1989 325is Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AwakenNoMore View Post
    I'm curious about your ICV delete. How's that been working out? Details?
    Its been really good. No CELS's or issue with cold starts at temps around 20F. All I do is keep the revs up to around 2k (maybe 15-20s), right after start to get some oil pressure and heat into the engine. I have the throttle body set screw keeping the idle at 700rpm and once its fully warm it stays dead nuts at 700, none of the classic m20 "surging" idle. Might not be for some with the little warm up routine, but I don't mind at all. I think the "trade off" is worth it for the intake simplicity and less chance of vacuum leaks and such.
    Last edited by sampayne; 01-15-2018, 09:50 AM.

Originally posted by 2mAn
    The BMW V6 is the best

Comment

Small Update:

Finally got some pictures of the Matt B shift boot set my girlfriend gave me for my birthday.
      High quality stuff. Matches the seats well, very pleased.

Beginning to piece together the stroker. Starting with a very slimy seta block. (2 cans of of degreaser later, and it looks a little better)

Also picked up an 885 head, oil pan, baffle and some fancy i.e. hardware in a trade, which makes up a majority of everything I need.

It's going to be a pretty straight forward SETA stroker, but here is the rundown anyway:

-885 head - hot tank, decked(if needed), new valve guides, valve job.
      -New febi rockers, or reground original rockers (if cheaper)
      -272 cam, debating between regrind or new
      -SETA bottom end - no refresh here, just doing all seals, gaskets, etc.
      -Crank scraper and baffle
      -Squid chip tune
      -19lb injectors
      -m30 AFM

Budget build is the name of the game here, but let me know what you guys think.

The BMW V6 is the best

Comment

very cool build. Does the Squid chip compensate for the missing ICV? How does that not throw any codes?

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
          very cool build. Does the Squid chip compensate for the missing ICV? How does that not throw any codes?
          Nope, I unplugged the ICV and just left the connector dangling. Not sure why it doesn't throw a code either. Runs really well.

The BMW V6 is the best

Comment

I would throw in new crank bearings...

just because the dude before me did the same thing and i spun a rod
            Paynemw
            1986 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - Sold!
            the ebb and flow of 325is ownership - In RVA
            1988 BMW 535is - RIP but my dream BMW

Comment

Originally posted by paynemw View Post
              I would throw in new crank bearings...

just because the dude before me did the same thing and i spun a rod
              Yeah, I've been debating that. Trying to avoid going down the rabbit hole of "while I'm in there..." Are new main and con rod bearings a good idea without polishing the crank? As in, would it be counter productive to put fresh bearings on a used crank, which might just foul up the bearings, if the crank has some wear on it?

Thanks for the input.

The BMW V6 is the best

Comment

It's been a little while...time for an update.
                Due to my "reliable daily" not be reliable nor my daily throughout this summer, I have accomplished way less than I would have liked too.

So instead of working on the car, I've been stockpiling(hoarding?) parts instead. Pretty surprising..right?

Anyway, I've always wanted to do a 5 lug swap for the ability to run some yummy style 5's. However, the cost of doing a proper 5 lug
                swap never put it at the top of the list. It was just one of those "one day, in the future, when I have more money" kind of things.

Found a crazy steal on craigslist, and next thing I know, I'm driving home with a complete 5 lug swap in the trunk. Complete 318ti rear trailing arms
                with e30 axles, e36 calipers, rotors, flanges and adaptor kit to bolt everything together. The kit is not perfect, instead on taping the axle
                for the LH bolt, the po just welded the axle nut right to the knuckle...So that will have to be sorted out. Probably going to need to buy new
                axle nuts, LH bolt and ditch those strut tubes. But its 90% there.

Additionally, it looks like I'm going to be able run these massive mitsubishi calipers. After doing a little research, it appears that e46 325i rotors
                are the same size as the 4 lug rotors that came with this kit. So I'll eventually have frankenstein 5 lug bbk on the car..

On to some small stuff I did to the car today. Replaced my old broken glove box.

Feels good to be able to close it easily with one hand as compared to before..

Also got around to changing out the blower motor resistor. Upon testing the new one, I figure out the old, sticky bearings in the motor are
                most likely what burned out the old resistor, as it still didn't work on the lowest setting. A combination of the old worn out motor and
                junky bearings made it so the fan couldn't turn over... I oiled the bearings and that seemed to fix the issue. I'm not too confident that will last
                very long, but its good enough for now... Also, if I ever get my truck running, the e30 will not see too much cold weather, so I won't be
                running the fan too often.

Also noticed that a side cover appears to be missing....? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it definitely looks like there should be a
                matching flap like on the other side. Going to have to search for one of those.

That's all for now.

The BMW V6 is the best

Comment

keep on working dude
                  Paynemw

Comment

keep on working dude
                    Once I get the truck running I'll be able to get some real work done on the e30...soon hopefully..

The BMW V6 is the best

Comment

It's been a little while. Figured I'd do a small update.

I happened upon a really good deal on a 1998 318ti. 92,000 miles, many service receipts.
                      New brakes, new exhaust, etc....
                      Unfortunately, it's an automatic, but its in great shape and the AC works, so it will make a great daily.
                      I had to make room for the ti, so I sold the hardbody.

Finally got around to replacing the guibo, and I'm glad I did...Looks like it was ready to let go very soon.

Still collecting parts for the stroker. HD rockers and E.I. billet 272 ;D

Getting the block ready for paint. I'm deciding if I want to go ahead and paint it, or wait until
                      I have access to a welder to removed a broken engine mount bolt from the block and then paint.
                      I might just shoot it with primer for now..

E30 East Picnic is at the end of the month, so I plan to get some cosmetic stuff done in preparation for that.

Thats all I have for now.

The BMW V6 is the best

Comment

You should atleast put in new rod bearings in. I spun a rod bearing and that forced me into a huge engine rebuild. If I had just put in new rod bearings I wouldn't bee $4G into an engine build.
                        Paynemw

Comment

You should atleast put in new rod bearings in. I spun a rod bearing and that forced me into a huge engine rebuild. If I had just put in new rod bearings I wouldn't bee $4G into an engine build.
                          Ah, definitely a good idea, I'll look into it.

The BMW V6 is the best

Comment

and get a crank scraper & oil pan baffle if you plan on getting sendy
                            Paynemw

Comment

and get a crank scraper & oil pan baffle if you plan on getting sendy
                              Already acquired!

The BMW V6 is the best

Comment

Working...
                              X