1991 BMW E30 318iS Complete Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Split_S View Post
    Finally picked up an E30... a 318iS, DOB 07/01/91. I would have liked a m3 but
    my wallet didnt like the flared quarter panels...
    I thought this wasn't your first E30, and that you actually bought an M3?

Don't be too impressed- most of this stuff has gone pretty well and my posts are always a bit behind where I'm actually at!
    In this thread they're roughly 3 years behind by my estimate, give or take... ;-)

Just takes time to put the posts together...
    Shouldn't take you too long. ;D

Comment

Sharp dude... Guess you followed the thread!

I guess I should have originally posted on here while I was at it...
      Thought guys would like a thread that goes A-Z thru a full rebuild and I was looking forward to helping guys out along the way.

M3 was a nice twist that is now spoiled though..hehe

Comment

Sharp dude... Guess you followed the thread!
        I think we've probably actually met in person a few years ago; I might have even gone to look at a car a family member of yours was selling, too.

Either way, I recognized your screen name from our local forum. ;)

M3 was a nice twist that is now spoiled though..hehe
        I don't recall reading a thread about that one, so it's not really spoiled yet.

Comment

Interesting.. I don't recall though... Did you have an e30 at the time?
          The work I did on the M3 was incorporated into the thread. Im working on her again but not posting about it.

I thought twice about restarting this thread here - I just wanted to share the build with guys on here as I never posted it. I've edited the first post so people know.

I'll let the guys decide if they want me to continue with it..
          Last edited by Split_S; 11-29-2016, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Wait a second...

...are you also located in Ontario?!
            Steve • Toronto
            1991 318is • Brillantrot
            Build Thread

Comment

No... not far though.. Quebec..

Comment

I'm enjoying reading your thread! :) I remembered seeing it on a UK E30 forum a while back when I was researching something, so it makes a lot more sense now that you've explained that you're reposting it. As someone who's fairly new to working on cars, it was/is encouraging to see what you could accomplish by just going for it and jumping head first into a project like this.

Originally posted by Powling View Post
                I'll be following this closely. I just picked up a 318is and will be doing a lot of work on it over the winter as well so this will be a huge help!
                Removing the M42 didn't look too scary... ;)
                1994 E30 316i Design Edition Touring / 1991 E30 318is / 1992 E34 M5
                Instagram: @ro4d_runn3r

Comment

Glad to hear it. I never thought anyone would know or remember my thread - thats why I started this as a new one.. Having known guys wouldnt mind following a completed project I would have started it differently!
                  I can re-post it here on a regular basis and leave time for feedback/questions. I started this project as a total newbie with ZERO mechanical experience but learned so much along the way it seems a shame not to share it..
                  Good thing about this thread is you will see the project thru till the end with every step along the way... and I mean every step!

Comment

Well then, lets continue on...

Ok, so I figured out how to turn that welder on, its 220V so no more tumble dryer while I embarrass myself with this welder....
                    Now Ive NEVER welded but got a 30 minute lesson from a friend. Apparently sheet metal is the most difficult to weld because its so thin - welding is basically controlled melting so thin metal is easy to melt thru... great...

So on with my version of welding...
                    Now kindergarten was my highest academic achieving year and its paid off here:

Find some card board:

Make a template:

Cut it out: (you still with me?)

Transfer it:

Double check (this part is easy to skip...)

Take a picture with a pencil so it looks like you know what you're doing..

Cut template out then try bending it..

Fit...

Fit again... (AKA: whack the shizen out of it with a hammer)

Weld!! (Sincere apologies to those of you who know how to weld..)

My first ever welds - pretty damn challenging actually.. now to tackle the left hand corner which is gonna be a real $#%&!

Comment

Kinda forgot to post the first part of the floorpan welding...

Had to put out a small fire caused by grease and stupidity but soldiered on...

As some of you have noticed Im tack welding - Ive tried to do a continuous run but its a little beyond me right now (READ: Cant F%^$# do it!)

Bottom view:

How's that for penetration?

Work continues...

Comment

The LH side of the DS was pretty rusted out, so after cutting it out and grinding it:

I started with a template..

This idea while nice, didn't work. I couldn't bend it properly and just got angry... So I tossed it out and did this:

It was easier to bend the narrower pieces. Now I needed a piece to brace the top..

As I ground to clean up for the welding more rust appeared and required more patches.. Not pretty but stronger..

Had to cut out the outer edge and tack in a new one..

With the final piece welded in and a quick coat of primer

Por-15 it all and done..

Not beautiful but solid...

Comment

On to the passenger side..

Didn't look too bad with the sound-deadening still in place...

Once it was scrapped off however...

Lots of little areas to fix...

And this corner which looked to be a real challenge...

So I started with the easier stuff which was still a challenge because a few of the cutouts were curved making it tricky to fit the new steel.

Pretty ugly welds.. Didn't notice my gas wasn't flowing properly which gave me lots of trouble...

That grey stuff is like epoxy steel, I used it to smooth out the welds. That was stupid, I won't do it again... Live and learn...

With the smaller areas done I turned my attention to the problem corner area.. I puzzled over this angle for a while. Its the floorpan steel curving up to meet the door frame. I decided to cut it out and weld in a bent piece of steel. This would unite both sides and make it stronger.. Cutting it out was tricky due to the lack of space but it got done...

Quick coat of primer first..

Then on to template making...

Steel bending homestyle...

Holy Sh*t it fits!!!

Weld it in!! Hurry...

Nice...

Por-15 it and there you go...

Comment

Oh NO! More welding!!....

Problem:

Screwed this part up the first time. It's a tricky piece cause its curved (tricky for me that is...).. So on the second attempt..

WELD!

Not the best pic but its a smooth finish.. Im happy..

Im getting a new welding helmet - one of those auto darkening jobbies.
                            Mine is a PITA...I'll need it cause the next section of the car I'll
                            be doing is scaring me...

Comment

Fantastic!!
                              My previous build (currently E30-less)
                              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Funny, my '90 325i was rotten the same way along the passenger's floor, among other places; main reason why I scrapped it. Shame too, because I had known it since it was new, first BMW I ever rode in actually. If I knew then what I know now...
                                I'm in the middle of major rust repair on an NA Miata, to the point where most people would have sent this one to the scrap heap, although I saw a worse one on my last trip to the yard so that made me feel a little better haha. I've always wanted to learn rust repair though, and the car doesn't owe me anything so why not? I find the work a bit zen like actually; replacing rust and empty space with new solid metal. I get into my zone and can focus on what I'm doing and tune all of life's other BS out. I'm actually taking a break from trimming a rear quarter panel as I write this so I should get back to it!
                                Sub'd
                                '84 318i - Lapisblau/Schwarz (in cryosleep)
                                '06 330i - Titansilber/Schwarz

Comment

Working...
                                X