No announcement yet.

E28: Eggenberger Group A E28 Tribute Build Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry I didn't continue to update this thread! I got sidetracked, and well... that's just how it goes sometimes. :D

For the engine side of the build, it's honestly not all too interesting, partly because I didn't take any photos of the process, save for a few.

I think I touched on it before, but one of the liberties I took in building my Group A replica was that I didn't really want to use the 2.8 M30. While it would have been the correct engine, I've always endeared the M5, and so I wanted to build the Gr. A M5 that never was. So, under the sheet metal, the "Parts Car" is all M5.

I bought a donor car that had a complete M5 driveline - the PO originally owned an M5, wrecked it, bought another car, and swapped everything over, including things like the black headliner, door sills, and other tidbits. He was very thorough. As such, I was essentially buying an M5 donor car, minus the vin. The driveline had 124k miles and fantastic compression numbers when I pulled it from the driving donor. It ran great, and I didn't have a real reason to tear it down other than I wanted to do some maintenance while the engine was out of the car.

Chloe was there to help.

Maintenance began as "I want to do all of the timing components. So I ordered everything to the tune of a few thousand dollars (S38 problems) and got to work.

However, in order to do the S38 timing components correctly, you need to pull the head. And since I had it off, I figured why not redo it. So I sent the head out and had it completely rebuilt, with new valves, seals, etc.

As far as performance changes, I wanted to keep in mind what an M5 Group A car would have been like. The 528is were not that hopped up, as the FIA rules didn't allow much more than cam changes and a .6mm overbore. I thought about making changes according to the rulebook, but decided on keeping it simple: since the S38 was never homologated, I wanted to run it in factory trim. The only modifications came in the form of a lightweight JB Racing flywheel, a ClutchMasters 6 puck clutch, and euro headers.

The transmission is of course the M5 G280, as fragile as it may be. Everything I could convert to M5 has been. Aside from the VIN, I'd call my car as thorough as they come, for the most part.

I didn't want to paint the bay or anything like that, since I figure I'll be working in it a lot and don't want to worry about nicking the paint or silly things like that. Overall, the bay is in great shape as is, although it could use a detail.
    We did go through and refinish all of the engine bits while they were off the car, which helped.

Comment

I think the thing I miss the most about my M5 is the sound of the S38. Have any sound clips? I bet it sounds mean.
      cars beep boop

Comment

It's been a few years and 2020 is nuts, how is this car?
        My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

he sold it 2/11/19

https://stanceworks.com/2019/02/the-...or-a-new-home/
          318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
          '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Working...
          X