, however I have not cleaned them since I first started running the engine, so they have seen some pretty crappy air/fuel mixtures. I'll have to clean them off and recheck. At least there is no oil. I mean there shouldn't be with good rings, and new stem seals. I never changed the valves guides, but they felt just fine.

Comment

Hey gang, so I don't know the shift pattern on these trannys. Don't have the top emblem on my shifter and never been in one. .... Left and up is reverse? Most of the knobs I see online show that, but a few are different.

Comment

Originally posted by BFT_Boyle View Post
        Hey gang, so I don't know the shift pattern on these trannys. Don't have the top emblem on my shifter and never been in one. .... Left and up is reverse? Most of the knobs I see online show that, but a few are different.
        When in neutral, the stick rests between 3 and 4. Left up is 1 and left down is 2. Extreme left up is reverse. You need to pull the shifter a bit harder to left to access the reverse.
        E30 Armo "330i"

Comment

Originally posted by Skarpa View Post
          When in neutral, the stick rests between 3 and 4. Left up is 1 and left down is 2. Extreme left up is reverse. You need to pull the shifter a bit harder to left to access the reverse.
          Thanks!

That's does make sense now. I got the shift linkage installed and was trying to feel my way through the gears and could feel that far left had a stronger spring return.

Comment

nice work so far

my first e30 was an 325e also

yes the valve cover has a breather hose to the side of the intake boot

another upgrade is to replace the plastic t fitting on the fuel lines with a brass one

you need a brass 5/16 t fitting or a brass 8mm t fitting like this

and a picture and link from my previous e30

-
            Project
            Parts for Sale
            Feedback
            YouTube Channel

Comment

i also recommend doing this little mod
              or replacing the cork gasket at the throttle body its common for it to leak

-
              Project
              Parts for Sale
              Feedback
              YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by iwantspeed View Post
                nice work so far

my first e30 was an 325e also

yes the valve cover has a breather hose to the side of the intake boot

another upgrade is to replace the plastic t fitting on the fuel lines with a brass one

you need a brass 5/16 t fitting or a brass 8mm t fitting like this

and a picture and link from my previous e30

Damn that thing is clean! I have seen the brass tee and I will likely do that. Noted on the TB gasket too. I'll have to read through your eta build. Looks like a good list to go off of.

Comment

The build thread used to be on e30tech.com but the website is down.

-
                  Project
                  Parts for Sale
                  Feedback
                  YouTube Channel

Comment

Modeled up a shifter cap to 3D print out. Cause why not :)

Comment

Found a better idea for a shifter cap. Nice OFE copper disk. I can stamp in the shift pattern then fill the embossment with engraving paint.

Comment

Just chillin'

Comment

Kind of off topic, but today marks 1 year since I f'd up my arm. Very fortunate to be able to turn a wrench today and still get "that stupid POS god damn nut onto the POS buried ass stud. God damn POS engineer" without too much difficulty ;)

On topic news is that my cooling hoses are coming this week 🤗 along with the clutch slave cylinder. Which means.... I might be able to take a test lap around the neighborhood!!!!

Comment

Oh and after much thought. I've got my heart set on a M50 (non-VANOS)swap down the road. It just seems like the most logical next step after I learn how to drive with the M20 installed. Ill be keeping my eye out for a good deal on a donor, but for now this is just early early thinking.

Comment

Where in CA are you? This is a pretty legit build. I think almost every current E30 owner must've started with an eta. The non-Vanos M50 is ok, but might as well make the most of the work you've done on the bottom end, and get a 731 (323i) head. It will be quite a bit of a jump from where you are at and a lot less work than the 24v swap

Also, that doesnt look like a ES. ES has Sport seats, Mtech1 steering wheel, front and rear spoilers (you're missing the cowcatcher), but most importantly the Sport cars (the 'S' in 'ES' ) have a Limited Slip differential. There should be a tag on the diff labelled S2.93
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:
                              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                                Where in CA are you? This is a pretty legit build. I think almost every current E30 owner must've started with an eta. The non-Vanos M50 is ok, but might as well make the most of the work you've done on the bottom end, and get a 731 (323i) head. It will be quite a bit of a jump from where you are at and a lot less work than the 24v swap

Also, that doesnt look like a ES. ES has Sport seats, Mtech1 steering wheel, front and rear spoilers (you're missing the cowcatcher), but most importantly the Sport cars (the 'S' in 'ES' ) have a Limited Slip differential. There should be a tag on the diff labelled S2.93
                                I'm in Grass Valley. Bout an hour East of Sacramento. I'll have to check out that 731 swap then. If I'd have known how far I would be invested into this M20, I might of just did the engine swap in the first place. It has been a really good learning experience though.

As far as the "S" model, I was unsure in the beginning. Yeah the badge is there (albeit it's not in the right spot. Blamed that on whoever painted it). It does have the M-tech I steering wheel, and the diff tag confirms 2.93 LSD. Sticker in the door jamb also confirms "es".

I know Google will show me the light, but the 731 head... Larger porting while retaining compression with the eta pistons or what?

Comment

Working...
                                X