No announcement yet.

The Latest & Greatest: 1994 (E30) 316i Daytona Violet Design Edition Touring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Latest & Greatest: 1994 (E30) 316i Daytona Violet Design Edition Touring

The E30 Design Edition touring is just about unknown outside of Germany, and very little English language information exists on the model (something I will change with another thread in the future).

The Design Edition - called Motorsport Design Edition in the United Kingdom and Canada - was created in 1991 for the E30 convertible in an effort to provide customers with a special model with unique options at the end of the production run. Design Edition convertibles came in two colours, neonblau metallic and neongruen metallic with matching sport cloth interiors, and were produced for the 1991 and 1992 model years.

Due to the success of the Design Edition convertible, BMW created the Design Edition touring to be sold at the end of their production run, sold from 1993 to 1994 - the last of the E30 models produced. Design Edition tourings were offered in daytonaviolet metallic, mugellorot, mauritiusblau metallic, lagunengrun metallic, micascharz metallic and sterlingsilber metallic, with closely matching neon green or blue, or matching purple or red sport cloth interiors (silver and mica cars could be ordered with any of the fabric colour options). Only two engines were offered in the Design Edition touring: the 1.6 L M40 and 1.8 L M40.

Daytona violet is actually the metallic version of the purple found in the original BMW Motorsport stripe, which was changed to a dark navy blue after the partnership with Castrol concluded.

Now, on to the specifics of my car:

Type AJ11
    Model 316i - EUR
    Series E30 (3 Series)
    Chassis TOUR
    Steering LL
    Doors 5
    Engine M40
    Displacement 1.60
    Power 73kw / 99hp
    Drivetrain HECK
    Transmission MECH
    Color Daytona-violett Metallic - 283
    Upholstery Violett Meliert - Zs Stoff - 0492
    Production Plant DINGOLFING
    Production Date 1993-12-01

Options
    215 Power Steering, depending On Engine Speed
    240 Leather Steering Wheel
    288 Lt/aly Wheels
    300 Central Electric
    314 Heated Windscreen Washer Nozzles
    320 Model Designation, Deletion
    401 Sliding/vent Roof, Electric
    413 Luggage Compartment Net
    423 Floor Mats, Velour
    428 Warning Triangle
    481 Sport Seats F Driver/front Passenger
    498 Headrests In Rear, Mechanic. Adjustable
    510 Headlight Beam-throw Contr. F Low Beam
    520 Foglights
    545 Tach, km/h speedometer, analog , EC
    650 Bmw Bavaria C
    681 Roof antenna
    799 E30 Individual Series 92
    801 Germany Version
    915 No Outer Skin Protection

The story:

September 2016

“WARNING: YOU ARE GOING TO LOVE THIS CAR.”

That was the exact message that started it all, sent to my partner from his dad, along with a link to a 1994 316i design edition touring in beautiful daytona violet for sale in Germany. My partner knew I'd grown to love E30 tourings as much as he has for many years thanks to my 1988 320i Touring (you can find my project thread for that car here) and sent me the link. It was an absolutely gorgeous gem of a car in stunning condition. We couldn't believe how nice it was, and the fact that the seller’s asking price was low enough that it might be feasible to import it from Germany. So that left me with a tough question to think over… would I seriously consider going after that car?

After talking it over, we decided it would be well worth the effort. Since it was a ’94, it would be too new to import into the US until it reaches the 25 year mark, but nothing would stop me from importing it into Canada, where we “only” have to wait 15 years. This was my dream car, and there was no way another opportunity like this would come along. My SO was still shocked by the fact that I even had a dream car (it took me a while… you can read the backstory here) and was extremely supportive of the whole idea. ;D He explained that if I was really interested in that car, it would take a lot of work on my part but he knew he could make it happen. The one huge downside: I would have to sell my ‘88 320i Touring. (That, and I'd become the owner of one of the slowest E30s in existence... but I could always fix that detail in the future. :devil:)

I still didn’t know how I was going to get the touring from Germany to Canada, or if it would work out at all, but I would soon find out! I started getting shipping quotes and researching the process, but realized that even if we handled all of the paperwork, we still had no way to inspect the car and get the car to the port without someone helping us on the other side. Handling the payment and communicating with the seller was going to be problematic as well. My SO contacted a local car importer he'd known of for over 15 years, as well as someone in Germany who helps North Americans import cars from Germany, to see if either of them could help us with the process.

The next morning, we heard back from the German importer, who was fully booked. My SO’s contact replied and said he could help with the project. It was already too late, though -- the ad for the car was gone. %$#&. Well, so much for that. :(

The next day, my partner found a listing for another touring that was almost exactly the same, except it was lower mileage and in better condition. I have no idea what the odds of that were, but I was unbelievably lucky to get a second chance! :D

I didn't want to lose out on this car while we worked out the details with the importer, so I contacted the seller directly by email. Since I don’t speak German, I translated my message using Google Translate and hoped for the best. I’d read that most Germans speak English, but it turned out that this seller did not. I explained why I was interested in the car and asked him if he would be willing to sell it to me in Canada. I quickly realized how hard it was to write a message like that without coming off as a total scammer. Styleprojekt on r3v, who imported a Touring from Germany last year, explained it perfectly:

Originally posted by Styleprojekt View Post
    Here is where it gets tricky
    - Convincing the seller that this magic person from oversees wants to buy their car. To Europeans, a 25 year old bmw is nothing special and they sometimes respond in a confusing manner..."why would you want this, isnt that expensive?". On top of that, most will never actually meet the seller, so you have to gain their trust for the transaction...to them, it sounds similar to "I am Nigerian Prince calling you for my heritage of 2 million dollars".
    The seller would also have to be okay with holding the car while I arranged to have it picked up and taken to the port, which was a lot to ask when he could just sell it to someone locally without the added hassle. The seller lived near Frankfurt, nowhere near the shipping port in Bremerhaven, which made things more difficult.

The next day rolled around and I hadn’t heard back from the seller. I couldn’t stop thinking about it. Had I just sent the seller a bunch of gibberish? Was the car already sold? I sent a short follow up message, even though I wasn’t sure if it would do more harm than good. Scammers never send well-intentioned, courteous follow-up messages, right?

The seller replied that he had no problem selling the car to me. YEAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!! :D He even offered to “help for a few days with overnight stay," though unfortunately a trip to Germany was not in the cards for me. He told me that the car has no rust, the engine and transmission were in top condition, and all fluids including all filters and oils were recently changed. On top of all that, he sent me over 50 additional pictures of the car!

The importer’s associate in Germany inspected the car for us and even took it for a test drive. He reported that it drove great, was very clean, and there was literally no rust on it! We even got to see videos of his impressions of driving the car which was amazing. :mrgreen: He put a deposit on the car, and was even able to negotiate the price down slightly, which was surprising. From what I had read, Germans generally advertise their lowest possible price when selling online, don’t tend to give discounts on the price, and it’s considered rude to discuss the price at the beginning of the transaction.

He identified a few small issues:
    1. The rear wiper fluid hose is cracked and detached from the system, so when the sprayer button is pressed it shoots fluid inside the back.
    2. The muffler is attached with “hurricane straps.”
    3. The trim piece outside the passenger front window is broken.
    4. There are a couple of dents (planning to take care of these with paintless dent repair when we get it).
    5. Some interior parts are worn / cracked (should be relatively easy to source replacements).

We sent the rest of the funds for the car purchase, and waited for the sale to be finalized - the deposit was supposed to hold the car for a week, which was just about up. According to the importer, his associate couldn’t reach the seller to get him to sign a contract before closing the deal. What?! I’d never had a problem contacting the seller, and I don’t even speak the language! I messaged the seller, who sent me the whole chat history with the agent in Germany. The seller was getting lots of local offers and was confused about if I was even buying the car or not since the agent was asking him to hold the car for longer than they'd planned. I carefully ironed out the situation (there's no way I was going to lose the car!) and tried to convey in what I hoped was decently translated German that he was my hero for being such a great seller. He agreed to hold the car for a while longer, and a week later we got the signed purchase agreement. It was official!

October 2016

We were told the car would be picked up on October 11th and was scheduled to arrive in Canada at the port in Halifax, Nova Scotia on the 28th. It could take up to a week to unload the ship that the car was travelling on. The importer would then work on getting the Ontario registration processed, translate the title into English, and get BMW to verify the date of production.

I was hoping that we could arrange to pick up the car in Halifax and drive it back to Toronto, which would make an amazing road trip, but the car has to be inspected and registered in Ontario before I can take ownership of it.

November 2016

Canada Customs released the car in Halifax at the beginning of the month, right around when my ’88 320i was officially sold. We received the original ownership papers and some documents from the previous owner.

At the moment, we're waiting for the car to be loaded on a train once they've assembled a full rail car to ship out. It will take another two weeks or so after that for it to arrive in Toronto.

I can't wait to see it in person! :mrgreen:
    1994 E30 316i Design Edition Touring / 1991 E30 318is / 1992 E34 M5
    Instagram: @ro4d_runn3r

LOVE the colour so much! Excited to see it!
    Steve • Toronto
    1991 318is • Brillantrot
    Build Thread

Comment

Congrats on the new car. Amazing color and condition.

What are your plans for it if any?

s50 | e30

Comment

Cool car and even cooler story!
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316212

BMWCCA #398608
        IG @yagayo38

"The Best E30's were built with two camshafts four cylinders and sixteen valves!".

Comment

Originally posted by Roadrunner View Post
          The E30 Design Edition touring is just about unknown outside of Germany, and very little English language information exists on the model (something I will change with another thread in the future).

The Design Edition - called Motorsport Design Edition in the United Kingdom and Canada - was created in 1991 for the E30 convertible in an effort to provide customers with a special model with unique options at the end of the production run. Design Edition convertibles came in two colours, neonblau metallic and neongruen metallic with matching sport cloth interiors, and were produced for the 1991 and 1992 model years.

Due to the success of the Design Edition convertible, BMW created the Design Edition touring to be sold at the end of their production run, sold from 1993 to 1994 - the last of the E30 models produced. Design Edition tourings were offered in daytonaviolet metallic, mugellorot, mauritiusblau metallic, lagunengrun metallic, micascharz metallic and sterlingsilber metallic, with closely matching neon green or blue, or matching purple or red sport cloth interiors (silver and mica cars could be ordered with any of the fabric colour options). Only two engines were offered in the Design Edition touring: the 1.6 L M40 and 1.8 L M40.

Daytona violet is actually the metallic version of the purple found in the original BMW Motorsport stripe, which was changed to a dark navy blue after the partnership with Castrol concluded.
          I'll add to my information above that these cars also were equipped with a really neat options package. This particular car has a super rare shark fin antenna and cargo cover with a net, but they all came with rear head rests, fog lights, a power sunroof (but with manual crank windows) and other goodies. ;D

“WARNING: YOU ARE GOING TO LOVE THIS CAR.”

That was the exact message that started it all, sent to my partner from his dad, along with a link to a 1994 316i design edition touring in beautiful daytona violet for sale in Germany. My partner knew I'd grown to love E30 tourings as much as he has for many years thanks to my 1988 320i Touring (you can find my project thread for that car here) and sent me the link.
          What my dad didn't know when he sent me that, is that I had design edition tourings in my short list of favourite modern classic BMWs for years, and at the top of my favourite E30s just under the M3. The only thing that's kept me from pursuing one of these myself is my E30 M3, but now I get to enjoy one of these as well. :D

After talking it over, we decided it would be well worth the effort. Since it was a ’94, it would be too new to import into the US until it reaches the 25 year mark, but nothing would stop me from importing it into Canada, where we “only” have to wait 15 years.
          The lack of competition from American buyers definitely helps Canadians find and afford cars if they don't procrastinate too long.

He explained that if I was really interested in that car, it would take a lot of work on my part but he knew he could make it happen. The one huge downside: I would have to sell my ‘88 320i Touring. (That, and I'd become the owner of one of the slowest E30s in existence... but I could always fix that detail in the future. :devil:)
          For those of you reading this who haven't met her, she was - and is - REALLY upset about selling her 320i. Thankfully the buyer's a really nice guy, which really helps knowing it's going to a great new owner.

My SO’s contact replied and said he could help with the project. It was already too late, though -- the ad for the car was gone. %$#&. Well, so much for that. :(

The next day, my partner found a listing for another touring that was almost exactly the same, except it was lower mileage and in better condition. I have no idea what the odds of that were, but I was unbelievably lucky to get a second chance! :D
          I've been looking every day since and nothing even close to the condition of this car has been offered for sale; it definitely seems like this was meant to happen. :D

I didn't want to lose out on this car while we worked out the details with the importer, so I contacted the seller directly by email.
          You did a fantastic job communicating with the seller. I'm sure you would not have the car if you hadn't handled yourself as well as you did. ;)

The seller replied that he had no problem selling the car to me. YEAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!! :D He even offered to “help for a few days with overnight stay," though unfortunately a trip to Germany was not in the cards for me. He told me that the car has no rust, the engine and transmission were in top condition, and all fluids including all filters and oils were recently changed. On top of all that, he sent me over 50 additional pictures of the car!
          It was a stunning response - exactly what you'd hope to receive from a seller, but rarely ever do.

I can't wait to see it in person! :mrgreen:
          Me neither! :p

Originally posted by scotte30 View Post
          Congrats on the new car. Amazing color and condition.

What are your plans for it if any?
          We're going to start with getting it safely home, then we'll look the entire car over to see what it needs. The temperature will determine what we're able to tackle in the short term.

Comment

Congrats on the amazing purchase!
            I also have a 316i with M40 with pretty much the same option list with yours down to badge delete and euroweaves which I swapped M20B25 into.
            I'm really jealous of you and if you ever decide to move on in the far future let me know!!
            sigpic

Comment

I vote these two for r3v couple of the year.

Awesome car, I had never heard of these- can't wait to see what you do with it!

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
              Transaction feedback
              - jpod999

Comment

I love a purple BMW. On an E30 touring? Even better. Awesome car! Looks like it's in great shape too. I just did a ctrl-f for rust. No rust is a bonus. My E30 was my first truly rust free car, and I gotta say, having a rust free car is totally not overrated! Such a joy to be able to work on it without having to break out the PB Blaster.

Is it as slow as I think it is? Note: I daily drive a 90hp MK2 Jetta. Will you be making some changes to fix that?

I'll go back and read the book you wrote on it later.

Comment

Great story, and fantastic looking car! Congrats!!

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |

Comment

Beautiful color! You should buy my friends Daytona Violet ix to go along with it :p
                    My Garage
                    2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                    1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                    1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                    Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Very cool car, have seen a couple around here for sale and you are right. For most people its just an old BMW.

I'm surprised to see one in this good shape, have fun with it! Why not keep the engine? 316 e30's where never sold in North America right?
                      Instagram : makeitsnap

1985 e28 520i

Comment

Just awesome!! Very cool story! always had something for the tourings!
                        E30 now S52
                        2008 Suburban LTZ (Family and TT hauler)
                        325xiT (Sold)

sigpic

Comment

so awesome, that car is gorgeous! and with the purple mtech interior, it also talks dirty.

can i ask what price the seller listed a car like this for?

Comment

What a great find and great story. I'm very interested in seeing what you do with it.
                            '89 Schwarz E30 M3 Cabriolet Build

Comment

very nice find good luck with her she is a lady so be gentle

Comment

Working...
                              X